News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Erisian Brewer's Cadre. Or: How I saw the Goddess in the first place

Started by Richter, November 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 15, 2011, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: Luna on June 15, 2011, 02:41:03 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 15, 2011, 02:33:15 PM
My plan for my next project is a methlegin (herbed mead) herbed with licorice, or possibly fennel or anise.

Oh, my...  Let me know how that goes, it sounds interesting!

Will do.  It's my first serious attempt at a mead.  I made some years ago, but I did it in 2 liter bottles, this is going to be in a proper carboy and taken much more careful care of.

My first attempt with mead is still fermenting...  Another month or so to go, I think.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

My plan for my next project is a methlegin (herbed mead) herbed with licorice, or possibly fennel or anise.

Be careful with those sharp herbs, they can make something very bitter. I would recommend putting them in the primary OR secondary, but not both. The smell also gets into everything, especially if you get fresh.

My former housemates and I made an anisette, which, although delicious when it was done, made me sick after the smell of star anise permeated everything in the kitchen, my downstairs workroom and their office. It got into EVERYTHING and made us nauseous, so use sparingly. It took about 2 weeks for the smell to go away after we used up all the anise and the liqueur was contained in a jar.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Your Evil Stepmother on June 15, 2011, 03:41:18 PM

Be careful with those sharp herbs, they can make something very bitter. I would recommend putting them in the primary OR secondary, but not both. The smell also gets into everything, especially if you get fresh.

My former housemates and I made an anisette, which, although delicious when it was done, made me sick after the smell of star anise permeated everything in the kitchen, my downstairs workroom and their office. It got into EVERYTHING and made us nauseous, so use sparingly. It took about 2 weeks for the smell to go away after we used up all the anise and the liqueur was contained in a jar.

I'd like everything smelling like anise, but my wife would not so thanks for the warning.

I'll probably put it in the primary.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Jenne

How good is summertime for making booze, y'all?  I will have time and $ to do so (finally), but I wanted to know if it's best to brew when it's colder or warmer?

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Jenne on June 16, 2011, 03:15:18 AM
How good is summertime for making booze, y'all?  I will have time and $ to do so (finally), but I wanted to know if it's best to brew when it's colder or warmer?
Depends on what you're brewing and where you keep your fermenter.  English, American, and German style beers do better when it's colder.  Belgian and French style beers do better when it's warmer.  All kinds of beer prefer steady or gradually changing temps to fluctuating temps.

Summertime is great for making Saisons.  Saison yeasts like to be in the 80's or even 90's.  Start it at room temperature, and let it build up to the higher temps.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Jenne on June 16, 2011, 03:15:18 AM

California summertime (at elast Southern California) is hot enough that you are gonna need to cool down the beer or wine a bit or you'll get all sorts of off flavors.  Even in a Saison.  On the other hand if it is in your house in your air conditioning it should be fine.

-Dok Howl

Jenne

Ok, what's the max temp then?  Summers in San Diego are actually DAMN mild...it's our FALL/AUTUMN season that tends to be hotter than hell.  September/October temps here are in the 80's and 90's...

Sir Squid Diddimus

Jenne

BOOZE, MAN!

In all seriousness, I've been MEANING to brew something for a while now, but haven't had the time.  I will shortly have some.  But I was worried about the temps that I'd be dealing with in the near future.  I'm thinking if I start say this weekend and giter bubbling by the end of the month, I'd beat the onslaught of summer heat coming at the end of July and August.

Jenne

Precious Moments Zalgo

Different yeast strains have different preferred temperature ranges.  You can see a chart of the most common homebrewer beer yeasts here:
http://byo.com/resources/yeast

Coopers Ale yeast is a dry yeast that is pretty versatile and has a wide temperature range, 68-80F.  I have used that yeast in several kinds of beer, and also in cider.

If your house is air conditioned, then any dark place inside your house should be good enough for most ale yeasts.  You could also keep your fermenter in a wash-tub or large bucket with water and wrap a towel around it.  As the towel wicks up the water and the water evaporates, it will cool your fermenter down.  This works even better if you can keep a fan blowing on it.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Jenne on June 17, 2011, 07:29:49 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on June 17, 2011, 05:26:11 AM
Max temp for what?
Whatcha thinkin of making?

so probably beer and mead  :D

What kind of beer makes a big difference.  If you are making a Saison, or a Belgian farmhouse ale it can tolerate a good bit of heat, you could have the ambient temp in the 80's and probably be fine.  If you are making a pale ale you need to keep it considerably lower (down in the low 60's if I remember right, but I don't brew Pale Ale's so I may be wrong) If you are doing a lager it's gotta be even colder and needs a period of "lagering" where it is down in the 30's.

-Dok Howl

Precious Moments Zalgo

If any of you spags can be in Charlotte NC on October 8, I'll be here.  Tickets will go on sale Friday morning at 11:00 EDT.  I get in "free" because I did the website.

Last year, there were over 400 different beers available for sampling, including commercial and homebrews.  My homebrew club was serving double IPA's through a hop randall, and we should be doing that again this year.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I love the randall.

One year at Redlight Redlight they put smoked pumpkin soaked in FL whiskey in the randall and ran DFH punkin ale.