News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

ELDER SCROLLS V

Started by Cramulus, December 12, 2010, 07:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

The one that really sucked though was that one that allowed you to jump 3 miles into the air but didn't arm you with a parachute. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on June 28, 2011, 01:40:46 PM
The one that really sucked though was that one that allowed you to jump 3 miles into the air but didn't arm you with a parachute. 

That's why you needed to get a slowfall spell or potion before you used it. 

Was funny seeing the guy you got them from land.  Easy to miss it if you're not looking for it though.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 27, 2011, 01:49:32 AM
Morrowind was awesome.
I find it didn't age as well as Oblivion, probably due to the combat is a little lackluster, but I remember having way more fun at the time with Morrowind then with Oblivion.
The music is better too - and even with the lesser graphics the game had more of a serene somber feel then Oblivion.

Yeah, the combat is more than a little simple - get it in the crosshairs and hit that attack button like a crazy bastard - but in some ways I kinda like that.  And yes, the music is pretty amazing.

Quote from: Jasper on June 27, 2011, 11:41:14 PM
Morrowind was great because it felt like a place.  Not being able to travel conveniently, the complete and total lack of automatically generated landscapes, and the absurd level of back story, depth, and random cultural stuff (BOOKSBOOKSBOOKS) forced you to appreciate it as a place.  In Oblivion, the land is just stuff that happens in between quests, and if you've seen one wilderness, you've seen them all. 

If I one day hiked across Washington, doing odd jobs, fighting off PTERODACTYLS, and reading every book I could find, I'd feel like I was having a proper There And Back Again adventure, Morrowind style.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if you read every book in Morrowind, it added up to something like 3.5 novels.  Which is an achievement in and of itself (I'd like to see a wordcount on the DAO Codex though - that's pretty damn large in size too).

Also, I never found it that hard to get around in Morrowind.  Sure, finding some places are hard (I'm looking at you, Telvanni mages who haven't paid their guild dues), but with the Mage's Guild membership, scrolls of Mark and Recall and Amulet's of Divine and Almisivi Intervention, oh and the Silt Strider and boats, you can usually fall within half an hour's walk of where you need to go.  I think it was more of a case of the game providing the possibility of getting around lots of unnecessary walking, if you wanted, but you had to work at it a little and understand the game mechanics.  Plus if you opted for the cheap option, you could loot bandit caves and ancesteral tombs along the way.

In that sense, I think the Oblivion game mechanics represent an unnecessary dumbing down.

Cain

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 28, 2011, 02:13:20 PM

Was funny seeing the guy you got them from land.  Easy to miss it if you're not looking for it though.

And if you had Light Armour as a major skill, you could pick up armour that was 60% as good as Glass Amour within the first week of play, so long as you had Tribunal installed.

In fact, I made a fortune off selling Dark Brotherhood light armour to Creeper. 

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on June 28, 2011, 03:57:51 PM

And if you had Light Armour as a major skill, you could pick up armour that was 60% as good as Glass Amour within the first week of play, so long as you had Tribunal installed.

One of the earliest things I'd do in any play through, after joining the thieves guild, is make my way to the ghost gate (pain in the ass at early levels but worth it) and steal all of the glass equipment from the tower of dusk, then go pay off the bounty.

Man, now I want to play it again. 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

I'm earning my glass armour the legit way - killing people and bribing bandits for House Hlaalu.  You can get a curaiss and greaves just for completing the Balmora-based House quests.

Captain Swampass

Quote from: Disco Pickle on June 28, 2011, 04:21:37 PM
Quote from: Cain on June 28, 2011, 03:57:51 PM

One of the earliest things I'd do in any play through, after joining the thieves guild, is make my way to the ghost gate (pain in the ass at early levels but worth it) and steal all of the glass equipment from the tower of dusk, then go pay off the bounty.

Man, now I want to play it again. 

... Pay off the bounty? Where the hell would you get the money to do that? Personally I find robbing the vaults to be a great way to get it, or taunting Buoyant Armigers.

Cain

I thought you got significant discounts, depending on your rank in the Thieves Guild.  Plus if you can steal glass amour, why not steal the money to pay off the bounty?  Or things to sell to pay off the bounty, at least.

AFK

I'd try to make some bank by going into houses, buildings, etc., and stealing all of the potion/magic making paraphernalia.  Some of that stuff could get you some good bank.  though some of it was really heavy too so it wasn't an easy thing to do until you've leveled up a bit. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Thurnez Isa

In Oblivion I would break into peoples houses and watch people sleep

:eek:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on June 29, 2011, 11:16:46 PM
In Oblivion I would break into peoples houses and watch people sleep

:eek:

Then initiate conversation and run!

They find you two days later, sneaking in a dungeon. "Hello, how may I help you?"

Cain

Quote from: R.W.H.N. on June 28, 2011, 06:14:05 PM
I'd try to make some bank by going into houses, buildings, etc., and stealing all of the potion/magic making paraphernalia.  Some of that stuff could get you some good bank.  though some of it was really heavy too so it wasn't an easy thing to do until you've leveled up a bit. 

Absolutely.  With membership in the Mages Guild and 8 gold, you could teleport to Caldera, and in the top room (unoccupied) of their mages' guild is a Master Alchemist set, with all the additional equipment to make some badass potions.  So long as you make out like a kleptomaniac from when you arrive in Seyda Neen, stealing alchemical components from all over the place, you can make some serious cash.

Then again, I never left Seyda Neen without at least 1000 gold in my pockets anyway, and I'm normally playing an Imperial with a Personality of 75 at level one, so money has never presented a significant issue to me.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2010, 01:40:45 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on December 13, 2010, 08:38:57 AM
Yeah, although there are mods you can get that incorporate more satisfying leveling.  And better encounters.

And mile high floating wizard houses.  :lol:

The modding community make everything better.  Everything.   I want to nominate modders for Time Person of the Year.

I bet everyone would vote for them, and the Time would go and pick Bobby fucking Kotick instead.