News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Anyone that's flying on Wednesday.

Started by Cuddlefish, November 22, 2010, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

The Republicans won't get all riled up. We're obviously doing this for the good of America™.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cramulus

Quote from: Suu on November 23, 2010, 02:24:11 PM
Write letters or something...Call your senators...It worked for me with Sallie Mae and the student loan bullshit, it can work for this if you have enough people.

not to threadjack, but what was that about?

I love love love stories in which sallie mae gets the short end of the stick

hooplala

Quote from: Suu on November 23, 2010, 02:24:11 PM
The way I look at it, maybe I can scar someone for life by them having to look at my fat white ass when I walk through the backscatter...because when I head to Tampa next month for Christmas, I will be PISSED if I get stuck in the fucking line because everyone is opting out. Fuck you, I wanna get on my goddamn plane! It's bad enough I'm flying out of Logan and not Green.

Write letters or something...Call your senators...It worked for me with Sallie Mae and the student loan bullshit, it can work for this if you have enough people.

Freedom is often an inconvenience.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 23, 2010, 02:28:24 PM
Get Republicans all riled up.  They'll introduce legislation to abolish the TSA and then Obama will compromise and get rid of the scanners and gropings.  

not working.
the orbital mind control lasers are making all my Red-Team friends and family that i've talked to about this ignore the liberty aspect, and focus on the 'security' aspect...
hell, my folks just flew to France, and were disappointed when they didn't get to announce their choice of which form of invasion they wanted...

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 23, 2010, 01:11:36 PM
If people really opt out on the day before thanksgiving, I'll tell you what happens:

TSA agents give a half-smile, and say, "Fine.  Step this way."  They then spend fifteen minutes patting the person down.  While this is happening, no one else is allowed to go through security.

Cut to three hours later, when 80% of passengers have missed their flights and are still waiting in line, and this fun little protest isn't so fun anymore.

It's the TSA's job to stay at the airport for the duration of their shift, and then go home.  It's the airline's job to depart on time.

Nowhere does it say that either the TSA or the airline is responsible for getting passengers on their flights.  What the protesters are failing to grasp is that the majority of passengers don't want to be in the airport any longer than they have to be, and just want to get to their destinations.  "Sticking it to the man" by missing their flight isn't really going to benefit them.

End result: The passengers are screwed, nothing changes.

LMNO
-Just nuke me and get me to the fucking gate, already.  Enjoy the pictures of my cock.

Um... not even sure where to begin with this...

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 23, 2010, 01:33:42 PM
LMNO is flying the correct jet liner. 

The opt out day will make for good headlines, but it isn't going to change screening procedures.  I mean, it's great people are pissed and are thinking about doing something.  It's just that, this something really isn't going to do anything. 

Actually its the ONLY way screening procedures will change.  You think accepting it with a smile is going to change anything?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Richter

Chatted with a co worker about this, and she was in favor of it.  She wanted to know she was safe when she flies.  I replied that statistically, my diet, my car, crap in the air, or lightning will kill me before a terrorist does.   The money and time might be better allocated.
Oh MAN did I get stink-eye for that.  
Drove home Roger's point though, people THOUGHT this was necessary, they asked to have their rights violated and voided in the name of this security, and the folks in charge obliged.  The sphincter is shut, it is made by the TSA and the TSA keeps it.  The TSA will not suffer any to easily pass.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

hooplala

People who want safety over freedom will be the first ones to start whining when the Victory Gin starts pouring.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Quote from: Hoopla on November 23, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
Actually its the ONLY way screening procedures will change.  You think accepting it with a smile is going to change anything?

Well, obviously not.  Call my cynical, but I think it's more likely than not the scenario will be as LMNO described.  That people will opt out, it will cause delays and people who didn't want to opt out will miss their flights.  So then you have people getting pissed about screenings mixed with people pissed at the people pissed about the screenings.  The message becomes muddy.

