News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Sriracha (aka cock sauce)

Started by geekdad, November 17, 2010, 11:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Reawaken the prehensile nature of your feet, 000.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 19, 2010, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on November 19, 2010, 04:31:20 PM
best advice I can give for making hot sauce out of scotch bonnets:

don't go as heavy on the vinegar as you would with most hot pepper sauces. Instead, use ground carrot and/or some combination of mango and papaya as the filler for the sauce. Their sweetness will balance out the heat while still complimenting the natural flavor of the pepper. A little lime juice goes well with it also.

Cool. I might try that! Would it be a good idea to mix in some regular chilli peppers too?

And about the seeds. The capsaicin is in the spongy stuff that holds the seeds, not in the seeds themselves, so for a good sauce it'd be good to remove them. Except I prefer to touch the madame jeanette's as less as possible, cause I can never seem to remove the capsaicin from my fingers entirely. Suggestions?

Wash your hands in vinegar, then soap. Be sure to get under your nails.

Aletrnatively, hold it with a paper towel, and cut it open, then scrape it with a knife.

Sir Squid Diddimus

or dip your hands in milk.
also- GLOVES

Whatever

I've heard coffee will remove the capsaicin. 

I always wear gloves because I'm an idiot and did the rub the eye thing last time I didn't wear gloves which was so long ago now I can't remember when but I sure as fuck remember the pain dear god the pain.....

I have a recipe for hot relish that uses either scotch bonnets or habeneros.

3-5 scotch bonnets or habeneros seeded and chopped
1-2 poblanos seeded and chopped
1 large onion diced
4-5 cloves of garlic smashed but not into pieces
I like to throw in about half of a red bell pepper chopped just for color.
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt - I'm watching my salt so I don't use the full tsp the original recipe called for.
whole peppercorns (your choice color, green are nice)
lime juice.

Mix together and put in a jar or jars.  I use 2 tablespoons vinegar per quart jar in bottom of jar along with one tablespoon lime juice.

Now you take the rind off of a pineapple and cut it into pieces and cover it with water and a couple table spoons of vinegar.  Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer uncovered until about a third of it has reduced.  Let cool slightly but not to cold and warmer than room temp!

Add a table spoon pineapple juice or some sweet juice to each jar with the peppers and vinegar then cover pepper mix with pineapple water.  I will put a piece of the pineapple rind in each jar.  Cover and put in the fridge when they have cooled. 

I completely stole the basics for this from a Daisy Martinez recipe, but have played with it here and there.  I will use this in place of sofrito especially when whatever I am making has some kind of fruit in it.  A nice spicy condiment to have in the kitchen.  Absolutely awesome to add a little to a couple of chopped tomato and mango with a touch of cilantro for a different kind of salsa!!!

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 19, 2010, 05:38:53 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on November 19, 2010, 04:31:20 PM
best advice I can give for making hot sauce out of scotch bonnets:

don't go as heavy on the vinegar as you would with most hot pepper sauces. Instead, use ground carrot and/or some combination of mango and papaya as the filler for the sauce. Their sweetness will balance out the heat while still complimenting the natural flavor of the pepper. A little lime juice goes well with it also.

Cool. I might try that! Would it be a good idea to mix in some regular chilli peppers too?

And about the seeds. The capsaicin is in the spongy stuff that holds the seeds, not in the seeds themselves, so for a good sauce it'd be good to remove them. Except I prefer to touch the madame jeanette's as less as possible, cause I can never seem to remove the capsaicin from my fingers entirely. Suggestions?

you should actually remove the seeds AND the spongy stuff (it's called pith). There's plenty of capsaicin in the flesh of the pepper, the pith will impart a bitter quality and the seeds, in addition to imparting bitterness, will make you violently unhappy when one gets stuck in your anal crevice.

as far as washing afterwards, first rinse with vinegar, then wash with some sort of gritty cleaner (like Gojo or Lava) and don't just wash, SCOUR YOUR HANDS. Use s brillo pad or steel wool or something abrasive. And get under the nails. Then wash with regular soap and hot water. Touch your fingers to your lips. If there's no burning, you're all set. If there is, repeat steps 1 through 3.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

and remember...NO MATTER HOW BADLY YOU HAVE TO PEE, REMOVE CAPSAICIN FROM HANDS FIRST.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

geekdad

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 20, 2010, 02:02:04 AM
NO MATTER HOW BADLY YOU HAVE TO MASTERBATE, REMOVE CAPSAICIN FROM HANDS FIRST.

Fixed that for you.
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

Jasper

This reminds me of the time I was fourteen,

-STORY REDACTED-