News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

...I really need to move.

Started by Suu, November 17, 2010, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

*cough*Southern Maine*cough*

Yeah, sure, we have some nutjobs here and there, but overall it's a pretty safe place to live.  Plus, you can still be less than 2 hours away from Boston.  Just a little more snow to deal with.  And slower drivers.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

I will admit though that our muggers are kinda pussies, at least in Boston. Seems like the tactic is to come up behind them, beat them over the head with something and then demand their money. Saw this happen in Allston of all places, and have heard about it happening in a couple of other areas.

Shootings and stabbings aren't that uncommon, but not to the degree that I feel uncomfortable traveling in and out of Dorchester. Though I would be fairly uncomfortable in parts of Roxbury and Mattapan.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 17, 2010, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 03:08:28 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 03:06:33 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 02:47:56 PM
It's a Providence moment. We were here first. In fact, the reason why our level of craziness went down is because Buddy Cianci sent the nuts TO Tucson. Makes perfect sense. Now they're just starting to find their way back.

The next time Rog is out here, we NEED to take him to Fall River and New Bedford. He NEEDS to see the origins of filth.

Suu, Suu. EVERYWHERE is Tucson. Providence may have been officially founded first, but Tucson has always been, since FOREVER.

Nope. I refuse. Keep your grubby ass filthy label out of my own brand of grubby ass filth. THIS IS WAR, REMEMBER?!

HAVE I SEEN A RETURN SHOT? NO? WELL THEN I GUESS YOU GAVE UP.

Having a vague memory of someone telling me about some guy who mugged someone in Roxbury and then got mugged himself by a drug addict immediately after....

Oh Roxbury is dreadful too...but not as bad as Dorchester though I think...Or Revere Beach.

Though nothing has held a candle so far to the Southside of St. Petersburg. Oh. My. God. Southern ghettos will fucking New England ghettos and accidentally the whole thing 3 times. I also had to spend a weekend in College Park in Atlanta near the airport.  :x  Fuck me, I seriously thought we were going to die at least 3 or 4 times.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 17, 2010, 03:20:25 PM
I will admit though that our muggers are kinda pussies, at least in Boston. Seems like the tactic is to come up behind them, beat them over the head with something and then demand their money. Saw this happen in Allston of all places, and have heard about it happening in a couple of other areas.

Shootings and stabbings aren't that uncommon, but not to the degree that I feel uncomfortable traveling in and out of Dorchester. Though I would be fairly uncomfortable in parts of Roxbury and Mattapan.

What you saw in Allston was actually an elusive hipster mating ritual, not a mugging.

And yes, Mattapan too, also a lovely part of town.  I'm still not a fan of Dorchester. There's a reason why Savin Hill is known as Stabbin' Kill.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 02:47:56 PM
It's a Providence moment. We were here first. In fact, the reason why our level of craziness went down is because Buddy Cianci sent the nuts TO Tucson. Makes perfect sense. Now they're just starting to find their way back.

The next time Rog is out here, we NEED to take him to Fall River and New Bedford. He NEEDS to see the origins of filth.

Suu, Suu. EVERYWHERE is Tucson. Providence may have been officially founded first, but Tucson has always been, since FOREVER.

It's becoming everywhere, anyways.  Roger's talk about the Old West never quite hit until a few weeks ago.  We know how to do better, to be better, but overall we DON'T.  We've got this huge fucking pie in front of us, metaphorically.  Even when we're in the shit or despairing around here, somehow it's still OK.  It's still AMERICA, and until we've fallen off all our money and gotten too bullet riddled or diseased, we can still wheedle something.  It's like the 1800's again.  Snake oil, whiskey, weird new species of human showing up, and manifest destiny.  (Maybe it never stopped, we jsut got shocked out of it by another by date (1900 holy shit!), a few big bad wars, and some delusions in between.  (McCarthy was just jealous, he wanted to one-up Prohibition, and was too in love with Xanatos Speed Chess.))

