News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Our Planets Shall Blot Out the Moon!

Started by Remington, December 20, 2010, 11:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

Breaking news: full-moon lunar eclipse tonight, on the eve of the winter solstice! It's going to be visible from all of North America:

1:33 AM: Partial eclipse begins
2:41-3:53 AM: Total eclipse

Times are in EST.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/17dec_solsticeeclipse/

QuoteThe luster will be a bit "off" on Dec. 21st, the first day of northern winter, when the full Moon passes almost dead-center through Earth's shadow. For 72 minutes of eerie totality, an amber light will play across the snows of North America, throwing landscapes into an unusual state of ruddy shadow.

The eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST (Monday, Dec. 20th, at 10:33 pm PST). At that time, Earth's shadow will appear as a dark-red bite at the edge of the lunar disk. It takes about an hour for the "bite" to expand and swallow the entire Moon. Totality commences at 02:41 am EST (11:41 pm PST) and lasts for 72 minutes.

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -­ it is December, after all -­ choose this moment: 03:17 am EST (17 minutes past midnight PST). That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

To reiterate, this is awesome on three levels:

1. Total lunar eclipse
2. With a full moon
3. On the day of the Winter Solstice
Is it plugged in?

Suu

I'll be in Florida for this tonight. No clouds!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

This would explain why the cats have been acting more batty than usual. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Ugh...we have too many clouds for me to be able to see this--nonstop storms until Wednesday!

Whatever

Personally I'm just not going to get my ass out of bed at 2 in the morning to watch the moon disappear.  It's fucking cold outside.  Not that this isn't very cool and all, but I doubt missing work for an eclipse would go over well  :lulz:

Phox

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Requia ☣

It would of course happen the only time of the year that we have clouds where I live.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Richter

Clouded over here, with snow flurries predicted.  :crankey:

Otherwise, having tomorrow off, work, I'd happily stay up late, call people over, drink, howl at the sky and make fire until the light comes back.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Kai

Quote from: Remington on December 20, 2010, 11:32:57 AM
To reiterate, this is awesome on three levels:

1. Total lunar eclipse
2. With a full moon
3. On the day of the Winter Solstice

Just want to point out that lunar eclipses are always during the full moon.

Overcast here, with snow expected 100%.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nast

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 20, 2010, 08:59:52 PM
It's cloudy as fuck here.  :argh!:

Same here. :(

It's raining

It's pouring

The eclipse

is boring
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Chairman Risus

No clouds. I've made an event out of this. I'll be sure to enjoy it enough for the rest of you kids that didn't make your proper weather god sacrifices.

AFK

I'm too old and tired to stay up.  I imagine there will be youtube clips somewhere. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Risus on December 21, 2010, 01:25:56 AM
No clouds. I've made an event out of this. I'll be sure to enjoy it enough for the rest of you kids that didn't make your proper weather god sacrifices.

I did, but to the rain gods for rain.  :sad:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS