News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Anti-environmentalism.

Started by Kai, December 06, 2010, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:mittens: This is something about "environmentalism" and the "sustainability movement" that really bothers me. People use certain easy outs as a way to pretend they're not vast resource-sucking black holes of destruction. Buying organic convenience foods in recycled packages. Driving Priuses. One aging environmentalist hippie we met with a couple weeks ago talks about your "environmental handprint" as opposed to your "environmental footprint"... the idea that people should measure the good things they're doing for the environment instead of focusing on the bad. It wasn't my meeting, I was just along for the ride, so I refrained from saying "THIS IS DELUSIONAL BULLSHIT!"

There are things we CAN do to slightly reduce our individual footprints. Buying locally in bulk, avoiding prepackaged foods, avoiding driving, avoiding non-durable consumer goods, minimizing energy use, paying extra for wind power... All of these things can have a (fairly trivial) reduction in our overall impact. They are still worth doing, but the real problem is that industrial society is revoltingly consumptive, our entire economy is BASED on consumption, and we are so horrified at the idea that we  might have to pay a dollar more for something that we would rather turn our heads away from the environmental damage we're doing than actually examine it and take measures to prevent it. We CAN'T prevent it without our economy collapsing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2010, 09:48:21 PM
Quote from: ϗ on December 06, 2010, 09:40:18 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2010, 09:31:05 PM
Quote from: ϗ on December 06, 2010, 02:59:17 PM
and you can actually eat fish out of Lake Eire now.

I wouldn't.  Not anymore.  Things changed in 2003/2004.  They're busy dumping any old shit back in Erie.

Great.

Nixon fixed shit.

Bush decided to fix it betterer.

Nixon was the last great President.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

Yep, even if he was a spoiled brat. All down hill from there. Regan destroyed the Republicans, the best thing Bush41 did (iirc) was puke on someone's lap...
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hover Cat on December 06, 2010, 11:32:19 PM
Yep, even if he was a spoiled brat. All down hill from there. Regan destroyed the Republicans, the best thing Bush41 did (iirc) was puke on someone's lap...

"Spoiled brat"? Do you know anything about him at all? He was a great progressive with impressive resolve and a remarkable willingness to throw his political career under a bus in order to do what he believed was right for the American people. He was a good President at a very bad time for the country, and was backed into an inescapable corner with the formation of the Federal Reserve, which he absolutely did not want, and I think it took a huge toll on his mental health.

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on December 06, 2010, 10:01:40 PM
:mittens: This is something about "environmentalism" and the "sustainability movement" that really bothers me. People use certain easy outs as a way to pretend they're not vast resource-sucking black holes of destruction. Buying organic convenience foods in recycled packages. Driving Priuses. One aging environmentalist hippie we met with a couple weeks ago talks about your "environmental handprint" as opposed to your "environmental footprint"... the idea that people should measure the good things they're doing for the environment instead of focusing on the bad. It wasn't my meeting, I was just along for the ride, so I refrained from saying "THIS IS DELUSIONAL BULLSHIT!"

There are things we CAN do to slightly reduce our individual footprints. Buying locally in bulk, avoiding prepackaged foods, avoiding driving, avoiding non-durable consumer goods, minimizing energy use, paying extra for wind power... All of these things can have a (fairly trivial) reduction in our overall impact. They are still worth doing, but the real problem is that industrial society is revoltingly consumptive, our entire economy is BASED on consumption, and we are so horrified at the idea that we  might have to pay a dollar more for something that we would rather turn our heads away from the environmental damage we're doing than actually examine it and take measures to prevent it. We CAN'T prevent it without our economy collapsing.

And I want to make it clear, I'm NOT saying DON'T do the trivial things. If society was done right, we'd be doing the trivial things. We'd also be doing a hell of a lot of different shit, but we would still retain those parts that are trivial and token to our current crisis but just part of ordinary life in better times.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Richter

Right on man.  People who would bitch about their "Carbon footprint" were in the same book as various flavors of "born again" in my consideration.  (Thankfully I haven't heard that BS, including the pedlding of "carbon offsets" in about a year.  Hope it dried up and blew away.)

