News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Buchenwald Lampshade Found

Started by Adios, December 15, 2010, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2010, 02:29:54 AM
In short, it's not religion, it's PEOPLE.

There, fuck you all...If I don't eat within the next half hour I'm going to pass out.

For the record: I agree with you, Suu.  :)

Requia ☣

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2010, 02:29:54 AM
In short, it's not religion, it's PEOPLE.

There, fuck you all...If I don't eat within the next half hour I'm going to pass out.

Fair enough.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Suu

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 16, 2010, 02:22:16 AM
It's not a fundamentalist thing, almost all protestant faiths profess a belief in biblical literalism.

I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Sorry.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2010, 02:38:25 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 16, 2010, 02:22:16 AM
It's not a fundamentalist thing, almost all protestant faiths profess a belief in biblical literalism.

I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Sorry.

I'm going to concede it, as I can't find a source I trust.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on December 16, 2010, 12:35:31 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2010, 12:33:40 AM
For the record, I, too, think Israel is a political abomination and a human rights nightmare.

But that's a political opinion, not anti-semitism.

Yep. Hating Israel as a political entity is vastly different from hating Jews. Sometimes people have a really hard time recognizing or accepting that, though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2010, 03:57:34 AM
For the record, I, too, think Israel is a political abomination and a human rights nightmare.

Yep. Hating Israel as a political entity is vastly different from hating Jews. Sometimes people have a really hard time recognizing or accepting that, though.

didn't you hear? disagreement with Israel or anything it does is the new anti-semitism.

obviously.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

The Good Reverend Roger

Yeah, but I don't see you defending Nazis or hating on Jews.

Personally, I think the state of Israel is about the worst "ally" we've ever had.  But my buddy back in Chicago, Steve Goldman, well, he doesn't do a damned thing to Palistinians.  He just kinda goes to work and tries to raise his daughter (He's doing a great job of that, too.  She's probably going to Westpoint.).
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 16, 2010, 12:56:36 PM

didn't you hear? disagreement with Israel or anything it does is the new anti-semitism.

obviously.

That's not what happened here.  Fuck off, you scabby little twit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

Met a few Israelis in college.  They were pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.  They were mostly interested in drinking, clubbing, and didn't see what the big deal was about guns or military service.  (A quiet evening with the family was cleaning their pistols while watching "90210")  About as much political interest as most people our age back then.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cain

Just to point out, bringing up Israel in the context of talking about Jews helps to reinforce the link between the two in an unfair way.

There are more Jews in America than there are in Israel, for example.  Israel is not representative of Judaism, nor does it have anything like a stranglehold on Jewish identity, as much as it likes to pretend to.

The best way to deal with this problem is to tell people to stop it when they bring up Israel when talking about Jews and Judaism more generally, as there is really no legitimate reason to do so.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on December 16, 2010, 02:11:41 PM
Just to point out, bringing up Israel in the context of talking about Jews helps to reinforce the link between the two in an unfair way.

There are more Jews in America than there are in Israel, for example.  Israel is not representative of Judaism, nor does it have anything like a stranglehold on Jewish identity, as much as it likes to pretend to.

The best way to deal with this problem is to tell people to stop it when they bring up Israel when talking about Jews and Judaism more generally, as there is really no legitimate reason to do so.

As people who have met both will tell you: There is a huge difference between being Israeli and being Jewish. They aren't mutually exclusive, but they are nowhere near the same thing either.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 16, 2010, 01:44:58 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 16, 2010, 12:56:36 PM

obviously.

That's not what happened here.  Fuck off, you scabby little twit.

wasn't talking to you, dick.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Especially since 20% of the population is Arab.  16% of the population are Muslim, 2% are Christian and 1.5% are Druze.

The Israeli government likes to portray itself as a "Jewish and democratic state", it simply isn't so.  20% of the Jewish population is secular in the first place, and many of the ethnically Russian Israelis have, uh, dubious backgrounds, to put it mildly.

Suu

The couple Israelis I've met were fucking tapped. Wonderfully nice people for the most part, but just CRAZY.

Then again, so were the Bosnians and Serbians I went to school with in Florida. It's not cool seeing pictures of 13 year olds in the army holding semi-autos bigger than their frames. Unfortunately, that was their lives, and that's how they had to adapt to live. They had no love of that lifestyle, I assure you...It's one of those things we REALLY take for granted living in the United States.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Phox

To clarify lest it should be misinterpreted, I was agreeing with your statements, Cain. Rereading it, it could be taken as trying to correct you, which would be incredibly stupid of me, since you know way more about all of this shit than I ever will.  :)