News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

ELDER SCROLLS V

Started by Cramulus, December 12, 2010, 07:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on December 26, 2010, 06:02:06 PM
Cram, you really need to read The Malazan Books of the Fallen, btw.  It's so different from generic fantasy (the only real similarities seem to be the Titse races = elves, but even then, they're more like Tolkein's elves, tragic yet insanely powerful immortal beings, than most generic settings.  As for the Jaghut...well, they may look like orcs, but they sure dont act like them).

I may write up a review, since the last book is coming out next month.  Well, the last book of that series anyway, I understand he is contracted to write another, and the co-creator of the Universe has his own series currently ongoing.

Fuji, I preferred Raalen Hlaalo's house.  Mainly as his corpse makes for a great permament container, and he has plenty of shelf space.  And I killed his murderer as a favour to House Hlaalu, so I figure I deserve the joint.  As for the assassins....as a member of the Mages' Guild, a trip to Caldera only costs 8gp.  Taking three sets of full Dark Brotherhood armour to Creeper, who pays full market price for such items, and keeps 5000gp in the store at any one time...oh yeah, now that's what I call a high profit business.

I thought the Jaghut were giants? 

Regardless, I need to go back to reading that.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Well, they're taller and broader than humans, it's true, but with the tusked lower jaws and grey-green skin, they seem closer to traditional orcs than giants, in appearance.  I had them around the same height as Thelomen Toblakai in my mind, so 7-8 feet, maybe a little larger.

Jasper

Okay, so I just offhandedly mentioned it earlier but I've had more of a chance to play it now.

Oblivion players, you absolutely MUST try Nehrim.  Better UI, MUCH better dungeons, original (fucking huge) world and story, and the reinstatement of experience points.

http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html

Cain

Bah, XP.  I actually like the logic behind the TES levelling up system, since I cannot concieve of any possible world where carrying out 50 billion minor courier jobs will result in me being able to stop time, summon elemental princes or go toe-to-toe with a dragon, yet it can apparently happen. 

It does need tweaking, of course, but what doesn't?

Fujikoma

What about splitting XP into different catagories, like, you might be a level 10 courier, but you can forget competently swinging that battle axe competently until you maliciously slaughter every stray dog in the city 40 times over?

Jasper

Well-

It's not as simple as that.  They have you earn XP to earn learning points, then you get to go to trainers who will raise your skill for money.

And the encounters aren't leveled in it.  Sometimes you just have to get good at running from giant spiders.

Cain

Yeah, I read some of the documentation after posting that, and the levelling system doesn't seem quite so bad.  I still think the straight XP route sucks balls though.

Jasper

It is pretty unrealistic.  

But then, so are HP.  (But too much realism in that area would mean most characters would die in shock before getting a chance to do anything very heroic. :lol:)

Cain

Yeah true.

Incidentally, it occurs to me a full conversion of Morrowind or Oblivion would be the perfect base for a game based on the Malazan series.  With a few tweaks for the Warrens and some of the unique creatures.  And more spells.

Cain

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

If I didn't think that would destroy my pathetic graphics card, as it probably would, I'd download that shit right now.

Jasper

Going to try that out, soon as I can dig up my copy of Morrowind.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

And then I decided that, sure, maybe I am ready for another Bethesda RPG.