Slow Time in Fat City™, #11: The Long, Slow Slide

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 15, 2010, 06:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 07:42:30 PM
Yes I was.

Chips won't matter when the technology to utilize them ceases to be available.

The slide, after all, isn't about to begin, it's about 25% complete.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Good stuff, Roger, and scary.  It seems that each one of these is even better than the last.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:43:50 PM
Yes I was.

Ah. I see your point.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 07:45:47 PM
Yes I was.

Ah. I see your point.

Oppressive governments will be looked upon with nostalgia.

No shit.

Humanity has had two massive dark ages, and we're about to see #3.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nast

There's a terrible sense of denial that plays into this, and no one wants to let go us the USA #1 mentality and realize that things aren't good. It's easier to think that these things aren't supposed to happen in "America". They're supposed to happen in hot sweaty 3rd world countries.

Hungry children? They're just stray animals.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:47:53 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 07:45:47 PM
Yes I was.

Ah. I see your point.

Oppressive governments will be looked upon with nostalgia.

No shit.

Humanity has had two massive dark ages, and we're about to see #3.

As long as I have enough time to pass on a skill set learned over a lifetime to family. Without drugs and my treatments my life will be considerably shortened.

Whatever

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:30:51 PM
Quote from: Niamh on December 15, 2010, 07:14:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:10:28 PM
Quote from: Niamh on December 15, 2010, 07:07:23 PM
I'm with Charley, I'm off the grid within the next 2 years. 

Won't help.

If the breakdown of law is as bad as I fear, there won't really be anywhere to go.

And if an autocrat comes into power, it will be unlawful to be off the grid.  Hell, that's almost illegal now.

Even if I'm completely self sufficient?

Now I am waiting your way to survive this with a great deal more anticipation!!!  

What happens to farmers in lawless conditions?

Yeah I see where you are coming from.  I reckon even going back up into the hills isn't going to be an option unless I plan on moving all the time.  There are still areas on this continent (and others I am sure) you can disappear into, problem is, I don't know I have it in me to be that much of a pioneer.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Niamh on December 15, 2010, 08:01:50 PM

Won't help.

If the breakdown of law is as bad as I fear, there won't really be anywhere to go.

And if an autocrat comes into power, it will be unlawful to be off the grid.  Hell, that's almost illegal now.

Now I am waiting your way to survive this with a great deal more anticipation!!!  

Yeah I see where you are coming from.  I reckon even going back up into the hills isn't going to be an option unless I plan on moving all the time.  There are still areas on this continent (and others I am sure) you can disappear into, problem is, I don't know I have it in me to be that much of a pioneer.

Seriously, you're better off being a looter.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 08:10:30 PM

Won't help.

No shit. Without knowing what you're doing you will die in a week or less in the wild.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 08:12:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 08:10:30 PM

Won't help.

No shit. Without knowing what you're doing you will die in a week or less in the wild.

Most people are gonna die that fast no matter what, once the power stops working.  At least the looters will have some fun before they get shot and eaten.

And there isn't going to be any "wild".  Any undeveloped spot will be instantly overrun by every survival nut and gun freak.  The amount of available game will be depleted within a month at the outside.  You don't feed 301,000,000 people on deer.

Adios

The resulting Donner Dinner Party will be funny as hell though.

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The only chance I see for survival is to begin building my own empire as swiftly as possible once I can do it without reprisal from a central government.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

President Television

I've been thinking about this, and if America(and Western civilization on the whole) really is dying, and there really is nothing we can do to stop it, it seems to me that the best course of action is to throw it a proper Discordian send-off. There may be only ten or so years left, and each of those years may be progressively more horrible than the last, but maybe it's best that we do everything we can to make it as fun as possible.  This is the time to kick Operation: Mindfuck into high gear. I mean, we should make the best of our situation. No point to wallowing in misery, right? Think of it as a New Orleans funeral on a grand scale.

I don't know how I'll survive, and I'm inclined to believe that I won't, but dammit, I want the last decade of my life to be worth it.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"