News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

I love our retarded media

Started by Cain, November 25, 2010, 02:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

It allows idiots like Laurie Penny to describe student protests as a "children's crusade" with no historical awareness of what that phrase suggests.

As an aside, it is a children's crusade, in the sense that they're all going to go on a march, end up going in the wrong direction (ie voting for Labour, who are also set on raising tuition fees), and eventually be sold into (loan repayment) slavery.

bds

Watching the news last night, you'd have thought the whole fucking country was on fire, not just a few thousand students wandering about in Westminster.

Cain

Noes, riots!

Fucking bunch of limpwristed pansies.  The French and the Greeks - they do riots.  This is just slightly forceful protesting. Not that it matters.  Once they get to voting age, they'll sign on up en masse to put a cross next to Ed Miliband's Labour Party, who will proceed to fuck them over in exactly the same way the Lib Dems did, uh, five months ago.  And they can put on as many pretty marches as they want, but all three parties are de facto committed to raising the cost of education.  They're screwed.  Game over.  I fully approve of breaking shit, or even just getting out of the house for a while, but I'm realistic in that I acknowledge it wont change anything.

Incidentally, it turns out Laurie Penny is around the same age as me.  Which doesn't excuse her historical unawareness, but explains a lot.  Most people around my age, especially those in the media, are far too busy reading newspapers and opinion polls and so on to take notice of piddling things like history.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Subetai on November 25, 2010, 02:55:14 PM
It allows idiots like Laurie Penny to describe student protests as a "children's crusade" with no historical awareness of what that phrase suggests.

As an aside, it is a children's crusade, in the sense that they're all going to go on a march, end up going in the wrong direction (ie voting for Labour, who are also set on raising tuition fees), and eventually be sold into (loan repayment) slavery.

And they're probably even wearing jeans ! :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

bds

Yeah, I really get the impression the student protests are really optimistic ~ I think they're gunna have to break a lot more shit to change anybody's mind.

Although on the other hand, I almost don't think that raising tuition fees... is a TERRIBLE thing, y'know? I mean obviously I'd like to get a degree as cheap as possible, but I'd rather get a good degree and have debt, than a shitty degree and have less debt. I mean I'm gunna get financially fucked in the ass wherever I go to uni, so basically I just gotta suck it up.

Cain

There needs to be more funding for higher education, no doubt.

On the other hand, we just pulled several billion out of our arses to bail out Irish banks, so....

bds

I heard somewhere that the bailout money is ALL of the projected savings that we're making from the cuts. :lulz:

Cain

We live in hard time, and must make sacrifices for the common good.  We all must tighten our belts and act with fiscal responsibility...wait, are there bankers about to go bust because of their own stupidity and greed?  Where is my chequebook?

bds

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER LOL
                                       /

Prince Glittersnatch III

Im a bit uninformed here.
Exactly how much are they planning on raising the fee to?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Cain

From £3,300 a year to...well, it's not exactly clear as it hasn't been finalized yet, but it is believed Progressive Hero Nick Clegg, Deputy PM, Fighting The Power in his time off, got a concession of £9000 a year. 

For the moment.  This is just the tuition fee, it should be pointed out the cost of living is also rising in the UK, far more quickly than student loans are, and the method for assessing student loans is horrible, especially if your parents dont support you (like they didnt in my case).

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 25, 2010, 03:21:58 PM
And they're probably even wearing jeans ! :lulz:
Wait, Fibonacci was in that book? i have to reread!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Subetai on November 26, 2010, 08:47:53 AM
From £3,300 a year to...well, it's not exactly clear as it hasn't been finalized yet, but it is believed Progressive Hero Nick Clegg, Deputy PM, Fighting The Power in his time off, got a concession of £9000 a year. 

For the moment.  This is just the tuition fee, it should be pointed out the cost of living is also rising in the UK, far more quickly than student loans are, and the method for assessing student loans is horrible, especially if your parents dont support you (like they didnt in my case).

They're nearly tripling it?  Wow, that is kind of insane.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cain

Yep.  And doing worse to foreign students.  I cant remember exactly what, but it was designed to basically price foreign students out of the UK market.  When I was at Uni, it was about £10,000 a year for them.

BabylonHoruv

Tuition goes up pretty much every year in the US, but it's always by a relatively small percentage.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl