News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

I want to make sweet sweet love to this atrocity

Started by Remington, November 28, 2010, 07:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Yeah, chefs do.  But does anyone else?  They oughtta.

LMNO

Jasper

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: ϗ on November 28, 2010, 09:37:54 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on November 28, 2010, 09:12:41 PM
This idea needs development.  I've done dinners like this before, mainly as part of celebrations, but I've never made a thing of it.

The idea would be that the chef challenges themselves to do several favorite dishes as perfectly as possible.  Would that be awesome?

Except I think thats what chefs do all the time.

ha! maybe those asshole impostors on TV, but any real chef (IOW one who's trying to put 300+ dinners out in a 4 hour service window while simultaneously supervising the prep cooks, thinking of the next day's specials and what needs to be ordered, and abusing the front-of-house staff into doing their jobs semi-competently) is really just trying to not let the entire operation go down in flames. Absolute perfection all the time is a nice ideal, but it's a myth. Even cats like Joel Robuchon and Eric Ripert resort to System D every night. In fact, I suspect that their elevated positions in the profession largely stem from their proficiency in the art of the masterful shortcut, though I doubt they would ever publicly admit that. Neither would I, to anyone whose opinion of my restaurant I cared about.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2010, 08:08:25 PM
people seem to hail such culinary monstrosities as gastronomic delicacies

I would laugh at those people.

And yet, I still cooked a "Bacon Explosion", which was delicious.

But part of the awesome was also because of this:

QuoteI'd say it's more performance art than actual cooking.

I'm pretty sure that the fun me and Bo had in preparing it far outweighed the enjoyment of the other people just eating it. I would never deny that, and in fact, without having prepared ("built") it myself, I am not so sure if it would have been worth it. Although it WAS delicious. Also it didn't involve much quality meat. Except quality bacon and quality ground pork.

Quote from: ϗ on November 28, 2010, 08:42:48 PM
Come on people. We're COQUIVORES.

:lmnuendo:

BWAAAHAHAHAAHA

sorry, nobody caught that? :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Jenne

You're right-on, 000.  When my husband and I did the turbaconducken, it was more of the challenge of doing the thing than the awesomeness of the taste--which was a side benefit.  The whole thing sorta became more of a production than we liked in the end, but we had a helluva time doing it and don't regret it at all.  Our guests enjoyed it as a rarity as well as a tasty way to enjoy the "usual" turkey.

Would we be doing it again?  Probably not.  Not any time soon.  But I never saw it as a waste, either.  Very opposite--especially as there was none leftover, that I can remember anyway.