News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Breakthrough in HIV treatment.

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, December 15, 2010, 03:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 16, 2010, 04:23:56 PM
Quote from: Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster on December 16, 2010, 02:41:51 PM
In both of these cases, the stem cells involved were adult stem cells.  All of the fundies I know are in favor of adult stem cell research, mainly because they like to cite those breakthroughs as proof that we don't need to do any embryonic stem cell research.

Completely missing the point of "I'm aborting this embryo anyway. Why don't we just make some good out of this?"

A lot of the stem cell research was also done on frozen embryos created in test tubes for fertilization procedures. The idiots presume that any sperm/egg combo = a baby and any destruction of it = abortion.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Nephew Twiddleton

Good point- and a lot of those sperm ova combos would go to waste anyway.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bruno

Aren't those embryonic cells still capable of becoming a baby?
Formerly something else...

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on December 17, 2010, 02:37:33 AM

Yes, just as capable as any sperm cell your average male shoots into a sock, towel, willing partner's non reproducing orifice or shower drain. THe fact is is that if you go to a fertility clinic you get a bunch of fertilized eggs, one of which you use per pregnancy. The majority of those fertilized eggs are going to get chucked because they're not needed. Now, explain this to a fundy going to a fertility clinic because he and his missus are having trouble getting the job done.

Bruno

I'm just imagining a scenario where some fundie husband and wife "rescue" one of these poor "victims" by purchasing some of these cells, and having them implanted in the wife's uterus.

How many babies does each cell line represent, anyway? Couldn't you produce a clone army from them if you wanted to?

This, of course, probably only applies to embryonic stem cells.

Probably.

As far as I know.

Which isn't far, really.
Formerly something else...

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on December 17, 2010, 05:41:31 AM
I'm just imagining a scenario where some fundie husband and wife "rescue" one of these poor "victims" by purchasing some of these cells, and having them implanted in the wife's uterus.

How many babies does each cell line represent, anyway? Couldn't you produce a clone army from them if you wanted to?

This, of course, probably only applies to embryonic stem cells.

Probably.

As far as I know.

Which isn't far, really.

ASide from the fact that numerous attempts are needed to creat a clone, it would be ideal to clone a human from an embryo, as the length of the telomeres would give it normal human life span. Cloned animals die young because they are cloned from older cells. Example, if you clone a 10 year old sheep, the lamb, despite being a lamb, is actually middle aged on a cellular level, and will have a projected sheep lifespan of average minus approximately ten years.

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 17, 2010, 05:05:16 AM

Yes, just as capable as any sperm cell your average male shoots into a sock, towel, willing partner's non reproducing orifice or shower drain. THe fact is is that if you go to a fertility clinic you get a bunch of fertilized eggs, one of which you use per pregnancy. The majority of those fertilized eggs are going to get chucked because they're not needed. Now, explain this to a fundy going to a fertility clinic because he and his missus are having trouble getting the job done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_baby

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 17, 2010, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 17, 2010, 05:05:16 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_baby

Damn. Well I guess I admire their dedication.