News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Holiday crafts for Spags, 2010.

Started by Suu, November 08, 2010, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

So last year was the handbag year. This year is actual wearables.

I was going to make my sister a dress, but after realizing it would be all too obvious when my mom asked her for measurements, I decided on an apron for her to use at work (high-end men's stylist/barber).

I scoured the internets this morning, and after about 3 solid hours of "meh" designs, I stumbled upon this gem:

http://kerrimade.blogspot.com/2008/04/crafty-tool-belt-tutorial.html

Hooks for scissors and EVERYTHING! I'm going to add more hooky-doos for other implements, but I figured that was going to be a great start.

For my mom, she get's cold easily despite living in Florida, and after last year, she doesn't want to deal with walking the dog in 20-30F temps early in the winter mornings. She doesn't need to invest in a heavy coat, but she needs more than what she has. So I'm designing a special wrap/shawl out of polar fleece with dog-walking in mind. Screw gloves, she'll have pockets for her hands, one that will have a finished hole to hold the leash through. There will also be a pocket for the leash and for CLEAN bags for the poop. (She's on her own for the dirty ones.) And because it's 100% synthetic, she'll be able to just throw it in the machine when it gets dirty and not have to worry about shrinking or fading.

Depending on time, I'm thinking of this for General Stuart's sister:http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/road-cape

She had a really cute new Vera Bradley bag, and I think I'll make it to match.

For his parents...It's been requested that I make a quilt.  :| *gulp*

So uh...anyone else going handmade again this year?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

I'm doing the baked goods and candle avenue this year.  I've been making cookie dough and freezing it so I can do a boatload at once.

Those ideas sound awesome Suu.  I am such a ditz at sewing, if I don't have a super easy pattern and half the weekend to pick out the stitches I fucked up on.... eh well you know where that goes....

I'm presuming you are going to machine quilt, not by hand? 

Suu

There is no way I could have the patience to quilt by hand. EVER.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Quote from: Suu Cool for School. on November 08, 2010, 06:44:07 PM

I was going to make my sister a dress, but after realizing it would be all too obvious when my mom asked her for measurements, I decided on an apron for her to use at work (high-end men's stylist/barber).

I scoured the internets this morning, and after about 3 solid hours of "meh" designs, I stumbled upon this gem:

Hooks for scissors and EVERYTHING! I'm going to add more hooky-doos for other implements, but I figured that was going to be a great start.

For my mom, she get's cold easily despite living in Florida, and after last year, she doesn't want to deal with walking the dog in 20-30F temps early in the winter mornings. She doesn't need to invest in a heavy coat, but she needs more than what she has. So I'm designing a special wrap/shawl out of polar fleece with dog-walking in mind. Screw gloves, she'll have pockets for her hands, one that will have a finished hole to hold the leash through. There will also be a pocket for the leash and for CLEAN bags for the poop. (She's on her own for the dirty ones.) And because it's 100% synthetic, she'll be able to just throw it in the machine when it gets dirty and not have to worry about shrinking or fading.

Depending on time, I'm thinking of this for General Stuart's sister:http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/road-cape

hey now, that was your idea!

Suu

Quote from: Sir Digby Chicken Caesar! on November 09, 2010, 03:35:19 AM
Quote from: Suu Cool for School. on November 08, 2010, 06:44:07 PM

hey now, that was your idea!

NO YUO!

You told me your mommy wanted a quilt. :(

I said I was thinking of sucking it up and doing one. :(

Schmeh, I say!

Richter

It'll work out.  You just need to convince a bunch of hipsters it's ironically delicious to attend a quilting bee, do good hand sewing, and not fiddle each other underneath it while they're working. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Hell no! I'm not letting any greasy hipsters touch my work!

Whatever

They actually have some really gorgeous machine quilt patterns.  In fact, those could end up being a real seller if you find you enjoy putting them together and such.  I know you can go to quilting stores and even some regular fabric stores sell precut quilting blocks.  Or order entire kits online. 

LMNO

A few years ago when I was broke, I made a massive amount of curry powder, and got a few dozen one-ounce jars.  "Christmas Curry", we called it.

Liam, I think I sent one to Bella at the time.

Anyway, I'll probably be doing that again because, boo, economy.

Freeky

The only possible thing I can do is make food for people, and I don't even have that big a fund, and feeding my monkey takes priority. :(

Suu

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on November 09, 2010, 07:42:22 PM
The only possible thing I can do is make food for people, and I don't even have that big a fund, and feeding my monkey takes priority. :(

That's when you do the construction paper Christmas card bit. Think of the absolute hilarity and horrormirth you can unleash with handmade cards!

Freeky

Quote from: Suu on November 10, 2010, 03:17:30 PM

That's when you do the construction paper Christmas card bit. Think of the absolute hilarity and horrormirth you can unleash with handmade cards!

I might just do that. :)

Suu

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on November 10, 2010, 04:30:49 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 10, 2010, 03:17:30 PM

I might just do that. :)

I'm thinking of doing some too...for *special* recipients.