News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Erisian Brewer's Cadre. Or: How I saw the Goddess in the first place

Started by Richter, November 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

I am brewing up Imperial Molasses Stout tomorrow.  My first batch was super yummy so now I get to see if i can replicate it.

RE freeze distilling. heat distillation is legal in some states, so long as you don't make more than a certain amount,  I figure the same applies to freeze distillation.  I guess it depends on where you are brewing.

I also checked around a bit and according to my (admittedly relatively brief) research so long as it is not distilled to have more than 24% ABV it's still considered wine/beer in the state of Ohio
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

Then the people on homebrewtalk.com are a bunch of sissy cunts for shutting the discussion on freeze distilling cause you need a freezer that goes below -16 Celsius (3.2F) in order to be able to reach 24% ABV:

( source: http://eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack.html gives four data points, I just drew the lines, seems pretty linear in this range )

My graph just shows the absolute limit you can attain, if you repeatedly distill and filter until it no longer freezes at that temp. Doing the process one or two times is going to yield a slightly lower ABV.

I don't think my freezer goes to -16, probably -12 or so. I know, I'll just stick my kitchen thermometer in the slush I have freezing right now. BRB.

huh, seems I was wrong, thermometer says -19.8 degrees Celsius. That means I can make nearly 27% ABV!!! :banana:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

The limeade is ready to bottle.

...and you can't taste much alcohol...and then...BOOM.

GODDAMNIT SQUID. YOU MAKE ME DRUNK.  :argh!:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Suu and Luna have made tasty things which will certainly have good results.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Quote from: Richter on April 12, 2011, 12:58:09 AM
Suu and Luna have made tasty things which will certainly have good results.

I'll have the apple for the Meatup...  The strawberry cordial is bottled, and the peach and blackberry cordials SHOULD be about ready by then, I'm just out of bottles...

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

I desperately need to go to the brew store this week for bottles and priming sugar. Though I think this shit has a fizzy of it's own already.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 12, 2011, 06:04:30 PM
Damn limeade is some good shit, huh?

Good god! Even flat and warm with a little parfum d'yeast! It's not like, super high in alcohol, but it'll get you buzzed good and proper. Once I get this stuff out of the carboy I'm making another batch for Pennsic, because this 4 gallons is gonna go fast.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on April 10, 2011, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on April 10, 2011, 05:03:41 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM this jacked shit is good :D

You, Trip, are a genius.

Got an extra 2 pints.   :D

Make sure you save the receipt on your salad spinner, though. I just broke the pull-cord on mine. I suppose lettuce is quite a bit lighter than ice :(

Gonna take it back to the store this weekend. It wasn't a very cheapo one (12 euros iirc), and on my first ice spinning, the plastic grip on the other end of the cord partially split open. That can't have had anything to do with the weight of the ice, but just shitty construction. I fixed it with duct tape, but now that the other side came loose, I can't fix it and the thing is broken, and I think it even had a two year warranty ...

If the manual doesn't say you can't spin ice in it, and it looks sturdy/quality enough to hold itself, that means I can take it back.

Luna

This one's pretty tank, didn't give us any trouble.  We actually had to move to the floor from the table, it was shaking the whole table.   :D

Luna

Just in case, tonight's insomnia project:

Hope y'all like strawberry...  They had 'em on buy a quart, get a quart free, so I figured, what the hell...  Should be ready for the meatup in May!

BabylonHoruv

I found another suggestion for freeze distillation, probably gonna try it when I get to that point.

That is, freeze it in a plastic 2-liter bottle, cut slits in the bottle, attach to a power drill and spin like that (in a bucket)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Luna

So, I'm thinking to myself...  Why the hell did I buy a five pound bag of oranges?  There's no way in hell I'm going to eat them all before they go bad...

What can I do with all these oranges...

Hm...