News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

When did cool become uncool?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2010, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've never heard "sound" or "disco". "Boss" is funny... I think it was popular in the States in the 50's, so it's maybe a sort of retro thing?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

"Sound" is also used in Scotland occasionally, I dunno if it's used here in the sarf of England. I have heard people using "Fair" as in in "Fair Enough" without the enough here, but that may not be in anyway related. I find some of the locals ritual practices to be quite impenetrable at times.

I use "sound" and "cool" regularly, as if I have any kind of authority on what qualifies. I am more likely to say "Indubitably", or to declare "Indeed!" when someone uses their own authority to judge something cool.

I like indubitably, it's a great word.

Juana

I've noticed this as well, in my sisters particularly. We were shopping yesterday, and the middle one shied away from buying a pair of neat rainboots because they were cool and she didn't want to be a hipster. I told her that them being cool was a reason to buy them and fuck anyone who said otherwise.

"Cool" and "fuck/hell yeah, that's awesome" are the usual way of expressing appreciation amongst my friends.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Faust

Overheard another one in the shop tonight:

That's savage.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Telarus

My gay, Irish, Jewish, Buddhist friend always used to tell me to "stay frosty".

That's an RWHN level pun, right there ("Nirvana/Nibahna" means 'a cooling process, a cool/tranquil state').

:lol:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!