However, given that our President has a backbone made out of gelatin, I will concede that it is possible this will result in some kind of change.  I'm just not super optimistic it will happen.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on November 23, 2010, 02:47:35 PM
Well, obviously not.  Call my cynical, but I think it's more likely than not the scenario will be as LMNO described.  That people will opt out, it will cause delays and people who didn't want to opt out will miss their flights.  So then you have people getting pissed about screenings mixed with people pissed at the people pissed about the screenings.  The message becomes muddy.

However, given that our President has a backbone made out of gelatin, I will concede that it is possible this will result in some kind of change.  I'm just not super optimistic it will happen.  

It probably will because a lot of people at the last second will suddenly be thinking the same way LMNO and Suu are here, in which case I guess we get the security measures we deserve. 

I mean, really, why should the personal freedoms of an individual come before the minor aggravation of the herd?  What was I thinking?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on November 23, 2010, 02:38:30 PM
Freedom is often an inconvenience.

My point isn't that these screenings are ok.  My point is that opting out won't actually change anything, unless you consider groping to be more "free" than the backscatter.  Because if you want to fly, then it's one or the other right now.

And another point-- If you're looking to get enough citizens to stand up and protest the government, shutting down the airport by opting out won't do it.  That will get citizens mad at the protesters, not the government.

The political ideology is nice, but it has to take place in a world where human psychology and sociology play a larger part.  Monkeys won't follow the logic that it's the TSA policies that are preventing them from seeing grandma and her pumpkin pie.  They'll blame the "damn liberal hippie terrorist-loving protesters blocking security and making me wait in line for three hours."

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on November 23, 2010, 02:51:58 PM
I mean, really, why should the personal freedoms of an individual come before the minor aggravation of the herd?  What was I thinking?

Again, what freedoms?  You're going to be violated either way if you want to get through security.  Ideally, the way to protest would be not to fly.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 23, 2010, 02:54:27 PM

My point isn't that these screenings are ok.  My point is that opting out won't actually change anything, unless you consider groping to be more "free" than the backscatter.  Because if you want to fly, then it's one or the other right now.

And another point-- If you're looking to get enough citizens to stand up and protest the government, shutting down the airport by opting out won't do it.  That will get citizens mad at the protesters, not the government.

The political ideology is nice, but it has to take place in a world where human psychology and sociology play a larger part.  Monkeys won't follow the logic that it's the TSA policies that are preventing them from seeing grandma and her pumpkin pie.  They'll blame the "damn liberal hippie terrorist-loving protesters blocking security and making me wait in line for three hours."

There is no way to know what it would change unless it is done.  The TSA has gotten more criticism in the media in the last two weeks than I've seen in the last 9 years combined, simply because people are pissed off and have had enough.

If people feel they are inconvenienced tomorrow by people protesting for their own freedoms, pardon my French, but FUCK THEM.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Triple Zero

I think the airlines won't like it one bit if all those people miss their flight.

And apparently, people will care as soon as it hits their wallet.

In the line, are all tickets the same price? What's the cheapest option for people that just want to be there and opt out?

So if all the people that didn't care before get really pissed when they miss their flight, what are they going to do?

It sucks but they shouldnt be angry at the people opting out.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 23, 2010, 02:54:27 PMAnd another point-- If you're looking to get enough citizens to stand up and protest the government, shutting down the airport by opting out won't do it.  That will get citizens mad at the protesters, not the government.

I really wonder about that.

Either way, the ones getting mad at the damn hippies have it coming, simply for not being mad enough ad the TSA policies.

Quote from: Hoopla on November 23, 2010, 02:57:32 PMThe TSA has gotten more criticism in the media in the last two weeks than I've seen in the last 9 years combined, simply because people are pissed off and have had enough.

And don't forget: also because it inconveniences white American citizens now.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 23, 2010, 02:55:52 PM
Again, what freedoms?  You're going to be violated either way if you want to get through security.  Ideally, the way to protest would be not to fly.

True, you make a very good point, hitting the airlines where it hurts is the best way... its too bad there wasn't an airline that was allowed to work without security, as a control, to show where the money could be going if people had the choice.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman