News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

I love our retarded media

Started by Cain, November 25, 2010, 02:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 28, 2010, 12:51:30 AM
Because the 1000 percent increase takes 30 years and is implemented as a continual gradual increase.  the 300 percent one is in one year.

Yes, but how much has it gone up total in the last 30 years?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

We're having a vote on whether to triple the price of tuition fees, tomorrow.*

This could actually collapse the coalition.  That's how important this is.  There have been proper, well planned and apparently spontaneous student protests for weeks now.  Left wing Lib Dems, such as Norman Baker and Lynne Featherstone (both Cabinet members) are threatening not to vote, and others are thinking of abstaining.  Labour looks set to vote against it as well.  The Tories alone don't have that much of a majority in Parliament...and this vote is going to be very tight.

*Maybe.  Labour are seeing if they can delay it.

Cain

Scratch that.  Featherstone has been made to recant her "Left-Deviationism" on TV.  Seriously, she looked like one of those guys at the Stalin show trials, been made to confess her crimes.  It was kinda painful to watch.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 06:42:55 PM
Scratch that.  Featherstone has been made to recant her "Left-Deviationism" on TV.  Seriously, she looked like one of those guys at the Stalin show trials, been made to confess her crimes.  It was kinda painful to watch.

Interesting times, no?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Oh yeah.  There are going to be hundreds of thousands of students protesting in London tomorrow, as well.

I hope if the vote goes through, they lose their shit and wreck the place.  They may as well, the media will say they did regardless.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 06:46:24 PM
Oh yeah.  There are going to be hundreds of thousands of students protesting in London tomorrow, as well.

I hope if the vote goes through, they lose their shit and wreck the place.  They may as well, the media will say they did regardless.

And the cops are gonna thump 'em either way, so why the fuck not?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Exactly.  There was some pretty good footage of a cop punching a kid (literally a kid, couldn't have been older than 16) in the face for...well, being in the way, as far as I can see.

Plus "kettling".  Because nothing says "the children are the future" like herding them into an area they cannot escape from, denying them access to food, water and facilities for long periods and then mass arresting them, usually with a liberal dose of beatings for anyone still strong enough to object.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 06:59:56 PM
Exactly.  There was some pretty good footage of a cop punching a kid (literally a kid, couldn't have been older than 16) in the face for...well, being in the way, as far as I can see.

Plus "kettling".  Because nothing says "the children are the future" like herding them into an area they cannot escape from, denying them access to food, water and facilities for long periods and then mass arresting them, usually with a liberal dose of beatings for anyone still strong enough to object.

NICE.

The Good Reverend Roger

Cain

On the plus side, the Lib Dems and Tories have just lost the youth vote for a generation.  So its not all bad.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 07:22:47 PM
On the plus side, the Lib Dems and Tories have just lost the youth vote for a generation.  So its not all bad.

I think you're being optimistic concerning human nature and memory.

Cain

Maybe.  But it only has to last another 4 years.  Labour are utterly hopeless still, and the vote was split several dozen ways last time...next election is going to be fantastic.  Especially now the BNP are bankrupt.

The Lib Dems will be hit hard by this though, as much of their support is student based.  Incredibly so, based on my own experience.  They've just gutted their core supporters for the sake of the Tories, who mostly refer to them as "squishes" when they're not around and generally try to undermine them at every turn.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 07:28:27 PM
Maybe.  But it only has to last another 4 years.  Labour are utterly hopeless still, and the vote was split several dozen ways last time...next election is going to be fantastic.  Especially now the BNP are bankrupt.

The Lib Dems will be hit hard by this though, as much of their support is student based.  Incredibly so, based on my own experience.  They've just gutted their core supporters for the sake of the Tories, who mostly refer to them as "squishes" when they're not around and generally try to undermine them at every turn.

That sounds awfully familiar.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cain on December 08, 2010, 06:42:55 PM

woot!  How beautifully Orwellian.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

Welcome to the Brave New World of our coalition government. 

I'm not going to pretend I know Mrs Featherstone, but I've seen her writing on several issues before, and I know she leans closer to the "Compass Group" led by the Labour Jon Cruddas MP than she does with the coalition government.  So I can only assume the Whips are handing out marching orders and pulling out every kind of threat they have to insure compliance.  She is the Equalities Minister (a position she is very well suited for, IMO) and it is entirely likely that little whispers about a Cabinet reshuffle have been heard, and she thinks it is her overriding duty to try and moderate Tory excesses by holding onto that position for as long as she can.

Which is of course, the trap.  Because whatever it is they did, they now know she has a weakness, they will exploit that weakness for further votes in their favour.  Sadly, acting like North Korea is the only viable option in Parliament, especially if you have a healthy hold on your constituency, acting rational only leads you down a dark and dismal path of compromise and negation.