PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

...I really need to move.

Started by Suu, November 17, 2010, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Freeky, our official murder rate is pretty low:

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/az/tucson.htm

It does not include people who don't turn up (in a desert, mind you).  The figures given only include Tucson, not South Tucson, Marana, etc.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Whatever

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:43:29 PM
Ummm maybe you shouldn't assume I was talking directly to you?

this is what I was responding to:

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 05:18:17 PM
bah, you east coasters have just gotten soft and forgotten what REAL ghetto is.

hell, South Bronx is downright GENTRIFIED compared to what it was 15 years ago, as is much of Philly and half of Baltimore. Even most of DC can be walked around in.

You guys think that just because a place is old and run down-looking, it's dangerous, but I double-dog-dare any one of you to go spend a week in Stockton or Richmond or Lakewood or Albucrazy or El Paso.

Then maybe you should quote that and not me!!!!

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 17, 2010, 06:59:49 PM
Phoenix, of course, is a hellhole:

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/az/phoenix.htm

Yeah, I :lol: 'd at a brief blurb I saw on Wikipedia ...Phoenix officials are proud to report to the FBI 100 less murders than 2009... Or something like that.

LMNO

Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 07:07:30 PM

hell, South Bronx is downright GENTRIFIED compared to what it was 15 years ago, as is much of Philly and half of Baltimore. Even most of DC can be walked around in.

You guys think that just because a place is old and run down-looking, it's dangerous, but I double-dog-dare any one of you to go spend a week in Stockton or Richmond or Lakewood or Albucrazy or El Paso.

Chill.  This is the way PD works.

Whatever

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 17, 2010, 07:11:24 PM

Chill.  This is the way PD works.

I'm not hot.  I just made a statement, a comment was made quoting my statement saying things I had never said. 

Fuck it I don't care!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 17, 2010, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 06:36:58 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 06:04:04 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:01:00 PM
if you feel unsafe, the relative murder rate isn't important

I don't think there are many people in the city who feel safe these days.  Feeling safe or unsafe isn't going to change certain facts yanno?

what I'm saying is - providence may have less crime per capita than a lot of places, but if Suu is feeling unsafe, it's definitely a good idea to move.

I used to live in Yonkers, which is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. When I was dating DCup we heard a man get shot to death outside her apartment building. Years later, my girlfriend Chloe would be stopped at a red light when a gang fight broke out around her car. A dude got thrown onto her hood and rolled up onto her windshield. She also watched a bunch of black 12 year olds curbstomp a white 12 year old. The place felt extremely unsafe and hostile and we had to move.

and yet it has a way lower crime rate than Detroit.

saying "You guys don't know what a REAL ghetto is" doesn't resolve Suu's sense that she's living in a dangerous place..

Ummm maybe you shouldn't respond directly to me if it isn't about something I actually said.  Because I didn't comment on the crime rate in Providence, nor did I say anything about anyone living in a REAL ghetto.  I didn't say anything about a ghetto at all. 

And like I said, most regular people don't have a grand or more laying in their bank account to put up for first, last and security.  Which was my actual point, that you may live in the neighborhood from hell with people getting shot on your front porch, but you can't move if you can't afford to move.  It sucks, but's it's my reality.  I'd love to be alone in that but I doubt I am.

I think Cram was quoting you as a support statement. I've done that sort of thing from time to time myself.

Bump.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

I think we're all over it already, but if we were to diagram it out, it would look like this

ECH Makes Comment

Cram replies to that comment

Niamh replies to cram's comment

Cram replies to Niamh's comment by clarifying his original point

Niamh is confused as to why Cram is including her in his response to ECH

these things happen

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

CHILLAX AND LEARN2FORUM.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 05:23:36 PM
FUCK YOU MY GHETTO IS WAY MORE DANGEROUS THAN YOUR GHETTO

For the record, I was not comparing my "Ghetto" (Portland doesn't have any real ghettoes,and I live in a nice neighborhood) I was just startled that what she described was considered noteworthy there, because I've always heard that the East Coast was so rough. By all means, if she's uncomfortable and there are better options, she should move.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

ANYWAY

I've done time in two different seedy places, violent neighborhoods in Yonkers and Albany. My original justification for living in those places was that the cheap cost of living allowed me to have a pretty cool apartment in trade for a shitty neighborhood.

And in both cases, when I moved out, I found places that were comparably priced and did not make me feel like I needed to carry a weapon. I'm living in a really beautiful little village right now and paying LESS rent than when I was living in Yonkers. It took a lot of hunting, and living here engenders other compromises, but the moral of the story is that there are alternatives. and IMO a longer commute is a small price to pay to live in a place that doesn't stress you out.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:14:05 PM
Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 06:04:04 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:01:00 PM
if you feel unsafe, the relative murder rate isn't important

I don't think there are many people in the city who feel safe these days.  Feeling safe or unsafe isn't going to change certain facts yanno?

what I'm saying is - providence may have less crime per capita than a lot of places, but if Suu is feeling unsafe, it's definitely a good idea to move.

I used to live in Yonkers, which is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. When I was dating DCup we heard a man get shot to death outside her apartment building. Years later, my girlfriend Chloe would be stopped at a red light when a gang fight broke out around her car. A dude got thrown onto her hood and rolled up onto her windshield. She also watched a bunch of black 12 year olds curbstomp a white 12 year old. The place felt extremely unsafe and hostile and we had to move.

and yet it has a way lower crime rate than Detroit.

saying "You guys don't know what a REAL ghetto is" doesn't resolve Suu's sense that she's living in a dangerous place..

I believe my first post ITT was to advise her to get a CCW permit. I mean, you can keep running from "feeling unsafe" but that shit is gonna catch up to you anywhere you go, eventually, unless you decide to turn into one of those hermits living in a hut on a mountain. Better to make sure you can defend yourself appropriately no matter where you are.

Let's face it, this isn't gonna be a good decade for the faint of heart.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 06:16:54 PM
Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 04:43:02 PM
Oh GOD.

Yeah, I don't know how the murder rate stays so low in Providence, we only get like 40-50 a year, which surprised the shit out of me when I moved up here, because in St. Petersburg if someone wasn't shot at least every day, then it was a good week. Tampa was about the same.

I assume it's probably because there's police EVERYWHERE. GS got all excited one day when he saw some beat cops we had walking around at night. Holding batons and everything, full on classic uniform...

Providence had 24 murders in 2009, 8 of which were domestic violence homicides. This was the highest number of murders in Providence since 2000. St. Petersburg had 22 and Tampa had 20.

Methinks thou dost exaggerate.

Say, where'd you get your info? I'm trying to find stats on Tucson, out of curiosity.

I used this amazing new website to find that info.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

I did, and was unable to find current information. :/

No worries anymore, I got told a site.

geekdad

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/09/08/story_shooter_update.html

See all the police cars? I could spit on them they were close enough. I had SWAT and police with M-16s telling me to get back in my house for fear of random bullets...

I need to move too.
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.