News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Interpol warrant for Cheny...

Started by Adios, December 02, 2010, 06:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Nigerian authorities will charge former Vice President Dick Cheney over a bribery scandal that is alleged to involve Halliburton, BusinessWeek reports. An arrest warrant "will be issued and transmitted through Interpol," said Godwin Obla, the prosecuting counsel at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Nigeria. The charges center on an alleged $180 million bribery payment used to secure a $6 billion liquefied natural gas contract.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Jtt/nigeria-dick-cheney-to-be_n_790917_69353217.html

Like anyone would ever enforce it.

LMNO

Release embarrasing cables that reveal what we already know, get hunted by interpol like a dog.

Bribe, steal, and embezzle an african country, and no one cares.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 02, 2010, 06:46:20 PM
Release embarrasing cables that reveal what we already know, get hunted by interpol like a dog.

[Cheney]So?[/Cheney]
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Exactly. A lot of people will just laugh at it all. Nigeria should take a page from the U.S. and kidnap his ass.

Requia ☣

Do we even have an extradition treaty with Nigeria?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 02, 2010, 06:57:03 PM
Do we even have an extradition treaty with Nigeria?

It was in the fine print of those business propositions, but everyone chucked those out before they got to that part.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 02, 2010, 06:56:05 PM
Exactly. A lot of people will just laugh at it all. Nigeria should take a page from the U.S. and kidnap his ass.

This.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kansai

How do the Nigerians plan on enforcing this on Cheney?
The whole thing seems like a cry for attention and nobody cares.
African nations have always been exploited, I see no reason as to why Western nations would begin to care now, seeing as most of them probably have similar scandals occurring within their own multinational corporations.
Good luck Nigeria.

Nephew Twiddleton

It would be kinda satisfying to see him in a Nigerian prison though, wouldn't it?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kansai

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 02, 2010, 07:17:51 PM
It would be kinda satisfying to see him in a Nigerian prison though, wouldn't it?

I do not know about satisfying (apparently I need to become more sadistic), but it sure would be interesting.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 02, 2010, 07:17:51 PM

Yes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 02, 2010, 06:46:20 PM

Go fuck yourself.
\
:cheney:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Da6s

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/nigeria-issue-arrest-warrant-dick-cheney-bribery-case/

According to a story filed late Wednesday, Cheney will be indicted in a Nigerian bribery case as part of an investigation into an alleged $180 million bribery scandal.

"Last week, Nigeria arrested at least 23 officials from companies including Halliburton, Saipem, Technip and a former subsidiary of Panalpina Welttransport Holding AG in connection with alleged illegal payments to Nigerian officials. Those detained were all freed on bail on Nov. 29," Bloomberg News' Elisha Bala-Gbogbo wrote.

"Authorities in the West African nation are probing Halliburton, Saipem and Technip for the alleged payment of $180 million in bribes to win a $6 billion liquefied natural-gas contract," Bala-Gbogbo added. "Panalpina is being investigated for illegal payments it allegedly made to Nigerian customs officials on behalf of Royal Dutch Shell Plc."

The prosecuting counsel for the country's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said that indictments will be handed down in the next three days and that an arrest warrant for Cheney "will be issued and transmitted through Interpol."

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Jasper

Whatever

Quote from: Da6s on December 03, 2010, 12:40:25 AM

"Authorities in the West African nation are probing Halliburton, Saipem and Technip for the alleged payment of $180 million in bribes to win a $6 billion liquefied natural-gas contract," Bala-Gbogbo added. "Panalpina is being investigated for illegal payments it allegedly made to Nigerian customs officials on behalf of Royal Dutch Shell Plc."

So they paid 180 million dollars in bribes to get a contract worth 6 million? 180 to get 6. I've read it ten times now and the math still doesn't add up for me.  If that is actually true they shouldn't arrest these people, they should come up with more contracts that bribery will help get.  Boost the economy and all that!