News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Republicans to can Big Bird, Baby Einstein and your kids' school art program:

Started by Suu, January 28, 2011, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/01/congress-republicans-nea-neh.html

QuoteFederal support for arts and culture is now officially in the cross hairs of congressional Republicans, if that's a metaphor we're still allowed to use.

Any way you want to describe it, the Republican Study Committee, made up of about 165 GOP members of the House of Representatives, on Thursday announced a budget-cutting plan aimed at slashing federal spending, and it calls for the elimination of the nation's two leading makers of government arts grants: the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. Also on the chopping block is the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Phox

Quote from: Suu on January 28, 2011, 10:45:53 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2011/01/congress-republicans-nea-neh.html

QuoteFederal support for arts and culture is now officially in the cross hairs of congressional Republicans, if that's a metaphor we're still allowed to use.

Any way you want to describe it, the Republican Study Committee, made up of about 165 GOP members of the House of Representatives, on Thursday announced a budget-cutting plan aimed at slashing federal spending, and it calls for the elimination of the nation's two leading makers of government arts grants: the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. Also on the chopping block is the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
:x

.... I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country.

Suu

Oh, and this pretty much destroys any chance that General Stuart would have been awarded a public sector archaeological gig this year. I guess cutting spending isn't going to help the economy after all!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Foreign aid is also in the crosshairs, thanks to Rand Paul.

To be fair some foreign aid is stupid and counterproductive (giving Israel $3 billion a year so they can tell the US to fuck off when asked to stop building settlements in the Occupied Territories, giving nearly as much every year to Egypt to not have a revolution or declare war on Israel) but some of it is pretty necessary, or at least non-damaging and profitable for all involved.

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 28, 2011, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: Suu on January 28, 2011, 10:45:53 PM

:x

.... I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country. I hate this country.
Fucking THIS.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

They've been wanting to do this for YEARS.  Ever hear a Republican wax on and on about the NEA and the kind of "art" that it "allows"?  Shameless--godless--downright disgusting and awful (crucifixes in urine and anal bullwhips are promptly displayed as such examples).  And CPB is LIBRUL ME-DEE-UH!  So they've been chomping at the bit since the Clinton era to get these programs axed out of the budget.