"Environmentalism" turned into another industry that makes money of of making people feel guilty. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cain

"Environmentalism" as it currently stands is nothing more than a method for the upper middle classes to relieve their guilt about their consumption and lifestyles through token gestures of "being green" and act superior to lower socio-economic groups - who frequently cannot afford the lifestyle many self-proclaimed environmentalists have (eating organic food, gas-powered cars, attempting to be carbon neutral etc) yet, simply, by not having as much disposable income, probably do less damage to the environment in the long run.  It's not like children living in the slums in Mombasa are driving the demand for Congo cobalt resources used in most hi-tech pieces of equipment ,after all (not only causing environmental damage via horrendous mining practices, but also helping to fund the world's longest ongoing war, which causes more...you guessed it).  Its the idiots posting on Facebook about how we have to be "environmentally conscious" in one status update, and bragging about their iPhone in the next.

The Johnny

Its also very narcissistic to think that if i plant a tree and recycle, im gonna turn the tide in ecology's favor, while toxic waste from a single chemicals plant makes in an hour.

You cant make change at the individual scale, change has to be institutionalized.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Juana

Quote from: Nigel on December 07, 2010, 12:26:00 AM

"Spoiled brat"? Do you know anything about him at all? He was a great progressive with impressive resolve and a remarkable willingness to throw his political career under a bus in order to do what he believed was right for the American people. He was a good President at a very bad time for the country, and was backed into an inescapable corner with the formation of the Federal Reserve, which he absolutely did not want, and I think it took a huge toll on his mental health.
I was referring to his personality. I know what he did and I generally respect him for it, but he was bratty and a bit of a slimy bastard.

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on December 08, 2010, 07:18:53 AM

Its also very narcissistic to think that if i plant a tree and recycle, im gonna turn the tide in ecology's favor, while toxic waste from a single chemicals plant makes in an hour.

You cant make change at the individual scale, change has to be institutionalized.
This is where I kiiiiind of disagree. Yes, the environmental movement is essentially slacktivism, but little things do add up and buying organic, using less plastic and recycling what you do use are useful things. It just shouldn't be all you do, imo.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Kai

Quote from: Hover Cat on December 08, 2010, 07:11:57 PM

I was referring to his personality. I know what he did and I generally respect him for it, but he was bratty and a bit of a slimy bastard.

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on December 08, 2010, 07:18:53 AM

This is where I kiiiiind of disagree. Yes, the environmental movement is essentially slacktivism, but little things do add up and buying organic, using less plastic and recycling what you do use are useful things. It just shouldn't be all you do, imo.

Useful =/= the efficient way to stability. Or even A way.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Juana

I neglected to read a prior post you made, which more or less covered my thoughts.  :oops: My bad. So feel free to ignore that part of the post...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I didn't know you knew him personally. I'm impressed. Most of his contemporaries who knew him describe him as intense but shy, painfully insecure, and coping with public life through a rigidly-constructed persona. It sounds like you knew him well enough to see a different side of him, though, so I'll take your word for it.

Juana

Quote from: Nigel on December 09, 2010, 03:18:44 AM

I didn't know you knew him personally. I'm impressed. Most of his contemporaries who knew him describe him as intense but shy, painfully insecure, and coping with public life through a rigidly-constructed persona. It sounds like you knew him well enough to see a different side of him, though, so I'll take your word for it.
Oh for Pete's sake. Let me rephrase it then: if you listen to some of conversations he had on tape, he comes off as very bratty. Watch The Most Dangerous Man in America, for example. He seemed to be personally offended by Daniel Ellsberg's leaking of the Pentagon papers.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I guess if "Increasingly mentally ill" = "bratty".

Juana

I was unaware of that. The more you know, I suppose.