News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Buchenwald Lampshade Found

Started by Adios, December 15, 2010, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-lampshade-that-drives-its-owners-mad-strange-truth-behind-20th-centurys-most-disturbing-object-2117357.html

It was the judgement of the laboratory that the minor profile might be due to handling, but that the major profile was from the lampshade itself. Dr Bever stated that, on this evidence, he would be prepared to appear in court to testify that the lampshade was of human origin. The skin is that of a white person, or persons; the precise ethnicity cannot be ascertained.

This is one incredibly interesting story.

hooplala

Holy shit... I thought that was a myth.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

The Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg, FL was rumored to have one somewhere, but refused to display it. I know never saw it in my visits, but I did see the boxcar. That was enough to make me feel reaaaaaaally creeped out.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Why am I not surprised that it was in a yard sale in NOLA?

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Jacobson tells me that he decided to donate his shade to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, in ' Washington DC. It welcomes an average of 5,000 visitors a day, who come to view its chilling installations, and audiovisual accounts recorded by survivors. One film includes footage of the so-called "Buchenwald Table", a collection of shrunken heads and other horrors, among which is a lampshade. It is not Jacobson's.

When he met Diane Saltzman, then head of collections at the museum, Jacobson recalls, "She said that none of the lampshades that have surfaced over the past 50 years have proved to be real," and maintained that the DNA test "proved nothing".

Saltzman argued, said Jacobson, that what she termed "distractions" such as human lampshades had created "fodder for the Holocaust deniers". She suggested, not unreasonably, that further laboratory tests might precisely date the lampshade's frame or stitching, but the Holocaust Museum, which has a private endowment of almost $200m and annual revenue in the region of $80m a year, declined to assist in the process. "Even if you could document this 100 per cent," Saltzman argued, "it would still be a myth."

The bolded part gets me.

the last yatto

All it would prove is there was one, not that they were being mass produced
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Adios

Quote from: Able on December 15, 2010, 07:26:38 PM

Huh?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 07:28:56 PM

Huh?

That one exists means that one Nazi was crazy... the "myth" is that lots of these existed which can't be proven with the existence of one.

Of course, I would argue that one found 60 years after the fact, a 1/4 of the way around the world is some pretty strong circumstantial evidence that more than one might have existed.

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 15, 2010, 07:32:05 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on December 15, 2010, 07:28:56 PM

Huh?

That one exists means that one Nazi was crazy... the "myth" is that lots of these existed which can't be proven with the existence of one.

Of course, I would argue that one found 60 years after the fact, a 1/4 of the way around the world is some pretty strong circumstantial evidence that more than one might have existed.

Thanks, sometimes my comprehension level fails.

The Good Reverend Roger

Nobody claimed they were being mass produced.  As far as anyone can tell, the wife one of the commandants of Buchenwald was the only person to have done this...She and her husband were executed for doing it, by the Germans.

So I'm not sure what your fucking point was.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nobody has ever argued that they were mass-produced. They could not, practically speaking, have been mass-produced. The confirmation of one, however, proves the otherwise apocryphal stories of their existence.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:36:26 PM

Nobody claimed they were being mass produced.  As far as anyone can tell, the wife one of the commandants of Buchenwald was the only person to have done this...She and her husband were executed for doing it, by the Germans.

This one?

The Bitch of Buchenwald, Ilse Koch

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 15, 2010, 07:41:14 PM
Nobody has ever argued that they were mass-produced. They could not, practically speaking, have been mass-produced. The confirmation of one, however, proves the otherwise apocryphal stories of their existence.

The stories were never apocryphal.  The Nazis who executed the commandant and his wife kept very meticulous records.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Still though, even as a "myth", it's a powerful one, and something that my mom told me YEARS ago...that she had heard of lampshades made from tattooed human skin from her grandfather (my great-grandfather, who died before I was born.)

It wouldn't surprise me if the government ordered a lot of this artifacts to be destroyed before any could have been collected as evidence.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2010, 07:36:26 PM

I think that was an attempt to explain the statement by the holocaust museum... I don't think anyone here was trying to say that it was a good argument.