News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

...I really need to move.

Started by Suu, November 17, 2010, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 04:43:02 PM
Oh GOD.

Yeah, I don't know how the murder rate stays so low in Providence, we only get like 40-50 a year, which surprised the shit out of me when I moved up here, because in St. Petersburg if someone wasn't shot at least every day, then it was a good week. Tampa was about the same.

I assume it's probably because there's police EVERYWHERE. GS got all excited one day when he saw some beat cops we had walking around at night. Holding batons and everything, full on classic uniform...

Providence had 24 murders in 2009, 8 of which were domestic violence homicides. This was the highest number of murders in Providence since 2000. St. Petersburg had 22 and Tampa had 20.

Methinks thou dost exaggerate.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 05:38:58 PM
Oh GOD.

Yeah, I don't know how the murder rate stays so low in Providence, we only get like 40-50 a year, which surprised the shit out of me when I moved up here, because in St. Petersburg if someone wasn't shot at least every day, then it was a good week. Tampa was about the same.

I assume it's probably because there's police EVERYWHERE. GS got all excited one day when he saw some beat cops we had walking around at night. Holding batons and everything, full on classic uniform...

Providence had 24 murders in 2009, 8 of which were domestic violence homicides. This was the highest number of murders in Providence since 2000. St. Petersburg had 22 and Tampa had 20.

I didn't look anything up, I just remember it seeming like so much worse when I lived down there. Maybe I think the entire state or something was in the 40s. But then comparing THAT to the state of Florida would be quite different considering the size and populations of each.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

IIRC, both Tampa and St. Pete are quite a bit bigger than Providence, population-wise, which would seem to mean that on the face of things, they're both FAR safer cities than Providence.

24 murders in a city of 180,000 people is actually a fairly high homicide rate, though as previously noted 1/3 of them are because someone just wouldn't listen.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Whatever

We haven't had a really close murder since the Domino's guy got robbed and shot a couple of houses down in the alley.  Drive by's are a daily thing, but you get so used to them you just learn to stay away from home or in the back of the house.  People getting mugged is the big thing this time of year.  They rarely are done by people with guns, or by people who use the guns they have or say they have.  I just keep to myself and carry no money on me when I'm walking to and from work and I don't take the bus after dark at all as the new bus stop by the house is a couple of blocks away.

It's sad to say, but you get used to it.  Yeah, everyone says move, but that is easier said than done. It costs money to move and I don't have a first, last and security laying in my bank account.  Then with no car (yes replacement is a good option, problem is I didn't have full coverage when I wrecked my last car) the bus or walking is the only option which almost forces you to stay where you can get to the places you need to go easily.

I would say besides mace, get a weapons permit or maybe a taser.  I don't know if you need a permit for tasers there, you don't here.  Not that I have one, I'd shock myself digging in my purse for it.

Cramulus

if you feel unsafe, the relative murder rate isn't important

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 17, 2010, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 03:08:28 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 03:06:33 PM
Quote from: Freeky on November 17, 2010, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Suu on November 17, 2010, 02:47:56 PM
It's a Providence moment. We were here first. In fact, the reason why our level of craziness went down is because Buddy Cianci sent the nuts TO Tucson. Makes perfect sense. Now they're just starting to find their way back.

The next time Rog is out here, we NEED to take him to Fall River and New Bedford. He NEEDS to see the origins of filth.

Suu, Suu. EVERYWHERE is Tucson. Providence may have been officially founded first, but Tucson has always been, since FOREVER.

Nope. I refuse. Keep your grubby ass filthy label out of my own brand of grubby ass filth. THIS IS WAR, REMEMBER?!

HAVE I SEEN A RETURN SHOT? NO? WELL THEN I GUESS YOU GAVE UP.

Having a vague memory of someone telling me about some guy who mugged someone in Roxbury and then got mugged himself by a drug addict immediately after....

Muggers mugging muggers mugging... :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Whatever

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:01:00 PM

I don't think there are many people in the city who feel safe these days.  Feeling safe or unsafe isn't going to change certain facts yanno?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am gonna say, Portland is really safe, and we don't really have muggers. Holdups, sure (I've had a gun to my head in a Taco Time  :lol:) and we're the nation's capital in bank robberies, and we have an inexplicably high arson rate and some random gang shootouts, but for the most part unless you're actually IN a gang you're unlikely to just get shot or otherwise attacked at random.

