News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

I hate Christmas

Started by NWC, December 16, 2010, 06:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I grew up poor in an extremely good family environment, then spent my mid-teens semi-wealthy, then spent my early marriage poor as a damn church mouse (except I couldn't afford mice) raising kids, then became well off in the middle of the last decade.  Now I've got an enormous household, and while I'm hardly poor, times aren't as freewheeling as they were (no immediate trips around the country for the hell of it, for example, but the bills are paid).

As a result, I understand where the money comes from, but I don't stress it too much.

Nice thing, my kids understand the difference between poverty and wealth without being desperate, either.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2010, 07:44:25 PM
I grew up poor in an extremely good family environment, then spent my mid-teens semi-wealthy, then spent my early marriage poor as a damn church mouse (except I couldn't afford mice) raising kids, then became well off in the middle of the last decade.  Now I've got an enormous household, and while I'm hardly poor, times aren't as freewheeling as they were (no immediate trips around the country for the hell of it, for example, but the bills are paid).

As a result, I understand where the money comes from, but I don't stress it too much.

Nice thing, my kids understand the difference between poverty and wealth without being desperate, either.

I'm poor as dirt these days, my kids have never known anything but poverty.  However, they appreciate life for a lot more than what they can buy. 

I think it's put them in the "I'll never go hungry again" determination, but that isn't a bad thing!!!

Telarus

Many children who grow up in wealthy households learn a different lesson, tho:

Whoever has the power to pull the purse-string tight can induce 1st circuit panic in whomever they like.

I'll let that sink in for a while, and contemplate the GOP holding the nuclear arms treaty hostage for their tax cuts.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That's true, but this thread isn't about who's worse off, it's about why Nigga wit' Cetaceans' girlfriend doesn't understand his money situation. Sure, poor little rich kids can be sent into a panic at the idea of having their enormous privilege revoked, but so what?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."