I can't quite put my finger on the new manifest destiny.  We're almost out of Frontier, the whole world is getting too cuddly for traditional empires, and we're starting to relaize that resources are finite.  We've screamed across the petri dish as far as we can go (At least until we get serious about the yukon, or nuke a warm spot onto Antarctica.)  The pie isn't land, resource, gold, or anything traiditonal.  It sounded like BS, then I googled "Adipocere", and found a site selling grave wax as a cure-all.   Parody sure, but people would buy it.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 03:29:21 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 17, 2010, 03:20:25 PM

What you saw in Allston was actually an elusive hipster mating ritual, not a mugging.

And yes, Mattapan too, also a lovely part of town.  I'm still not a fan of Dorchester. There's a reason why Savin Hill is known as Stabbin' Kill.

No, it was an actual mugging. The mugger in question probably thought that Allston hipsters would be good targets. But it was fairly close to that part of Allston where the crackheads dwell (a little past O'Brien's).

I haven't had any bad experiences in Dorchester. I'm in Dorchester at the moment (still keeping the girlfriend some company, since she has to take this week off of work too), but it's in Adams Village. Not a bad part of town. Worst part of it is drunken Irish immigrants, which I don't really have a problem with.

Suu

To be honest, the only parts of seen of Dorchester made my skin crawl (but it could have also been Mattapan at that point), so if there are better parts, I'm sure It's more along the lines of where I'm living now in Elmwood.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 04:15:01 PM
To be honest, the only parts of seen of Dorchester made my skin crawl (but it could have also been Mattapan at that point), so if there are better parts, I'm sure It's more along the lines of where I'm living now in Elmwood.

No, you're not wrong. If I walk down 3 blocks from here it gets real shitty real fast. There was a quadruple homocide about a half mile from here about a month ago.

Suu

Oh GOD.

Yeah, I don't know how the murder rate stays so low in Providence, we only get like 40-50 a year, which surprised the shit out of me when I moved up here, because in St. Petersburg if someone wasn't shot at least every day, then it was a good week. Tampa was about the same.

I assume it's probably because there's police EVERYWHERE. GS got all excited one day when he saw some beat cops we had walking around at night. Holding batons and everything, full on classic uniform...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 04:43:02 PM
GS got all excited one day when he saw some beat cops we had walking around at night. Holding batons and everything, full on classic uniform...

That shit works, BTW.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Yup.  Street presence is crucial.

Also, haven't commented in this thread, but I live a block from Eggelston Square, a known pusher, pimp, and murder hotspot.  There's usually at least one ghetto shrine somewhere within a three-block radius from my house at any given moment.

Oddly enough, our little neighborhood is usually not bothered by such deadly shenanigans.

Triple Zero

I tried looking it up, also on urbandictionary, but I can't find it, what's a "ghetto shrine" ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

I could be wrong but their a pair of sneakers tied to each other and thrown up to hang from powerlines, as a makeshift memorial for someone killed in that spot.

Again I could be wrong. I'm from West Roxbury.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 02:13:29 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 17, 2010, 05:33:39 AM
I'm really confused. Is that kind of thing considered scarybad there? It wouldn't make the news here. I was under the impression that the East Coast was supposed to be hardcore or something.

A myth perpetuated by urban effete east coast elites who are desperate to convince anybody who will listen that they are, in fact, "wikkid street, dawg".

Unless you live in say, Dorchester, Fall Riv', South Bronx, 50% of Philadelphia, 80% of Baltimore and 100% Washington, DC. Then, THEN you can be street. Providence used to be nasty...Or so I hear. That was about 5-10 years before my time.

Though I did see a mugging from my bus on Broad St. into work this morning. I haven't seen one of those in a while...Some guys walking by grabbed a homeless guy's cane and started beating him with it for no apparent reason.

bah, you east coasters have just gotten soft and forgotten what REAL ghetto is.

hell, South Bronx is downright GENTRIFIED compared to what it was 15 years ago, as is much of Philly and half of Baltimore. Even most of DC can be walked around in.

You guys think that just because a place is old and run down-looking, it's dangerous, but I double-dog-dare any one of you to go spend a week in Stockton or Richmond or Lakewood or Albucrazy or El Paso.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

FUCK YOU MY GHETTO IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS THAN YOUR GHETTO