News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

DM/Player Ownage

Started by Don Coyote, December 03, 2010, 09:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 03, 2010, 11:51:34 PM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

My group can't just BEAT the monsters, they have to do horrible shit to them.

One recurring villain in my campaign was last known as "The one-armed, one-legged, one-eyed vampire named Raoul."  Don't ask.

The fuckers pushed his wheelchair down the stairs to level 5.  :tgrr:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 03, 2010, 11:53:39 PM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

One recurring villain in my campaign was last known as "The one-armed, one-legged, one-eyed vampire named Raoul."  Don't ask.

I have to.

WHY?!?!?!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Coyote on December 03, 2010, 11:55:42 PM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

I have to.

WHY?!?!?!

He only had one leg.

Or do you mean why did they shove him down the stairs?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 04, 2010, 12:07:40 AM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

I have to.

WHY?!?!?!

He only had one leg.

that and why did you make a one legged vampire.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Sir Coyote on December 04, 2010, 12:17:39 AM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

I have to.

WHY?!?!?!

He only had one leg.

I think he just made a vampire, and the players made him one-legged, if I'm reading Roger correctly.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 03, 2010, 09:46:33 PM
It seems that damn near every DM in the world has a problem with one class or another, and feels the need to nerf-bat or "improve" it.

House ruling I get (as long as its up front and not midway through the third session), but why the hell would you house rule a class?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 04, 2010, 04:21:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 03, 2010, 09:46:33 PM
It seems that damn near every DM in the world has a problem with one class or another, and feels the need to nerf-bat or "improve" it.

House ruling I get (as long as its up front and not midway through the third session), but why the hell would you house rule a class?

"Because Clerics/Druids are overpowered and Wizards are too squishy and no one but the retarded kid are playing warriors and my favorite class is rogues."

Requia ☣

So?  Really, what the hell does it add to the game if the classes are more balanced.  Either you have a game like Roger's, and people will take the best classes, or you have a game where combat isn't central, and it doesn't matter.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: Cainad on December 03, 2010, 10:30:57 PM
That's why I made a Transmuter, and he was my favorite character I've yet played. It's powergaming, but the kind of powergaming where I have to get creative with it. Fly, Disintegrate, and spamming Dispel Magic are where it's at, with the occasional Cone of Cold thrown in when you've decided to finish 'em off.

I am inclined to disagree with you, good sir. Wizrads are there to make go BOOM. Obviously, every spell can't be go BOOM, but I don't understand why take the class at all otherwise.

Area of Effect Spells for the motherfucking win.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 04, 2010, 04:32:45 AM
So?  Really, what the hell does it add to the game if the classes are more balanced.  Either you have a game like Roger's, and people will take the best classes, or you have a game where combat isn't central, and it doesn't matter.

I feel the same way.

Kurt Christ

In games which feature a lot of combat, but in which the players still want to play their preferred character archetypes, it detracts from the fun for one party member to be the only one that does anything every encounter. Hence, you rebalanced to make it so that the classes are equally useful so that people can play their favorite class without being rendered irrelevant. It's not that important if you approach from a purely gameply scenario (everyone will choose the best class for enjoyment of encounters) or a purely roleplay scenario (everyone will choose classes that reflect the character they wish to portray) but these are role-play games, and there is a middle ground, and too much class imbalance can ruin the fun there.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Don Coyote

Going back to MMOs, players frequently claim that one class is overpowered, usually one they don't play, and another class is underpowered, usually one they play, when the apparent differences between the classes' powerlevels is essentially a 'learn to play and stfu noob' issue. On the small scale of tabletop games, when you aren't usually directly competing against characters played by other people(not counting the DM) the OPness or UPness of the classes it not as apparent.

Triple Zero

that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

Really nice touch on making the monsters run away from a chicken. A lesser DM would have made them fight anyway.

QuoteOne recurring villain in my campaign was last known as "The one-armed, one-legged, one-eyed vampire named Raoul."  Don't ask.

This is the shit that makes me want to start D&D again. :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Coyote on December 04, 2010, 12:17:39 AM
that was brilliant.

I live in hell.

I have to.

WHY?!?!?!

He only had one leg.

I didn't.  I made a suave, dapper REGULAR vampire as a recurring villain, and over the course of 5 game sessions, they had his eye out, whacked off two of his limbs, and then pushed his wheelchair down the stairs because it was funnier than staking him.

They had a trollbane that prevented regen, and they kept nailing him with crits.  Everything I drew off of the crit deck was a friggin' permanent.

The Good Reverend Roger

There are no "best classes" in pathfinder, at least the original core classes.  Even the bard doesn't suck anymore.

The new classes in the APG need some work, though.