News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

ddate: linux systems infiltrated by conservative discordians!!!

Started by bugmenоt, December 14, 2010, 10:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmenоt

The program "ddate" converts gregorian date into discordian date which is described in the principia discordia. The output looks like this:
"Today is Pungenday, the 56th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3176"

That piece of software is installed on every default installation of any ubuntu version and many debian systems. The manpage links to subgenius.com.
The ubuntu repositories also contain programs called "hdate" and "itools" for hebrew and muslim calendars, but contrary to ddate, they both have to be installed manually.

So dear people living in muslim/jewish zones, please strengthen your open source communities, or else debian will have to quit support for your keyboard layouts, language support and time zone. Thanks in advance.

NWC

Quote from: http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/ddate1.htmlEmperor Norton Utilities

:lulz:

I don't (yet) see a clear way to activate it though, I'm on the newest release of Ubuntu.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

bugmenоt

by "activate" you mean start?
open terminal, type ddate
as you see in the manpage there's a load of options too.

or you mean using ddate as default? i've never heard of something more useless.

Cain

bugmenоt

Did you know that if you read something you already knew, one option is not commenting on it?

NWC

Quote from: Weltbürger (NSFW) on December 14, 2010, 11:11:42 AM

yeah I wanted to see if there was an option to put it as default, though of course I wouldn't keep it. Was just out of curiosity.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Cain

Quote from: Weltbürger (NSFW) on December 14, 2010, 11:15:54 AM
Did you know that if you read something you already knew, one option is not commenting on it?

Did you know complaining just makes me more likely to up the ante?

HEY GUYZ, HAS ANYONE HEARD THE BREAKING NEWS?  RAW IS DEAD!

bugmenоt

Quote from: Cain on December 14, 2010, 11:43:33 AM

Did you know complaining just makes me more likely to up the ante?

Of course. Upping the ante often doesn't make sense until someone reacts. This seems to be how a dialogue works. It was nice to dialogue with you.
We should have a tagging system for this board though, where every sentence can be marked as "Cain already knows this".

Cain

Sorry, but after the last six months, you dont get to pretend to be reasonable now.

HEY EVERYONE, I READ THIS REALLY COOL BOOK I BET YOU NEVER HEARD OF.  IT'S CALLED "ILLUMINATUS!"

Precious Moments Zalgo

There are some mild lulz to be found in a bug report filed by someone wanting it made so that ddate is not installed by default.

Quote from: bug reporterThe ddate utility supports the printing of Discordian dates, as used by the (apparently fictional) Church of the SubGenius. People with more traditional moral values might not appreciate a reference to or advertisement for this movement being present on their system.

Quote from: developerI personally use ddate, I use it in some scripts, I know other people do the same, and I know some Debian developers would be annoyed if ddate was removed. There are even programs that use ddate, e.g. freecraft and the games that use its engine.

I will be very sad if Debian can't include ddate because an imaginary user with "traditional moral values" means more than real users.

Quote from: util-linux package maintainerwontfix
--

ddate is staying
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

BadBeast

Quote from: Cain on December 14, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
Sorry, but after the last six months, you dont get to pretend to be reasonable now.

HEY EVERYONE, I READ THIS REALLY COOL BOOK I BET YOU NEVER HEARD OF.  IT'S CALLED "ILLUMINATUS!"
Isn't that that Conspiracy theory thing by Dan Brown?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

AFK

FUCK YOU MY MOM DIED READING BORING USELESS TRIVIA!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

Quote from: Weltbürger (NSFW) on December 14, 2010, 11:11:42 AM

I can think of at least one thing more useless. Welty.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

bugmenоt

:lulz:
I loled at the picture. i guess it was your idea, badbeast.

because there just has to be one joke in your posts which wasn't served you on a silver tablet. you're a humorous guy. there must be a filter in your head which prevents you from posting every dump your brain has taken. but i'd understand if you said it was shut down temporarily.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson