News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Discordian Ritual Magic ?

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, December 03, 2010, 04:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on December 04, 2010, 07:59:25 AM
This is basically what the Yippies did when they tried to 'exorcise' the Pentagon (if you've read the Illuminatus! trilogy, you know that all they did was let Yog Sothoth out).

But with current memetic knowledge, and people like ThirtySeven (Skilluminati), Wes Unruh & Ed Wilson (Art of Memetics), the Yes Men, Improv Everywhere, etc, etc....

:fnord: :1fap: All you need to do to affect a companies stock price is drag them into the 24hour news cycle.

I imagine that the bizarre angle of the black magic would make the more superstitious investors dump their stock first, which will then cause the cautious ones to drop their stocks, which will then cause everyone else to drop their stocks.

...and then when the stocks in said company are dirt cheap, we collectively buy up more than 50% and start calling the shots :)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 04, 2010, 12:42:21 PM
Quote from: Telarus on December 04, 2010, 07:59:25 AM
This is basically what the Yippies did when they tried to 'exorcise' the Pentagon (if you've read the Illuminatus! trilogy, you know that all they did was let Yog Sothoth out).

But with current memetic knowledge, and people like ThirtySeven (Skilluminati), Wes Unruh & Ed Wilson (Art of Memetics), the Yes Men, Improv Everywhere, etc, etc....

:fnord: :1fap: All you need to do to affect a companies stock price is drag them into the 24hour news cycle.

I imagine that the bizarre angle of the black magic would make the more superstitious investors dump their stock first, which will then cause the cautious ones to drop their stocks, which will then cause everyone else to drop their stocks.

...and then when the stocks in said company are dirt cheap, we collectively buy up more than 50% and start calling the shots :)
I think the HFT algos that do 99.9% of the trading would see the sell orders coming in from the superstitious investors and would frontrun them and cause a flash crash, the superstitious investors would end up selling at big losses, and then the algos close their short positions bringing the stock back up about to where it was before, all in a matter of minutes.  So basically, profits for the Squid and little change otherwise.

These days, it wouldn't be enough to get superstitious people to sell, even though it would still be cool in an O:MF kind of way.  If we wanted to do what you're talking about, we'd have to somehow affect the indicators that the algos use in such a way that they continue to exert downward pressure on the stock price.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Nephew Twiddleton

It was more of an attempt at humor than anything else. But the idea of a majority of the stock in a company in Discordia's hands is a fairly intriguing idea.

Golden Applesauce

More feasibly, we all buy 1 share in a bunch of different companies, and go to all of the shareholder meetings.

I believe they serve food, and in any event we'd have an opportunity to do the Turkey Curse.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

I somehow doubt many companies allow small shareholders in at the meetings.  Also, you have to buy in chunks of a hundred iirc.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 05, 2010, 05:35:19 AM
I somehow doubt many companies allow small shareholders in at the meetings.  Also, you have to buy in chunks of a hundred iirc.

AFAIK the "buy in chunks of one hundred" thing is just a limitation of most brokers.  Buying singletons would just require either finding a broker with nothing better to do or some kind of DIY.

US law requires our publicly traded companies to have Annual General Meetings and give notice to the shareholders so many days in advance of the meeting.  I'd assume that the law also requires them to let shareholders in to the meetings, although it probably wouldn't stop them from kicking people out who were disruptive in some way.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Telarus on December 03, 2010, 08:38:05 AM
Now, that's all super-abstract 'madgiquekal' terminology, but another article that ran with that idea involved:

- a group of hooded and robed people out front of a corporate headquarters drawing backwards corporate logos and runes and symbols
- while a hidden loudspeaker plays horrible demonic chanting intertwined with a recent commercial for the target company
- and you straight up admit to anyone passing by that you are:
      "attempting to kill the entity with black magic, because obviously the government can't do anything to
      stop it from <<insert raping the public/environment/etc argument here>>"

:lulz:

That sounds incredibly fun.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Cramulus

When I originally got into Discordia, I did think of it as a sort of pagan group. I did some "Discordian magic" at a young age which basically consisted of asking Eris for things and then being highly amused at how my intent got twisted around so that I got literally what I asked for but not what I wanted. Later, I got into chaos magic and other mystical wankery. In my experiences, a few techniques were actually useful, and a lot of it was merely interesting. Sigilization might be an exercise in confirmation bias, but it's a fun ride anyway, and if you haven't tried it out, it's worth a shot. I found automatic writing to be a good way to peek into my unconscious mind.

