News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

I will KILL a motherfucker

Started by Remington, November 24, 2010, 05:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Acer has good hardware for low cost.
They achieve this low cost by using bad construction and wiring.

HP is solid, but expensive as fuck.

LG uses a randomizer to decide how good their products are going to be. Well, they use a more randomer randomizer than the other companies.

General tip: get alot of background info for every product you are considering.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Eater of Clowns

That is fucking awful, Remmy.  I hope you can put a patch on the thing.

Since we're on a brand spree here, I had a piece of absolute shit Dell laptop, which lasted 6 years propped up on stacks of pennies to keep it from overheating.  It convinced to homebrew the machine I have now, which is a fucking phenomenal beast.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Remington on November 24, 2010, 05:09:48 AM
I know. The only problem is that the screws on the back of the laptop are microscopic. I'll need to go into a comp repair shop to get it open, I can take it the rest of the way.

eyeglass repair kit comes in handy for very tiny screws.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 24, 2010, 07:29:05 AM
I have ceased trusting external HDs after every single one has fucked itself after being briefly serviceable.

So now I just make sure to have backups of as much as possible on as many different hard drives, dvds, and flash drives, as possible. 

Never had that problem with my extrnal HD.

But for real important information I don't want to lose, I mail it to myself on GMail.

You can trust Google for one thing, they never ever throw away your data ;-)

Off-site backups FTW...
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

I had an Acer for ~4 years.  Only thing I replaced on it was the keyboard (not because of it malfunctioning, I just wore the buttons' letters off over time), till the power cord got ripped out and so was practically unuseable to a large degree...now I have a Sony Saio.  I like it.  But have only had it since April or so.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on November 24, 2010, 07:17:23 AM
Can I give everyone a small slice of advice? One which I will surely fail to follow consistently and be raging about in six months?

PLEASE buy a $50 external hard drive, and do a scheduled backup every night at 2 am or whenever is good for you.

THIS.

I plan to get one of these VERY soon.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Remington

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 24, 2010, 12:11:27 PM
That is fucking awful, Remmy.  I hope you can put a patch on the thing.

Since we're on a brand spree here, I had a piece of absolute shit Dell laptop, which lasted 6 years propped up on stacks of pennies to keep it from overheating.  It convinced to homebrew the machine I have now, which is a fucking phenomenal beast.
No can do. The problem is almost certainly with the graphics adapter, which is integrated into the motherboard itself. Under any circumstances but these I would love to do a homebrew project like that, but finals are within sight and I need a laptop -now-.
Is it plugged in?

Bruno

Dunno if you'd want it, but walmart has a $198 eMachines laptop in their Black Friday sale.

eMachines® 15.6" Laptop

• 2GB memory
• 250GB hard drive
• 15.6" diagonal HD display
• Intel Celeron processor, 2.2 GHz
• Wireless enabled
Formerly something else...

the last yatto

Android is a nice os. Might get a tablet, tho I've heard mean things about samsuck

Photobucket app autobackups my photos, and lookout app functions as virus scanner and saves phonenumbers. also lojacks the device :)

There's even a few paid apps that backup other files to servers under a good RAID array
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

The boyfriend is a Applegeek. Every time he upgrades his iPod, iPad, MacBook, etc, I get the refurbished!monsterized leftovers. I approve of this.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on November 24, 2010, 08:54:41 PM
Dunno if you'd want it, but walmart has a $198 eMachines laptop in their Black Friday sale.

eMachines® 15.6" Laptop

• 2GB memory
• 250GB hard drive
• 15.6" diagonal HD display
• Intel Celeron processor, 2.2 GHz
• Wireless enabled

Damn! That sounds like a freaking good deal! Only question is how much battery-life they got, but even then, given that it's only €149 ...
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 25, 2010, 12:25:34 PM
Damn! That sounds like a freaking good deal! Only question is how much battery-life they got, but even then, given that it's only €149 ...

I know, right? I'm tempted to get one, except I can't think of a single use I would have for it.
Formerly something else...

Bella

Hope the hard drive swap goes smoothly. And I like the look of your new laptop.

This must be the week for computer death. Liam's laptop just bit the dust and there's nowhere open to buy a new one today. We're actually planning on getting up at 4 fucking 30 in the morning to hit the Black Friday sale at Staples.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here