News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

What the hell?

Started by Requia ☣, November 03, 2010, 06:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

From NPR:  For the first time, the department of labor is actually enforcing labor rules and going to court to have a Massey Energy coal mine to be shut down for safety violations.

Apparently I can still be surprised by politics.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 03, 2010, 06:06:28 PM
From NPR:  For the first time, the department of labor is actually enforcing labor rules and going to court to have a Massey Energy coal mine to be shut down for safety violations.

Apparently I can still be surprised by politics.

I guess you missed the whole 69 days trapped in a mine thing down in Chile huh?

It's not political it's financial. 

Requia ☣

I'm not sure what people *not* dying in Chile has to do with American mines where people do die.  :?

Doktor Howl

Sounds like someone didn't own the right congressmen.
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 03, 2010, 06:14:29 PM
I'm not sure what people *not* dying in Chile has to do with American mines where people do die.  :?

First off people die in mines across the globe, it's not an american thing.

Second, it's called covering one's ass before something happens and they get the pants sued off of them.  Here in the US, the chain is simple...

Survivors sue the mine owners who then sue the state because of the inspectors who then pawn it off on someone else, usually a federal entity and you can't sue the federal government, well you can try.....

If the inspections were done properly and the mines shut down until they could pass inspection how may cave ins and deaths would be avoided?  

Chile is a (not seriously but yeah) third world country in comparison and this recent trapped in a mine was and is and will probably continue to be in the front of a lot of american's minds.  The DoL had to do this.  Make an example fast to make us look better and more on top of our bullshit.  Because what happened in Chile could happen here just as easily.  Mine inspections and infractions from such mean little or nothing to the owners.  Why?  Because no one has the balls to back them into a corner to fix the shit.  How do they get away with it?  No one is paying attention.

Now the whole world is watching the mines and their owners.  This is most likely a one time thing to show the people they are doing the good thing and once everyone finds another disaster to focus on, things will go right back to normal.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Khara on November 03, 2010, 06:31:18 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 03, 2010, 06:14:29 PM
I'm not sure what people *not* dying in Chile has to do with American mines where people do die.  :?

First off people die in mines across the globe, it's not an american thing.

Second, it's called covering one's ass before something happens and they get the pants sued off of them.  Here in the US, the chain is simple...

Survivors sue the mine owners who then sue the state because of the inspectors who then pawn it off on someone else, usually a federal entity and you can't sue the federal government, well you can try.....

If the inspections were done properly and the mines shut down until they could pass inspection how may cave ins and deaths would be avoided?  

Chile is a (not seriously but yeah) third world country in comparison and this recent trapped in a mine was and is and will probably continue to be in the front of a lot of american's minds.  The DoL had to do this.  Make an example fast to make us look better and more on top of our bullshit.  Because what happened in Chile could happen here just as easily.  Mine inspections and infractions from such mean little or nothing to the owners.  Why?  Because no one has the balls to back them into a corner to fix the shit.  How do they get away with it?  No one is paying attention.

Now the whole world is watching the mines and their owners.  This is most likely a one time thing to show the people they are doing the good thing and once everyone finds another disaster to focus on, things will go right back to normal.

What happened in Chile is worse than what happened in the US this year?

Doktor Howl

Your post above seemed to indicate that people only die in American mines.
Molon Lube

Requia ☣

Not my intention, I just don't understand why an accident where nobody died in a different country would take primacy over an accident where 29 people died here in the US.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think the intention is not to have it occur again period
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 03, 2010, 06:42:59 PM
Not my intention, I just don't understand why an accident where nobody died in a different country would take primacy over an accident where 29 people died here in the US.

Because the public (not residents of W VA) has already forgotten that 29 men died in an explosion in a mine.  Just like they have forgotten the other 39 combined deaths in Kentucky.  And they will forget the next hundred deaths.  Why?  Same reason why everyone thinks things are peachy keen in New Orleans or Haiti or anywhere else that is still devastated by death and disaster.  It wasn't in their face long enough.

Those men trapped in that mine in Chile have done more for miners worldwide by living than they ever would have if they had died.  People don't forget when it is in their face daily for that length of time!

Requia ☣

Quote from: Khara on November 03, 2010, 07:01:37 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 03, 2010, 06:42:59 PM

Because the public (not residents of W VA) has already forgotten that 29 men died in an explosion in a mine.  Just like they have forgotten the other 39 combined deaths in Kentucky.  And they will forget the next hundred deaths.  Why?  Same reason why everyone thinks things are peachy keen in New Orleans or Haiti or anywhere else that is still devastated by death and disaster.  It wasn't in their face long enough.

Those men trapped in that mine in Chile have done more for miners worldwide by living than they ever would have if they had died.  People don't forget when it is in their face daily for that length of time!

Fuck.  You're right.   :horrormirth:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2010, 06:17:40 PM
Sounds like someone didn't own the right congressmen.
Massey's CEO does own a West Virginia supreme court judge. It looks like someone went over his head.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