News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

A LITTLE HISTORY LESSON FOR PEOPLE WHO CANT REMEMBER 5 MINS AGO

Started by Cain, November 18, 2010, 07:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Niamh on November 19, 2010, 08:21:45 PM
I think America is paranoid.  Most of Europe and surrounding countries have dealt with terrorists from a lot of different factions for years.  It's not that they have become complacent by any means, just that they've had longer to deal with it and protect themselves from it.  And as a result, they have systems in place that work. 

However, it still goes back to if someone truly wants to do something, they will find a way around almost any type of security measure. 

I though there was a post about this using Ireland as an example but I can't find it.  :?

We got full-body scanners in Schiphol ("Amsterdam Airport") as well, although they're optional, the lines are just shorter. I'm spending Christmas in Turkey so I guess I get to see them soon. Not at the airports that often, so I'm not sure if they got psychological pressure to not opt out (such as groping).

We also got the same retarded "no liquids" rule (or less than 200ml or something). I haven't been asked to remove my shoes yet, though.

Two years ago I also went to Turkey and the way the "no liquids" thing was enforced was kinda weird. It was only enforced on the way from the Netherlands to Turkey, but not on the way back. This was apparently because the "no liquids" rule is mandated by the EU, and Turkey is not (yet) a member of the EU. Still, I think it's a bit odd to have extra terrorism-prevention checks for flights going out of the EU, and not for those flying into the EU (coming from a muslim country, nonetheless :) ).

Anyway, you're not exactly right when you say "most of Europe and surrounding countries" have saner rules, because they don't. They're just different, is all. Hey, one thing is that you don't have as severe checks when you're just flying within the USA from one state to another, isn't that right? Cause no such fun in the EU :) Checks everywhere ;)

Also, when it comes to the Netherlands, seriously, we implement stricter rules than the EU would ask, before they even ask... :|
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.