For some reason, though, the occasional crazy dude will flip out, take off all his clothes, and run around with a gun, which usually provokes a SWAT response. And a couple years ago they blocked off MLK a few blocks from my house with tanks, but I'm not sure what that was about. They probably just wanted an excuse to use tanks.

Portland also just plain doesn't have slums anymore. At all. There were slums 15-20 years ago, but they're long gone; at least "slums" by Oakland/Stockton/Hilltop standards.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 06:04:04 PM

I don't think there are many people in the city who feel safe these days.  Feeling safe or unsafe isn't going to change certain facts yanno?

what I'm saying is - providence may have less crime per capita than a lot of places, but if Suu is feeling unsafe, it's definitely a good idea to move.

I used to live in Yonkers, which is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. When I was dating DCup we heard a man get shot to death outside her apartment building. Years later, my girlfriend Chloe would be stopped at a red light when a gang fight broke out around her car. A dude got thrown onto her hood and rolled up onto her windshield. She also watched a bunch of black 12 year olds curbstomp a white 12 year old. The place felt extremely unsafe and hostile and we had to move.

and yet it has a way lower crime rate than Detroit.

saying "You guys don't know what a REAL ghetto is" doesn't resolve Suu's sense that she's living in a dangerous place..

Freeky

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 05:38:58 PM
Oh GOD.

Say, where'd you get your info? I'm trying to find stats on Tucson, out of curiosity.

Whatever

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

I don't think there are many people in the city who feel safe these days.  Feeling safe or unsafe isn't going to change certain facts yanno?

what I'm saying is - providence may have less crime per capita than a lot of places, but if Suu is feeling unsafe, it's definitely a good idea to move.

I used to live in Yonkers, which is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. When I was dating DCup we heard a man get shot to death outside her apartment building. Years later, my girlfriend Chloe would be stopped at a red light when a gang fight broke out around her car. A dude got thrown onto her hood and rolled up onto her windshield. She also watched a bunch of black 12 year olds curbstomp a white 12 year old. The place felt extremely unsafe and hostile and we had to move.

saying "You guys don't know what a REAL ghetto is" doesn't resolve Suu's sense that she's living in a dangerous place..

Ummm maybe you shouldn't respond directly to me if it isn't about something I actually said.  Because I didn't comment on the crime rate in Providence, nor did I say anything about anyone living in a REAL ghetto.  I didn't say anything about a ghetto at all. 

And like I said, most regular people don't have a grand or more laying in their bank account to put up for first, last and security.  Which was my actual point, that you may live in the neighborhood from hell with people getting shot on your front porch, but you can't move if you can't afford to move.  It sucks, but's it's my reality.  I'd love to be alone in that but I doubt I am.

Cramulus

Ummm maybe you shouldn't assume I was talking directly to you?

this is what I was responding to:

Quote from: First City Hustle on November 17, 2010, 05:18:17 PM
bah, you east coasters have just gotten soft and forgotten what REAL ghetto is.

hell, South Bronx is downright GENTRIFIED compared to what it was 15 years ago, as is much of Philly and half of Baltimore. Even most of DC can be walked around in.

You guys think that just because a place is old and run down-looking, it's dangerous, but I double-dog-dare any one of you to go spend a week in Stockton or Richmond or Lakewood or Albucrazy or El Paso.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Niamh on November 17, 2010, 06:36:58 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

Ummm maybe you shouldn't respond directly to me if it isn't about something I actually said.  Because I didn't comment on the crime rate in Providence, nor did I say anything about anyone living in a REAL ghetto.  I didn't say anything about a ghetto at all. 

And like I said, most regular people don't have a grand or more laying in their bank account to put up for first, last and security.  Which was my actual point, that you may live in the neighborhood from hell with people getting shot on your front porch, but you can't move if you can't afford to move.  It sucks, but's it's my reality.  I'd love to be alone in that but I doubt I am.

I think Cram was quoting you as a support statement. I've done that sort of thing from time to time myself.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 17, 2010, 04:58:37 PM
I tried looking it up, also on urbandictionary, but I can't find it, what's a "ghetto shrine" ?

Remember CHEF D?  "Bring a teddy bear for your ghetto shrine when you meet me at 15th and Minnah", et al.

Basically, when some kid gets shot on the street, their friends and family gather around that place on the sidewalk and place candles, flowers, dolls, and other knick knacks to commomorate their death.  It lasts for a few days, and is eventually abandoned.