News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Monster Factory for Pathfinder.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 28, 2010, 03:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 05:58:23 AM
This could be a horror documentary:  When Mooks Optimize!  :lulz:

I love the ideas.  Makes me wish I had a group here, a little.

I used to write an article with a friend for Hack Quarterly, When Good Players/DMs Go BAD in which he would demonstrate how to break character classes, and I would demonstrate how to break monsters.

So fund a group.  It isn't hard to do.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2010, 05:16:39 AM
Holy shit!

3 bathrooms

I barely have the one!

Master bedroom suite is three rooms, including the "bathroom", that would put Nero to shame.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2010, 05:53:01 PM
I used to write an article with a friend for Hack Quarterly, When Good Players/DMs Go BAD in which he would demonstrate how to break character classes, and I would demonstrate how to break monsters.

So fund a group.  It isn't hard to do.

The problem is, I don't really D&D.  My preferred method is something like FUDGE with a focus on realism.  Hard to find a group for that.  Most players attempt to kill me when I even mention it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 07:31:01 PM
The problem is, I don't really D&D.  My preferred method is something like FUDGE with a focus on realism.  Hard to find a group for that.  Most players attempt to kill me when I even mention it.

They're right.  Book rules or GTFO.

Jasper

We usually do GTFO.  It's funner to do RPGs on long walks in the late hours.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 07:39:17 PM
We usually do GTFO.  It's funner to do RPGs on long walks in the late hours.

Where do you put the grid map?  The books?  The piles and piles of reference notes?

Jasper

We would just agree on percentage rolls to arbitrate everything, based on what was thought reasonable and likely.  One of us might bring a TI-84 and use some homebrew calcs for some things.  One example was using a compound interest formula to calculate hit probabilities based on distance and skill.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 07:48:26 PM
We would just agree on percentage rolls to arbitrate everything, based on what was thought reasonable and likely.  One of us might bring a TI-84 and use some homebrew calcs for some things.  One example was using a compound interest formula to calculate hit probabilities based on distance and skill.

:crankey:

Jasper

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 07:48:26 PM

So...how is this more realistic?

Jasper

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 28, 2010, 07:57:56 PM
So...how is this more realistic?

It sets practical limits to skill and shows a smooth gradation in hit probability for a shot's difficulty.  I think the guy who did that stuff also had memorized the effective ranges of many common rifles, so it was a fairly representative system.

The Good Reverend Roger

Back on topic, I'm almost done with the Trogdor Template.

It's the one that gives the creature involved a big beefy arm sticking out the back of their neck.

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2010, 08:05:21 PM
Back on topic, I'm almost done with the Trogdor Template.

It's the one that gives the creature involved a big beefy arm sticking out the back of their neck.

Sounds fun.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Coyote on November 28, 2010, 06:21:38 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2010, 05:04:40 AM
Other problem:  Ghost engulfs you, what, you just walk out of it.

It just isn't a ghost creature.  It's DR goes, 11 points of natural armor lost for 2 points of deflection bonus, all it's hit points go away, etc.

Needs something else.

I'm a bit hazy but......hand wave that this ghost can engulf.

You don't know my players.

The Good Reverend Roger

Simple Trogdor Template

+ 4 Str
Grow a beefy arm out the back of your neck (1 extra attack, +2 grapple).
Gain multi attack feat.

May only be applied to living creatures, but may not be applied to oozes or slimes.

+1 CR

Advanced Trogdor Template

Gain special abilities as follows:

Burninate The creature can breathe fire as a 5' line attack, to a range of 60'.  This deals 1d6 damage per hit die of the creature.  Victims save reflex DC (10+1/2 creature's hit dice + constitution bonus).  This may be used 1/day + a number of times equal to the creature's constitution bonus, to a minimum of one.

Consumate V's  The creature increases their natural armor bonus by a number equal to their constitution bonus.

This template may only be used if the creature has the base Trogdor Template.

+2 CR