News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

And this...

Started by Whatever, November 17, 2010, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatever

Is why we'll never have nice things.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101117/sc_yblog_thelookout/if-the-science-guy-passes-out-and-nobody-tweets-it-did-it-happen

We live in a time where who posts it on the internet first takes precedence over helping someone?  Or in the case of the man who was shot, possibly saving their life instead of getting a better shot of the blood pool?

GOOD TIMES!!!  :horrormirth:

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Remington

Guy bleeding to death in front of me lol #gangstabbing
Is it plugged in?

hooplala

Wow.  I am going to delete my twitter account right now.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I love Bill Nye! :(

For the record, in the olden days before cell phones, people still didn't do anything. They just sat there stunned, and maybe whispered to each other.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Quote from: Nigel on November 17, 2010, 09:21:04 PM
For the record, in the olden days before cell phones, people still didn't do anything. They just sat there stunned, and maybe whispered to each other.

totally

twitter isn't to blame here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 09:23:13 PM

totally

Exactly.

The "Kids These Days Are So Terrible" meme rears it's ugly head again.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

hooplala

Well if I can't go off half-cocked and overreact, what else would I have left in life?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

Quote from: Hoopla on November 17, 2010, 09:40:45 PM
Well if I can't go off half-cocked and overreact, what else would I have left in life?

Well, your Twitter account for starters.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on November 17, 2010, 09:23:13 PM

totally

Also, I don't think that because there's a name for the phenomena means that these people should feel morally just for their actions.  A lot of people probably thought that someone else was going to call the cops to help Kitty Genovese, but all it would have taken was ONE.  Same with Bill Nye here.

Certainly Twitter itself is not to blame here, but a lot of the mindset of Twitter is.  Remember, these people didn't just sit there in stunned silence, they TWEETED about it.  There is some form of spectator sport in that, and I would rather distance myself from it, before I see some indication of that in myself.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

You're better off making a conscious effort to not act like a bystander.  That's what I do.

hooplala

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 17, 2010, 09:46:42 PM
You're better off making a conscious effort to not act like a bystander.  That's what I do.

I intend to.  I already found Twitter to be a less entertaining form of masturbation, but now I can't help but feel slimy when I think about it.  It was horrendous during our recent election in Toronto.  This is just the capper.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I've never had a Twitter account. Didn't see any point in having one. Don't really see the point of Twitter at all, actually.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS