News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

And this...

Started by Whatever, November 17, 2010, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Can remeber another time I put my neck out for another human
This dumb whiteboy with no street sense out on a date with his girl decides to be cute and asks a local about his tear drop tattoo under his eye. Myself noticed his green rag so figured this wasn't going to end well move to block the back exit of the bus. Without any talking la familar sucker punches the fool not once but three times. His gf starts crying, I stand up asking if there's a problem' as the boxer attempts to leave. The bleeding fool in back, appolized for being a smart ass and didn't want any trouble.

Grinning I let the ape off the bus without a fight
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Dutch spag is dead-on... I would bet money that not one single person actually pulled out their phone WHILE Nye was down. There's a mass paralysis that happens in situations like that, which makes actually doing ANYTHING but gawking kind of impossible. Interestingly, though, once one person does anything... literally, anything... it breaks the spell and people can act. You can actually do it just by shouting "hey" or standing up, if you have the presence of mind for it.

There's a corresponding trait in humans, too, which is that once one person helps, a lot of other people will be galvanized to help as well. Actually, a lot of multiple-drownings happen that way, unfortunately.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on November 19, 2010, 10:46:08 PM
Interestingly, though, once one person does anything... literally, anything... it breaks the spell and people can act. You can actually do it just by shouting "hey" or standing up, if you have the presence of mind for it.

Good advice, this! Also if you don't immediately know what the right action would be.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

Sorry to interrupt the misanthropy but the OP is bullshit.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9197559/No_Twitter_users_didn_t_fail_Science_Guy_?taxonomyId=16

QuoteThe gist of the story on the front page of Yahoo News last week was that Bill "The Science Guy" Nye passed out while speaking to several hundred University of Southern California students and those students callously ignored the stricken man's plight in favor of yammering about it on Twitter.

It was one of those "See how technology has warped our values" tales, only more baseless than is typical of the genre.From the story: "... what's odd about the incident isn't so much Nye's slight health setback as the crowd's reaction. Or, more precisely, its nonreaction, according to several accounts. It appears that the students in attendance, rather than getting up from their seats to rush to Nye's aid, instead pulled out their mobile devices to post information about Nye's loss of consciousness."

Immediately, I'm thinking this has the smell of baloney. Next paragraph: "Alastair Fairbanks, a USC senior ... told the Los Angeles Times that 'nobody went to his aid at the very beginning when he first collapsed — that just perplexed me beyond reason.' The student added, 'Instead, I saw students texting and updating their Twitter statuses. It was just all a very bizarre evening.' "

At this point you have a picture of Nye lying unconscious while no one – not an event organizer or audience member – moves a muscle except to whip out the iPhone to tell the world what happened in 140 characters or less. The Yahoo writer goes on to compare this transgression to the tweets that conveyed images of a dying murder victim in New Orleans and the famous video that made "don't tase me bro" a part of the lexicon. Tsk-tsk, what's wrong with young people today?

Hundreds of scathing comments followed, as did a spate of copycat stories, including one in the New York Daily News.

Now I wasn't there, but let's go to that Los Angeles Times account to see if there's more information. Yes, immediately before that damning quote from Fairbanks we get this: "Tristan Camacho, a USC senior ... said Nye was walking toward the podium when he collapsed mid-sentence. Then after about 10 seconds, he popped back up with much gusto and asked everybody how long he was out for and went on with a story about how a similar thing happened to him that morning."

Ten seconds? Exactly how many of the hundreds of self-absorbed tweeters in attendance were supposed to have rushed to Nye's side in those 10 seconds? (Reading this paragraph took you about 10 seconds.)

Aside from the one quote from the flabbergasted Fairbanks, neither the Times account nor one in the USC student newspaper took any issue with responsiveness of those in attendance. Moreover, the Yahoo story gives the distinct impression that the offensive tweeting was happening while Nye lay stricken ... for 10 seconds. Not likely.

What I am certain happened is that a number of those in attendance, having witnessed something unusual, used their phones to tell others. If you have been to any kind of public event in recent years you know that this kind of in-the-moment communication is about as noteworthy as a balky microphone.

And if you're going to accuse a couple hundred people of callous indifference born of technology obsession, you'd better bring more proof. Bill Nye would demand it.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman