News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

So where did these roles come from, anyway?

Started by Cramulus, November 28, 2010, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

"You have disturbed Tiax the Grand again! Such insolence! Tiax will place a mark of shame upon your forehead! All will know of your treachery!"

"It would appear that ... the great and ... mighty Tiax ... has shrunk his undergarments ... three sizes this day!  Excuse ... the mighty Tiax ... while he catches his ... his breath ... He will rule ... later ..."

As I recall, he was a Chaotic Evil Cleric of Cyric/Thief.  Edwin was also pretty awesome, despite being Lawful Evil.

Jasper

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on December 01, 2010, 07:34:22 PM
Quote from: Sir Coyote on December 01, 2010, 07:13:19 PM
As an aside I don't even play 3/3.5, I use AE/AU with some crossover stuff from 3/3.5, all the spellcasters use at least d6 for hit dice.

what's ae/au again?

It's the sound players make, when during character generation, they roll up a low Consonant score.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 01, 2010, 08:36:30 PM
Except house rules are ok if they aren't major changes.

(For example, we have a house rule that a 1 on an attack will always result in a dropped weapon, broken bow string or if you are using fists, an AoO)

Well it's your house rule, so your call, but that sounds like it would get real old, really fast. That's one in twenty rolls, so it would happen once or twice every encounter, at least! Of course, if the enemies follow the same rule, it's fair so maybe not so bad ... if you happen to like roleplaying a world where all the races have Parkinson.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 02, 2010, 10:09:27 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 01, 2010, 07:34:22 PM
As an aside I don't even play 3/3.5, I use AE/AU with some crossover stuff from 3/3.5, all the spellcasters use at least d6 for hit dice.

what's ae/au again?

It's the sound players make, when during character generation, they roll up a low Consonant score.

:lulz:

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 02, 2010, 10:24:26 AM
if you happen to like roleplaying a world where all the races have Parkinson.

OMG somebody make this a setting NOW

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

(For example, we have a house rule that a 1 on an attack will always result in a dropped weapon, broken bow string or if you are using fists, an AoO)

Well it's your house rule, so your call, but that sounds like it would get real old, really fast. That's one in twenty rolls, so it would happen once or twice every encounter, at least! Of course, if the enemies follow the same rule, it's fair so maybe not so bad ... if you happen to like roleplaying a world where all the races have Parkinson.

AHAHAHAHAHA  :lulz: s'Why I carry more than a single weapon ;-)

Ironically the only thing thats gotten me lately (this week  in fact) is when I failed my Orb of Fire attack on a Myconid... I didn't roll a one, I rolled an 8, but it was more than 4 off so I had to roll to see if I hit the monk who was hitting the Myconid...

2d8+2 fire on a third level monk... put him at -8 HP.

I had rolled a 1 on a melee attack the scene before and just dropped my weapon. The "miss by more than four in a ranged attack in melee" is a book rule not a house rule.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 30, 2010, 07:22:35 AM
It's no fun fighting things that act like they only exist to be killed.

very true. But lots of players don't agree, and it get's magnified in MMOs, which thanks to the feedback of certain table top games emulating MMOs can get worse.

And at the same time, when your group is starting out you can't be flinging crazy crap at them.

I'm looking at running an Arcana Evolved game sometime in the future. What do you find good about it, and what do you do differently from the book?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cainad on December 03, 2010, 10:40:42 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on November 30, 2010, 07:22:35 AM
It's no fun fighting things that act like they only exist to be killed.

very true. But lots of players don't agree, and it get's magnified in MMOs, which thanks to the feedback of certain table top games emulating MMOs can get worse.

And at the same time, when your group is starting out you can't be flinging crazy crap at them.

I'm looking at running an Arcana Evolved game sometime in the future. What do you find good about it, and what do you do differently from the book?

Most of it pretty gold. I hate the exotic light/heavy weapon division, but I am all bitchy about how weapon proficiencies get handled in most games, which feeds into I lifted the weapon group proficiencies from Unearthed Arcana(not to be confused with Arcana Unearthed :lulz:). And if you haven't sit down and compare how AE differens from 3.5, some of the feats and skills differ in interesting ways.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, jesus! I am listening to Antony & the Johnsons, THANKS EOT and it makes my soul hurt. ALSO I THINK I LOVE CRAMULUS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

That is also like just totally like OMG unrealistically punitive towards the players.

Cramulus

it's probably actually worse for the DM - over the course of an average session, the DM makes more to-hit rolls than the PCs and will therefore experience more Parkinson's.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cramulus on December 04, 2010, 02:35:39 PM
it's probably actually worse for the DM - over the course of an average session, the DM makes more to-hit rolls than the PCs and will therefore experience more Parkinson's.

Aside from that adding more work for the DM, it is still adding what I would find to be an unenjoyable rule to combat which is punitive in nature to the players.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on December 04, 2010, 07:31:40 PM
I don't recall posting ITT.  :?

I was kind of wondering wtf you were on about, yeah. Prolly the food poisoning hallucinations thing, I suppose?