News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Over 6,000 Earmarks...

Started by Adios, December 15, 2010, 04:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

The $1.2 trillion bill, released on Tuesday, includes more than 6,000 earmarks totaling $8 billion, an amount that many lawmakers decried as an irresponsible binge following a midterm election in which many voters demanded that the government cut spending.

"The American people said just 42 days ago, 'Enough!' . . . Are we tone deaf? Are we stricken with amnesia?" Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a leading earmark critic, said on the Senate floor, flipping through the 1,924-page bill as he pounded his desk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/14/AR2010121405271.html

Hypocrisy has its finest moment.

Jenne

The thing is, most tax payers want the pork barrels to empty in the legislative arena, UNTIL IT COMES TO THEIR STATE, and then they're kinda toeing the ground, all aw-shucks-like, wanting their cut of the pie.

Adios

Quote from: Jenne on December 15, 2010, 05:06:55 PM
The thing is, most tax payers want the pork barrels to empty in the legislative arena, UNTIL IT COMES TO THEIR STATE, and then they're kinda toeing the ground, all aw-shucks-like, wanting their cut of the pie.

In other words, "Look what I did for you! Re-elect me!"

LMNO

I just want to pont out that 8 billion is 1.5% of 1.2 trillion.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 15, 2010, 05:12:22 PM

Yes. it's a drop in the bucket, but if enough drops aren't in the bucket then progress can be made.

Jasper

8 billion is still 8 billion. 

Chairman Risus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 15, 2010, 05:12:22 PM

A not very memorable source on MSNBC agreed with this, but pointed out that these earmarks get attached
to bills that otherwise are irresponsible or unpopular, and that because of the earmarks, get voted through.
Though, to be fair, he didn't mention specific cases of this.

Adios

$349,000 for swine waste management in North Carolina

See, shouldn't the pig farmers be doing this?

Not all of them are bad things. What is a bad thing is when they get attached to a big bill and sneak through. Put the funds in a pool, then hold open debate and open voting on the projects based on some criteria. Like will it create jobs and will it help the economy.

Jenne

Yeah, the whole premise behind the stupid earmarks are the enticements for the lawmakers to say, "well, if I vote on this, we get $20,000 to build a bridge or $100,000 to put new thermometers in the government buildings."  It's little shit that should be budgeted by the states but are like goodies for the governors and legislators.

Governors often go UP to Wash, DC to negotiate for these, from what I hear...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 05:30:48 PM

1.  Pig waste isn't a simple issue, believe it or not.  It's a horrible fucking mess, because when it's stored in quantity, it generates heat, and its chemical properties change from "fertilizer" to "Horrible shit that kills anything it touches".

2.  Good luck with that.  Let me know when you have the same number of lobbyists as pig farming corporations have.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:01:37 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 05:30:48 PM

1.  Pig waste isn't a simple issue, believe it or not.  It's a horrible fucking mess, because when it's stored in quantity, it generates heat, and its chemical properties change from "fertilizer" to "Horrible shit that kills anything it touches".

2.  Good luck with that.  Let me know when you have the same number of lobbyists as pig farming corporations have.

I wonder if we could weaponize it
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl