News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Erisian Brewer's Cadre. Or: How I saw the Goddess in the first place

Started by Richter, November 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 25, 2011, 09:20:40 PM
hey I recently read about that you can harvest the yeast of a commercial beer by adding some apple juice (or sugarwater) into the bottle after you poured the glass, on top of the tiny yeast layer in the bottom. Shake vigorously and create a yeast starter that way.

I did this with the leftover bit from yesterday's quadrupel. It smelled like yeast today. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a brew with it. I think I'll just do a 1.5L (0.4 gallon) bottle and just my regular apple honey mead, I don't want any other unknowns, to see how it works out.

We propagate yeast by adding a drink called Malta to the yeast cake in the bottom of a bottle. But we put it in a flask with a stir bar and all that. Yeast LOVE Malta, since it's basically malty wort with no hops or yeast. And it doesn't mess with the flavor of your beer.

Suu

I'm thinking of trying to do an infused brandy of some sort. I need to figure out with what, though. I'll hit the liquor store this weekend, then head to Whole Paycheck and see what kind of crazy ass fruit I can shove in there.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 27, 2011, 02:55:56 PM
hey I recently read about that you can harvest the yeast of a commercial beer by adding some apple juice (or sugarwater) into the bottle after you poured the glass, on top of the tiny yeast layer in the bottom. Shake vigorously and create a yeast starter that way.

I did this with the leftover bit from yesterday's quadrupel. It smelled like yeast today. Tomorrow I'm gonna make a brew with it. I think I'll just do a 1.5L (0.4 gallon) bottle and just my regular apple honey mead, I don't want any other unknowns, to see how it works out.

We propagate yeast by adding a drink called Malta to the yeast cake in the bottom of a bottle. But we put it in a flask with a stir bar and all that. Yeast LOVE Malta, since it's basically malty wort with no hops or yeast. And it doesn't mess with the flavor of your beer.

Well I just put all that crap into a bottle with honey and apple juice and SHOOK IT

and NOW

it's being foamy and doing FUCK ALL!

it's going to be AWESOME
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Now it stopped being foamy and it's bubbling! IT WORKS

MY STOLEN YEAST

IT IS ALIIIIIVE

Just the foam seems to have scummed up into some brown scummy bits sticking to the bottle (above the liquid level), I could either try to get them out, or I could just leave it and assume it'll be fine.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

BabylonHoruv

This works only on bottle conditioned beer, force carbed stuff is pasteurized and the yeast is all dead.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 06, 2011, 10:53:06 PM
As you can read, mine worked!

Trying this out with two bottles of lager and a bottle of mead.

Triple Zero

I wouldn't expect lager to be the sort of beer that has a layer of sunken yeast in it?

Also the quadrupel is a 10% beer so I know the yeast can at least make that much alcohol.

But you'll find out as you add a littlebit of fruit juice and it smells like yeast the next day.

In other news, the big apple-mead batch I wrote about on the previous page, that I added extra honey to and raisins, it's BUBBLING LIKE CRAZY!! Already for a whole week ... seriously unexpected. Maybe it's the raisins, I normally never add yeast nutrient (which is what the raisins are).
It'll be fucking strong when it's done, really curious how it'll turn out.

BTW I found out you don't need to pulp the raisins or anything, they'll go all squishy and soggy with time, and I suspect they release enough nutrients that way. Makes them easier to filter out later, too.

Oh and an easy way to disinfect them is to let them sit in boiling water for a bit. I believe 2 minutes at 100C is enough to kill most micro organisms. Best drain them and pour boiling water a second time to make sure, because it cools off.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 08, 2011, 04:21:18 PM
I wouldn't expect lager to be the sort of beer that has a layer of sunken yeast in it?

Also the quadrupel is a 10% beer so I know the yeast can at least make that much alcohol.

But you'll find out as you add a littlebit of fruit juice and it smells like yeast the next day.

Aren't the yeast used in lagers bottom fermenting?  If you salvaged yeast from a quadrupel, I think I have a strong chance to salvage some from some lager.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 08, 2011, 04:21:18 PM
In other news, the big apple-mead batch I wrote about on the previous page, that I added extra honey to and raisins, it's BUBBLING LIKE CRAZY!! Already for a whole week ... seriously unexpected. Maybe it's the raisins, I normally never add yeast nutrient (which is what the raisins are).
It'll be fucking strong when it's done, really curious how it'll turn out.

BTW I found out you don't need to pulp the raisins or anything, they'll go all squishy and soggy with time, and I suspect they release enough nutrients that way. Makes them easier to filter out later, too.

Oh and an easy way to disinfect them is to let them sit in boiling water for a bit. I believe 2 minutes at 100C is enough to kill most micro organisms. Best drain them and pour boiling water a second time to make sure, because it cools off.

Awesome

Triple Zero

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 08, 2011, 05:13:06 PM
Aren't the yeast used in lagers bottom fermenting?  If you salvaged yeast from a quadrupel, I think I have a strong chance to salvage some from some lager.

I dunno about bottom/top fermenting, TBH.

But when you say "lager" I'm thinking of the bright yellow sparkly beer that usually doesn't have any yeast at the bottom of the bottle, most probably because it's been filtered.

But you can just see, it's those beers that you don't want to pour the last few drops in your glass because you'll get all the murky cloudy yeast in your glass (unless you happen to like that sort of thing, which some folks do).

Most stronger beers are bottle-fermented, which means they have that.

But you can always just try!

However if the bottle doesn't have a cloudy residue at the bottom, there's probably no yeast.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 08, 2011, 06:29:31 PM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 08, 2011, 05:13:06 PM

I dunno about bottom/top fermenting, TBH.

But when you say "lager" I'm thinking of the bright yellow sparkly beer that usually doesn't have any yeast at the bottom of the bottle, most probably because it's been filtered.

But you can just see, it's those beers that you don't want to pour the last few drops in your glass because you'll get all the murky cloudy yeast in your glass (unless you happen to like that sort of thing, which some folks do).

Most stronger beers are bottle-fermented, which means they have that.

But you can always just try!

However if the bottle doesn't have a cloudy residue at the bottom, there's probably no yeast.

That makes sense, and if my attempts fail, I will simply get some different beer next week.

Suu

I just put a bunch of spices and fruit into brandy. Let's see what it tastes like in 2 months. K? K.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Anyways, here it is:

Spiced plum brandy. Essentially I cut up 4 black plums, added 3 teaspoons-ish of ground saigon cinnamon, and a cup-ish of mixed cider mulling spices with includes cassia chips, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, coriander and orange peel, then added about that much brandy it took to fill the Carlo jug as shown.

So far, it smells like Christmas, I assume in 2 months it will taste like it too.

I have enough for another bottle too, so I need to get on that.

Triple Zero