News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Anyone that's flying on Wednesday.

Started by Cuddlefish, November 22, 2010, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Incidentally, here is an actual security expert, talking about the TSA

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/11/tsa_backscatter.html

Bruce has a point, that it is interesting this has only become an issue since it starting being trouble for white people, but as someone who has been hammering airports for nearly 5 years now about their use of security theatre, I think I'm justified in using whatever publicity is going to get them to stop.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 25, 2010, 09:03:56 PM
What? So far I've read, the dangers of that scanner are as good as negligible? Got a link to where it says it could actually pose risk?

Negligible yes, but still more substantial than the risk of terrorism.  (multiply a 16 hundred thousands of one percent risk by 600 million travelers, you get nine or ten deaths a year, compared to roughly zero from airplane attacks).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cuddlefish

A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cramulus

most erotic news EVAR

http://www.deadseriousnews.com/?p=573

This unfortunately shoots holes in my theory that the best way to counter this stuff is to get aroused by it.

Suu

Quote from: Cramulus on November 29, 2010, 04:39:58 PM
most erotic news EVAR

This unfortunately shoots holes in my theory that the best way to counter this stuff is to get aroused by it.

Damn.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on November 29, 2010, 04:39:58 PM
most erotic news EVAR

Percy CUMMINGS?

I call bullshit.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

ahhh you're right

it's a fake news site

I was had.

GOOD SPOT, HOOPS

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on November 29, 2010, 05:01:31 PM
ahhh you're right

it's a fake news site

I was had.

GOOD SPOT, HOOPS

I was duped by two probably fake stories in the last couple weeks, to my embarrassment... I am now disbelieving everything as a matter of principle. 

In fact, I doubt Leslie Neilson is actually dead.

In the words of Ed Rooney, roll his bones on in here...

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

So, there wasn't really an opt-out, was there?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 25, 2010, 07:46:36 AM
Heh.

I'm seeing a lot of implication in liberal circles lately that complaining about TSA screening methods means you are a Koch-backed Teabagger.

This is just like 2003, only in bizarro world, and more retarded.

There are no fucking liberals.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 25, 2010, 12:52:03 AM
They did that 8 or 9 years ago.  Maryland cops came clean a while back that they had been putting people on the terrorist list for protesting the war.  Not as department policy, but because the crime statistics software the feds gave them was doing this.

How did Maryland even determine who they were?

I call bullshit on the cops on this one.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requia ☣ on November 26, 2010, 05:57:58 PM
Negligible yes, but still more substantial than the risk of terrorism.  (multiply a 16 hundred thousands of one percent risk by 600 million travelers, you get nine or ten deaths a year, compared to roughly zero from airplane attacks).

From what I read so far is that the level of radiation is checked to be "safe enough" when the power of the radiation is spread evenly throughout the volume of the body, as would happen with normal X-rays, but because the backscatter machines radiation only penetrates a few millimetres (or centimetres) of the surface of the skin, the dosage the skin gets is an order of magnitude higher.

Additionally, there's no extra protection being made for the head and eyes, which are even more sensitive, yet you can't hide a bomb in your head or knives behind your eyeballs.

Additionally this machine has not gone through the extensive testing medical X-ray machines go through. There are many dangerous points of failure, for example if the ray gets stuck at some point, that point will get an really big amount of radiation (if you ever notice a backscatter machine that only produces half images like it stopped halfway through a scanline, opt out).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.