News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Greasing the pasta

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 15, 2010, 02:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Most of my sauces are not fat-based but most do contain some fat in the form of cream or meat.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, but that won't overcome the water-solubility. but like I said, if the kids dig it then it's really just a minor point of science and snobbery.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Still doesn't explain how her mostly-water-based sauces still stick to animal-fat-greased pasta, though. Unless the effect is minimal, and it sticks just a littlebit less, but not enough to be a problem.

What I wonder is why grease the pasta at all, and not just add the extra fat to the pasta-sauce right away? Does that make a difference to the taste, Nigel?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Probably so she can make a vat of us that the kids can attack and not worry about it congealing into a lumpy mess they may not be able to control.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

my understanding is that Nigel's kids will all eat the noodles but all have different sauces that they will or won't eat with those noodles, so oiling the noodles allows her to hold them warm and portion them out without them sticking together in unappealing clumps.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes.

Here's how it works. I make a nice sauce and a pot of noodles. One kid wants sauce. One kid is still at Starbucks with her friends. One kid just wants cheese. Boyfriend is still in Clackamas teaching a class. Greasing the noodles means that instead of standing in the kitchen making batch after batch of fresh noodles, I can serve myself and whoever else is there/ready and then get back to what I was doing, leaving the rest of the noodles in the pot ready to serve without cooling into a repulsive, inedible congealed mass. They can also easily be warmed up for seconds.

One difference between my kitchen and a restaurant is that I don't have a line cook and I sure as fuck am not going to be one.

Animal fat does have a distinctly different viscosity than vegetable fat, so that probably helps. I especially notice the difference with heavily sausagey sauces and cream-based sauces like the fish sauce the kids love so much.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't use vegetable oil on pasta partly because I don't like what it does to the sauce and partly because I can't stand the taste. I dislike vegetable oil in most applications, actually. It's pretty gross. Cold-pressed seed and nut oils are OK for certain things, but for the most part, it's lard or GTFO. I get a huge pot of it every year when the Darrels do their annual pig roast; they give me the carcass for stewing and rendering, and I end up stocking my freezer with gallons of the best broth in the world and pounds of deliciously smoky lard.

East Coast Hustle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Totally. It cannot be replaced with ANYTHING. It's well worth roasting a young hog once a year for no other reason, IMO.