News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Slow Time in Fat City, part 9: The Last Investigative Journalist

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 08, 2010, 05:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I have to say that Julian Assange is currently one of my heroes...Not just because he managed to piss off just about every major power on Earth and then ran like a mad bastard, but because he's a journalist.  A real, live, honest-to-God journalist, doing what journalists are supposed to do.

The purpose of a journalist isn't to entertain you.  That's what gossip columnists and politicians are for.  No, the purpose of a reporter/editor is to drag the Horrible Truth out into the daylight, to see which parts wiggle.  If that's a problem or an embarrassment for the United States and her vassals, then maybe they need to stop doing the sort of shit they will be embarrassed by the public knowledge thereof.

Julian Assange and his crew found the Truth, and they bellowed it from the rooftops.  Ironically enough, nobody would have cared, if the governments involved didn't get so butthurt about it.

The result, of course, was the charges against him.  Very clumsy, though.  Most people are going to sympathize with a guy who gets laid with two Swedes at once, only to have the two women change their mind later, making it look like "retroactive rape".  I'm rather surprised they didn't paint him as a kiddie-fiddler and been done with it...But they didn't, and they botched the smear, and rather than discredit him, they've simply added to the Streisand Effect caused by the above mentioned butthurt.

This all makes you ask yourself how YOU will be treated by your government, given that they have not only abandoned their principles, but actively persecute those that haven't, branding them dangerous radicals, etc.

We have the choice of the voice of Athens, and the voice of Melos.  Both are wrong, and most people aren't willing to listen to anyone else, in this case the voice of Socrates.

Or Kill Me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2010, 05:42:20 PM
I have to say that Julian Assange is currently one of my heroes...Not just because he managed to piss off just about every major power on Earth and then ran like a mad bastard, but because he's a journalist.  A real, live, honest-to-God journalist, doing what journalists are supposed to do.

The purpose of a journalist isn't to entertain you.  That's what gossip columnists and politicians are for.  No, the purpose of a reporter/editor is to drag the Horrible Truth out into the daylight, to see which parts wiggle.  If that's a problem or an embarrassment for the United States and her vassals, then maybe they need to stop doing the sort of shit they will be embarrassed by the public knowledge thereof.

Julian Assange and his crew found the Truth, and they bellowed it from the rooftops.  Ironically enough, nobody would have cared, if the governments involved didn't get so butthurt about it.

The result, of course, was the charges against him.  Very clumsy, though.  Most people are going to sympathize with a guy who gets laid with two Swedes at once, only to have the two women change their mind later, making it look like "retroactive rape".  I'm rather surprised they didn't paint him as a kiddie-fiddler and been done with it...But they didn't, and they botched the smear, and rather than discredit him, they've simply added to the Streisand Effect caused by the above mentioned butthurt.

This all makes you ask yourself how YOU will be treated by your government, given that they have not only abandoned their principles, but actively persecute those that haven't, branding them dangerous radicals, etc.

We have the choice of the voice of Athens, and the voice of Melos.  Both are wrong, and most people aren't willing to listen to anyone else, in this case the voice of Socrates.

Or Kill Me.
Love this, and I'm in total agreement. In MW, most people can't decide whether Assange is a Traitor, a Spy, an Anarchist, or a shameless attention Whore. But you nailed it Rog, he a fucking JOURNALIST!  And by being a Journalist, he shows up the rest of the Worlds Press for the spineless, frightened arsekissers they really are!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on December 08, 2010, 06:30:42 PM
Love this, and I'm in total agreement. In MW, most people can't decide whether Assange is a Traitor, a Spy, an Anarchist, or a shameless attention Whore. But you nailed it Rog, he a fucking JOURNALIST!  And by being a Journalist, he shows up the rest of the Worlds Press for the spineless, frightened arsekissers they really are!

And as the leader of the only actual journalists left, he's the most dangerous man on Earth.  It's small wonder that lickspittles like Memnoch and Terra Mater hate his guts.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

Excellent stuff, Roger. Wish more people were like him 'cause we need more of them and more muckrakers.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 08, 2010, 06:22:50 PM
Journalists need to do more Monstering, a la Spider J.

This.

Assange, incidentally, just monstered the world, albeit mildly.

MISTER SWEENEY!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hover Cat on December 08, 2010, 06:38:58 PM
Excellent stuff, Roger. Wish more people were like him 'cause we need more of them and more muckrakers.

This is precisely why they are going to make a very public example of him.

Whatever

Damn Roger this is great!  You nailed it!

You know that this proves what you've told us all along, they don't want us to know the truth and they will destroy all of those who tell it.  I doubt if he will survive this.

:mittens:

Adios

He's a fucking hero of the first order. Sadly, being a hero is usually accompanied by being dead.

The Wizard

QuoteHe's a fucking hero of the first order. Sadly, being a hero is usually accompanied by being dead.

But he's started something. The kind of thing that continues after one dies. Killing him would be playing right into his hands.
Insanity we trust.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on December 08, 2010, 08:40:40 PM
QuoteHe's a fucking hero of the first order. Sadly, being a hero is usually accompanied by being dead.

But he's started something. The kind of thing that continues after one dies. Killing him would be playing right into his hands.

THIS.

Up to this point governments tended to worry about the enemy getting at information... worry about spies SELLING information, defecting with information... but giving it away to the public for free with no personal agenda. That's a whole new threat.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Don Coyote

Requia ☣

Open a newspaper, there is less and less difference between the two every day.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.