Those are the only two bits that come to mind at the moment. I am a bit more post-occult now -- my attitudes are best described on the first page of AoM

QuoteMagic, memetics, mastermind groups, egregores, and cybernetics are all discussed in the following chapters. We've relied on the terms above in developing this book to help you use these tools to achieve your own goals through the design and spread of memes across many different layers of networks. Before we get much deeper in, let's establish why we wrote this book, and what these terms mean to us.

Magic is perhaps the most loaded term we use throughout the text, and we propose the same definition Taylor Ellwood puts forth in his book Multi-Media Magic: "Magic involves making the improbable possible. It's learning how even the slightest change you make can have a radical effect on the internal system of your psychology/spirituality, and the external system of the environment and universe you live in."5 This definition corresponds directly to the overall intention behind this book, which is to show you how internal and external networks can be brought to operate at maximum efficiency on your behalf.

Memetics, the study of cultural evolution, can be used to help us better understand our lives and achieve our desires. We've noticed that memetics, when discussed in marketing circles, tends to be a kind of metaphysical reference point. The meaning of "meme" is somewhat distanced now from Richard Dawkins' very specific definition in The Selfish Gene, where he described the meme as a unit of cultural imitation.6 Susan Blackmore gives an inspired speech on Meme as 'That which is imitated' and can be viewed on the video reference page here. Knowledge of the theory of memetics is vital in understanding contemporary discussions on the effect of word-of-mouth advertising, or where viral videos get their cultural traction. However, memetics applies to many other areas, such as the transmission of information across language barriers, the effects of psychological operations in geo-political struggles, archetypal resonance in cultures, and the growth of internet piracy. We believe that understanding the theory of memetics brings us a new perspective on understanding ourselves and why we behave in the ways we do. We want to provide you with the understanding necessary to create memes that spread rapidly and support your direct intentions and goals...

Over the years, most of the ideas that were once confined to magical theory and practice have been isolated and reformulated in different fields of study. Magicians are left guarding only a few nuggets of practical application that remain unique to magic. For the most part, all that remains solely under the banner of Magick9 is: interaction with essences generated from patterns, the manipulation of belief to alter subjective experiences, and non-local action of thought and will. Even these few ideations are being carted away into other disciplines. So why not just study those other disciplines?

We feel there is still value in the study of magic; in particular, the language system that has been built up dealing with subtle connections, forces, and objects of the psyche. (The Apophenion by Peter J. Carroll is an excellent place to start.) We believe that with grounding in the theory and experience of causing the improbable to become possible, an individual becomes empowered to reverse-engineer the hyper-real world of post-modern discourse. We believe that magic is much more than sleight of hand or sleight of mind, and we know that what has been carted away into the sciences of harmonics, chemistry, and quantum physics still haunts the spectral core of this abstraction labeled sorcery, magic, thaumaturgy, mojo, hoodoo... and in precisely the same way, magic haunts sciences, both hard and soft. One doesn't need to dig far to find elements of wizardry in neuro-linguistic programming,10 or in marketing, or in psychology. We do not react directly to the world, but rather, the world as it is filtered by our nervous system's habits of punctuation. We break down the world according to what we expect to find. How we move indicates what is important to pay attention to and what our word systems point out or hide. This is what Kenneth Burke refers to as the terministic screen, and is very similar to what Robert Anton Wilson meant when he discussed Reality Tunnels in his work Quantum Psychology.11

Because it is difficult to observe the shape of things when one is within their midst, individuals coming to some sense of themselves from within this superorganism,12 from the center of the zeitgeist, must develop a kind of intellectually rigorous intuition13 to peel apart the symbolic structures and to prevent slipping under hegemonic control, and it is this expansive intuition which magic develops in the course of dedicated study. We are a world divorced from the superstitions of the past, and new myths are generated by those wielding media as a wand, one as powerful as the holly wood wands of ancient ceremonial magicians were rumored to have been. The Hollywood of today is the true sacred site of today's elite magician.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on December 05, 2010, 05:27:10 AM
More feasibly, we all buy 1 share in a bunch of different companies, and go to all of the shareholder meetings.

I believe they serve food, and in any event we'd have an opportunity to do the Turkey Curse.

This or some other subtle stuff, mixed in with conversion attempts