News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

I will KILL a motherfucker

Started by Remington, November 24, 2010, 05:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

My laptop. RUINED. A week and a half before final projects/exams. ALL my course work is on it.

ACER MAKES SHIT LAPTOPS, PEOPLE. My damned graphics adapter just blew out an hour ago, rendering the laptop useless as anything other than a bludgeoning instrument. It lasted exactly 1 year and 3 months (on the fucking dot).

I will now proceed to take the following steps:

1. Remove hard drive from old laptop
2. Verify that the hard drive is indeed still functional
3. Backup data from hard drive onto desktop
4. Purchase new, non-Acer laptop
5. Install old hard drive in new laptop
6. Take a massive, festering dump in old laptop
7. Mail old laptop to the nearest Acer support center
8. Send polite, snailmail letters to every quality control manager in Acer I can find on the Internet, explaining the impact their product has had on my education, and how as a future IT professional I ensure that no department I work in will be similarly inconvenienced.

RAEG

Is it plugged in?

Don Coyote

My first laptop is an ACER, and my second laptop is an ACER. They seem to work alright. The first survived two years of abuse and 6 months in Kuwait, and is still functional.

geekdad

1. Find out if laptop hard drive is IDE or SATA.

1. Find adapter for IDE to SATA or vice versa (see your needs for your computer)

50. Remove hard drive from laptop.

2. Connect laptop hard drive as a normal drive in your (or who-fucking-ever's) desktop.

51. Get data off the drive.

Note: Local computer repair companies can do this for you for a fee. DO NOT GOTO A BIG BOX LIKE BEST BUY YOU DOLT.
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

The Good Reverend Roger

Acer comps sucked in the 90s, and apparently they still suck now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Remington

Quote from: geekdad on November 24, 2010, 05:06:49 AM
1. Find out if hard drive is IDE or SATA.

1. Find adapter for IDE to SATA or vice versa (see your needs for your computer)

50. Remove hard drive from laptop.

2. Connect laptop hard drive as a normal drive in your (or who-fucking-ever's) desktop.

51. Get data off the drive.

Note: Local computer repair companies can do this for you for a fee. DO NOT GOTO A BIG BOX LIKE BEST BUY YOU DOLT.
I know. The only problem is that the screws on the back of the laptop are microscopic. I'll need to go into a comp repair shop to get it open, I can take it the rest of the way.
Is it plugged in?

Juvenal

My acer netbook has lived through being dropped 6 feet onto concrete, almost a full pint of beer spilling all over the keyboard, and thus the internal components, repeated fist pounding on the keyboard, and flying from the back seat into the front middle console today as I decelerated from about 80 mph 15 feet or so from an almost unnoticed stop sign.  :shrug: 

I love that little netbook.

Jasper

Posting from an Acer.

Although I have had a much better experience with their netbooks than anything else.  Their larger sized laptops have consistently given me trouble.

Gotta say though, this little aspireone has gotten me through thick and thin, and shows no sign of slowing down.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Can I give everyone a small slice of advice? One which I will surely fail to follow consistently and be raging about in six months?

PLEASE buy a $50 external hard drive, and do a scheduled backup every night at 2 am or whenever is good for you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juvenal

Quote from: Nigel on November 24, 2010, 07:17:23 AM
Can I give everyone a small slice of advice? One which I will surely fail to follow consistently and be raging about in six months?

PLEASE buy a $50 external hard drive, and do a scheduled backup every night at 2 am or whenever is good for you.
I felt pretty dumb for not doing this recently.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Juvenal on November 24, 2010, 07:21:43 AM
I felt pretty dumb for not doing this recently.

Tell me about it. I have two external drives and one's been giving me an error message for a week.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I have ceased trusting external HDs after every single one has fucked itself after being briefly serviceable.

So now I just make sure to have backups of as much as possible on as many different hard drives, dvds, and flash drives, as possible. 

If you do go with an external HD, for the love of kittens power it down when you're not using it.  Their lack of cooling and uniformly poor power sources are a terrible recipe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Really? Weird. Seems like you would know long beforehand if your backup drive wasn't working, before your main died.

Jasper

Mostly I just powered up one day and found that the damned things had either covered themselves in bad sectors, lost their partition table, or had some kind of power source malfunction.  In the latter cases I was able to tear the thing open and salvage some of the data.

geekdad

From: Knight Templar Geekdad the Nonfunctional also known as Pope Naughty the Nice
To: All Discordians; past, present, and future.
Subject: New Holyday

This is a proclamation from Knight Templar Geekdad the Nonfunctional also known as Pope Naughty the Nice, please pay attention, and make sure to get some change.

The day that follows Flux days will now be considered "Make a physical backup day you spag". (or not)

On this day it is required to make a physical backup, interpreting physical backup as the Discordian sees fit, of any data that pretains to Discordian traditions and holy writ. If at this time you would like to make a copy and backup of your personal data you may do that as well. You may also backup things more frequently on other media such as a DVD or an external harddrive.

ALL DISCORDIAN TRADITIONS AND WRIT THAT HAS BEEN BACKED UP SHOULD HAVE A COPY SENT TO ANOTHER ERISIAN FOR POSTERITY ON CHAOSFLUX. (OR NOT)

This writ is declared, so mote it be. As it is above the fridge so it is below the cupboards.

By the power vested in me by the 5th Barf of the Pentabarf.
-Signed

Knight Templar Geekdad the Nonfunctional also known as Pope Naughty the Nice
Making you think you're crazy is a billion dollar industry.
If they could sell sanity in a bottle
They'd be charging for compressed air,
And marketing healthcare.

Sir Squid Diddimus

I have the Asus eee pc for a laptop.
It has survived my incessant abuse.
It is a good little... doo dad.
Everyone ate cookies and tea.

The end.