News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Erisian Brewer's Cadre. Or: How I saw the Goddess in the first place

Started by Richter, November 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

We had done a gallon of something called "Joe's Ancient Mead" with raisins, orange, cinnamon and junk and just moved it into the secondary last night.
Smells like friggin gasoline.
It should be better after some bottle aging.

Triple Zero

BTW someone said a mead would take very long before it's done. But the recipe I posted on the previous page is really very quick. But a mead is basically just stuff you brew with honey instead of sugar, right? I personally just use honey instead of sugar because I dunno, it matters little and sugar is boring :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Exactly, the honey provides the main sugar to ferment.  I've never tried it honey + water + yeast, since every recipe I've ever seen adds spices or fruit flavors.  I suspect it wouldn't be good.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Reginald Ret

Did that once but my yeast was dead so I just had sweet water to drink.
I drank it anyway out of principle.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Sir Squid Diddimus

We did a plain flavored mead with no spices.
It's pretty good actually.

We just bottled our imperial stout. MMmmmmm.
It's gonna be better come december or january. (and then later)
There's a noticeable difference in the bitterness after the dry hopping. Takes most of it out.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Richter on November 05, 2010, 01:32:46 PM
Quote from: Out of Order on November 04, 2010, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: Suu Cool for School. on November 04, 2010, 06:45:38 PM
Quote from: Out of Order on November 04, 2010, 06:25:12 PM
Quote from: Richter on November 04, 2010, 06:07:37 PM
(NOTE: Honey in Everclear is NOT quickmead.  It's more akin to the Krupnikas I mentioned about, which is "Kill yo ass" booze)

I don't mean to threadjack in any way but that line was funny as hell!!!!  I am massively intrigued with who would think that and why....

Sorry!

Well, sometimes brews don't go as expected. Sometimes your cider is so bad you HAVE to add whiskey to it to "improve" it.

Oh I completely misunderstood, I thought that someone had mixed honey and Everclear from the get go to make mead.  Sorry!

Nono, you heard right.  They were two seperate incidents.

One was a story of someone passing around honey + everclear as "quickmead".  (Really not mead by many definitions of the term!) 
The other incident was my brewing attempt from last year.  I let 3 gallons of cider go natural, and did 3 gallons with honey, cinamon, and a champagne yeast.  The straight cider was not so good.  Not the best year, so very bitter.  The mead wasn't much better.  A few months of devoted drinking / giving away / throwing away, I still ahd some of each.  It had gotten a bit of weird flavor form sitting in the jugs, with sediment, but had cleared and mellowed nicely otherwise from the bitterness.  I mixed them together.  To mask the weird flavor I added whiskey, and submitted it for the brewing competition at a small local SCA event labelled as "Faelan's Armor Cleaner".  It was pronounced "Surprisingly drinkable!"
I would definitely drink someone called Armor Cleaner.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Squid, I finally opened the first bottle of my Russian Imperial Stout.

I found it smooth and chocolaty, and dangerously drinkable.  It definitely did not taste like it was 12% ABV.

Here is a pic of my Belgian golden strong with strawberries.

Even though it has aged for five months, it still has a very strong strawberry aroma.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Precious Moments Zalgo

Sir Squid Diddimus

do you remember how much priming sugar you used to carbonate your stout? we used 3/4c for the 5 gallon bucket

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on November 08, 2010, 04:45:49 PM
do you remember how much priming sugar you used to carbonate your stout? we used 3/4c for the 5 gallon bucket
I figure 2g of corn sugar makes roughly 1g of CO2.  I was shooting for 5g CO2 / liter (about 2.5 volumes), and IIRC I had 16 liters to bottle, so that would have taken 160g of corn sugar.

Sir Squid Diddimus

:argh!: damn metrics! all makin sense and shit!

so a cup is about 100 grams if google is correct, which means we should have slightly less... but then you also.. did.. with..

oh my.

head explode.

It should work.