News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Westboro Baptist will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral

Started by Adios, December 09, 2010, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church announced Thursday plans to picket Saturday's funeral for Elizabeth Edwards in Raleigh, North Carolina. The Kansas-based Church - monitored by anti-hate groups such as the Anti-Defamation league and the Southern Poverty Law Center - is known for its extremist opposition to homosexuals, Jews and other groups.

The church members also oppose the War in Iraq.
According to the church's website, members will hold a protest from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m.
Edwards, the estranged wife of presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a six-year battle with breast cancer.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...uneral/?hpt=T2

I am not surprised.

hooplala

They have every right to picket. 

They're scumbags, but they have the right.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Adios

Precious Moments Zalgo

Yeah.  I absolutely hate what they do, but not as much as I would hate attempts to deprive them of their right to do it.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Suu

On what grounds are they picketing? Just because the brass will be there and they will make asses of themselves with signs as usual?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

Because she used a fertility doctor to conceive her last two children.

Phox

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 09, 2010, 06:51:35 PM
Because she used a fertility doctor to conceive her last two children.

Okay.  :lol:  They're not only assholes but class-A idiots.  They CLEARLY have no real agenda and have given up pretending they don't just want to be mediawhores.  Stupidest reason to picket some poor woman's funeral, evar.  Not that they need to have great ones with such a heinous act, but now they're just being lazy.

AFK

Well of course they are going to picket her funeral.  They're Morons.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Whatever

I will be surprised if they are allowed.  The last funeral here they tried to picket, they ended up a couple of miles away from the actual cemetary before they could get to "public property".  The police kept making them move as the cemetary, funeral home and surrounding areas were privately owned. 

I really hate the WBC people.  Yes, they are within their rights and by no means do I want those rights violated, however, just because they can, doesn't mean they should. 

BadBeast

A proper Funeral protest, was when someone dug up Oliver Cromwell's body, and put his head on a spike outside the Houses of Parliament, where it remained for many years. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on December 10, 2010, 04:28:15 AM
A proper Funeral protest, was when someone dug up Oliver Cromwell's body, and put his head on a spike outside the Houses of Parliament, where it remained for many years. 

It was a great day for both England and Ireland.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

One of the things that's truly amazing about WBC is the amount of hate directed at them. You could have a Marxist and a Libertarian joining up to shout them down. I saw one of them show up on Fox News once. They fucking hated her, and it wasn't just because of them being unpatriotic. They were getting really worked up over them.

They're abhorrent little fuckers, but as long as they remain abhorrent, at least the American public has SOME sense.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

Indeed. IIRC, one of the more recent pickets, a bunch of people who opposed the picketing placed themselves between the WBC assholes and the funeral. Best way to deal with them, ever. Community support for the family and prevented the funeral (mostly) from being marred by their presence.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

I hope something like that happens at Ewards's funeral - people placing themselves between the WBC people and the funeral proper. I dunno if it will, but it would be nice.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."