News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Anyone that's flying on Wednesday.

Started by Cuddlefish, November 22, 2010, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Word on the street is that this Wednesday, the 24 of November, is "Opt-out" day for people travelling out of the airports. The idea is that everyone should opt-out of the body scan, and take the much longer to accomplish pat-down procedure, to slow down the airports to a crawl as a form of protest.

Sure, it sounds a lot like picking a day to not but gas for your car to put the "screws" into the big oil companies, and it may not accomplish anything, but I figured I'd pass the word.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Triple Zero

Actually because the procedure is so much slower, I believe it could potentially have a MUCH bigger impact than not buying gas for a single day.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I'll be driving.  So in solidarity, I will opt out of following the speed limit.

TAKE THAT, THE MAN!!!!!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Suppose to counter the TSA, to counter this nonviolent protest to their security methods, simply states that it's "x-rays or GTFO NO REFUND FOR YUO".  They could call it a matter of short staff, necessity to keep the cooperative customers moving, and / or pressure from airlines, and easily painting the refusers as noncomformist malcontents to the NEW WAY OF THINGS tm

Nope, I haven't thought through what kind of political / public relations / business nightmare this would be.  Just tossing it out.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Remington

Quote from: Richter on November 23, 2010, 12:41:18 AM
Suppose to counter the TSA, to counter this nonviolent protest to their security methods, simply states that it's "x-rays or GTFO NO REFUND FOR YUO".  They could call it a matter of short staff, necessity to keep the cooperative customers moving, and / or pressure from airlines, and easily painting the refusers as noncomformist malcontents to the NEW WAY OF THINGS tm

Nope, I haven't thought through what kind of political / public relations / business nightmare this would be.  Just tossing it out.
It's possible, though it seems unlikely. What about cancer survivors? People with pacemakers or other sensitive medical devices? A harmless scan for normal people could have dangerous effect on them.
Is it plugged in?

Richter

Quote from: Remington on November 23, 2010, 12:43:56 AM

It's possible, though it seems unlikely. What about cancer survivors? People with pacemakers or other sensitive medical devices? A harmless scan for normal people could have dangerous effect on them.

Good point.  They'd mostly have notice from their doctor for those kind of conditions though, wouldn't they?  I'm pretty certain this is the case for pacemakers and implants (cousin has one, and needs her note with her when she flies).
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Almost nobody (I only say "almost" because I'm sure someone, somewhere, is an exception) carries a doctor's note about their pacemaker or having had cancer. There's never been a reason for them to have to. I don't carry a doctor's note about brain tumor or my heart problem... hell, I don't even have anything documenting it at all. It's all filed away in my medical records.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Quote from: Richter on November 23, 2010, 12:52:12 AM
Quote from: Remington on November 23, 2010, 12:43:56 AM

Then there's people like the guy who had the bladder implant, couldn't go through the scanner, and then while getting patted down, the TSA agent broke the seal on his tube and doused both of them with his urine.........

Good point.  They'd mostly have notice from their doctor for those kind of conditions though, wouldn't they?  I'm pretty certain this is the case for pacemakers and implants (cousin has one, and needs her note with her when she flies).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bella

Quote from: Nigel on November 23, 2010, 01:31:59 AM
Almost nobody (I only say "almost" because I'm sure someone, somewhere, is an exception) carries a doctor's note about their pacemaker or having had cancer. There's never been a reason for them to have to. I don't carry a doctor's note about brain tumor or my heart problem... hell, I don't even have anything documenting it at all. It's all filed away in my medical records.

My brother-in-law's the exception to that rule. He carries a dr's note when he travels because he's a transplant patient and needs his anti-rejection meds. If he doesn't have a note, security makes him check his meds in his baggage, which would be a disaster if the bag got lost. The note also excuses him from being scanned because he's had so many already that it's a possible health hazard.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Requia ☣

Since the scanners don't work through creased clothes, it might be worth getting as many people as possible to wear anything that might screw with the scanner.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

"Why am I wearing this pleated skirt, you ask?  Do you follow fashion, sir?"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

1) Obtain a large amount of money to buy absurd amounts of tickets for absurd amounts of absurdly fat people.
2) Obtain an absurd amount of absurdly fat people and get them all to opt out.
3) Hide candy in their rolls.
4) ?????
5) There's no profit, but it will probably be funny.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Grade 7 Pannus on November 23, 2010, 03:49:02 AM
1) Obtain a large amount of money to buy absurd amounts of tickets for absurd amounts of absurdly fat people.
2) Obtain an absurd amount of absurdly fat people and get them all to opt out.
3) Hide candy in their rolls.
4) ?????
5) There's no profit, but it will probably be funny.
:spittake:

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!