News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

THE GREAT BOOK SLAUGHTER

Started by Placid Dingo, December 05, 2010, 06:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 15, 2010, 08:23:30 PM
To give Charley the benefit of the doubt, I will gladly accept Twilight in a list of books that he likes.

I would, however, get worried if he wanted to include Twilight in the List of Best Books he has read.

Actually, I believe my reasoning grants Twilight a spot on my list of influential books...  :oops:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 15, 2010, 08:26:05 PM
To give Charley the benefit of the doubt, I will gladly accept Twilight in a list of books that he likes.

I would, however, get worried if he wanted to include Twilight in the List of Best Books he has read.

Actually, I believe my reasoning grants Twilight a spot on my list of influential books...  :oops:

Sorry to hear that.

However, if that's the standard, go to lulu.com and read the teaser for Del Gotha.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 08:36:08 PM

Sorry to hear that.

However, if that's the standard, go to lulu.com and read the teaser for Del Gotha.

I couldn't find anything by that name on Lulu.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2010, 08:44:24 PM

Sorry to hear that.

It's there.  It's the worst thing ever inflicted on the English language.  It made Queen Victoria's grave explode.  Try it as Delgotha.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 08:46:06 PM

Sorry to hear that.

It's there.  It's the worst thing ever inflicted on the English language.  It made Queen Victoria's grave explode.  Try it as Delgotha.

Holy. Fuck.

I couldn't get past the first paragraph.  I sort of hate Lulu all of a sudden.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2010, 08:50:47 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Holy. Fuck.

A bunch of us wrote reviews for it.

"THIS BOOK RUINED MY LIFE", etc.  That dingbat Nurse Mayhem went out with the loser who wrote that.

The formatting is great, btw:  Fully 1/3rd of the book's page count would be gone if it was formatted properly.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 08:53:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 15, 2010, 08:50:47 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Holy. Fuck.

A bunch of us wrote reviews for it.

"THIS BOOK RUINED MY LIFE", etc.  That dingbat Nurse Mayhem went out with the loser who wrote that.

The formatting is great, btw:  Fully 1/3rd of the book's page count would be gone if it was formatted properly.

Yeah I noticed that, it's formatted like fucking Beowulf.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Phox

Sorry to hear that.

Me too. But, the fact that Twilight actually does influence my thought process in a what-not-to-do way is undeniable.  :oops:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Delgotha is... amazing. Absolutely AMAZING.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2010, 09:04:07 AM
Delgotha is... amazing. Absolutely AMAZING.

It's the right bookend on my shelf.  The left one is The Great Gatsby.

Placid Dingo

OK, so firstly I'll just apologise if I got at all pushy. I really enjoyed the parent thread and wanted to hit the magic hundred.

In terms of what I want to do with this, I should have actually mentioned my intents there; I want this to put on my Facebook to complement/Subvert the current 'bbc list' by providing something a bit different. Also I was going to post the list at 23AE.

The 100 number is HUGELY limiting, which is what I love about it. Pratchett talks about the idea of a book being the product of the limits of its universe; if ANYTHING can happen, who cares.

I want to finish this so as long as there are people who want to play around with books, I'll keep adapting the list. I could have easily hit 100 by now, kicking off every book suggested, but there's no sense knocking off everything before the lesser known ones are looked at.

Anyway, hope that clears some stuff up. Also I love that there's a third mutation, with Phox's list, I'll post there soon.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Phox

Yeah, PD, I don't think taking a list of books and then trying to knock it off this way is going to work. If you had a positive system like, "Who thinks that the U.S. Constitution should be on this list?" And then 3 people said yea, and 5 said nay, that might be a "fairer" (read: likely to cause less arguments system).  :wink:

Placid Dingo

I've been going with if there's above 50% support, the book stays.

But yes, a new approach will be needed soon I suspect as we're kind of flatlining on the 35 - 15 zone. Which isn't bad at all really.

The issue with that kind of Y/N system is, as mentioned, there's a lot of books that we won't get 3/2 splits on because 2 or 3 people haven't even read it; there's a lot of books like that; I was super pumped when I found Hoopla had read Marabou Stork Nightmares, but I'm not even certain there'd be a third person on here who's read it.

Arguments don't bother me; it's a bit of fun. Provided we keep perspective.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Phox

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 17, 2010, 01:49:04 PM
I've been going with if there's above 50% support, the book stays.

But yes, a new approach will be needed soon I suspect as we're kind of flatlining on the 35 - 15 zone. Which isn't bad at all really.

The issue with that kind of Y/N system is, as mentioned, there's a lot of books that we won't get 3/2 splits on because 2 or 3 people haven't even read it; there's a lot of books like that; I was super pumped when I found Hoopla had read Marabou Stork Nightmares, but I'm not even certain there'd be a third person on here who's read it.

Arguments don't bother me; it's a bit of fun. Provided we keep perspective.

You list, your rules.  :)

And I will keep arguing ITT til you reach your goal.  :lulz:

Rumckle

We could just remove books at random, that would make the list more discordian too.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.