News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Net neutrality

Started by Adios, December 20, 2010, 03:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Interesting.

I'm not up on mobile phones and the internet (unsurprising, since I own an 8 year old Nokia model), but do mobile phones use the same wireless infrastructure as, say, wireless laptops?  So if you were using a wireless connection at home to watch Youtube clips of Glee all night long, would this ruling affect you the same as if you did it on your iPhone?

Adios

Quote from: Cain on December 21, 2010, 05:27:59 PM
Interesting.

I'm not up on mobile phones and the internet (unsurprising, since I own an 8 year old Nokia model), but do mobile phones use the same wireless infrastructure as, say, wireless laptops?  So if you were using a wireless connection at home to watch Youtube clips of Glee all night long, would this ruling affect you the same as if you did it on your iPhone?

Yes, they use the same transponders from the satellites. There are plenty of transponders that could be opened up but are being held in reserve.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on December 21, 2010, 05:27:59 PM
Interesting.

If you are using a 3G or 4G AirCard, then yes, it works just like your cell phone. Of course, if you're using 802.11 wireless ethernet (via a local router) then that's not on the cell network. All iPads for example can talk on 802.11 and they work at Starbucks etc. If you buy the 3G enabled iPad, then it can also talk on AT&T's 3G cellular network.

If you have the new G2 smartphone from t-mobile, it communicates on the same network that your 8 year old Nokia from t-mobile uses AND the same network that your laptop with the t-mobile card/dongle uses. It now support 4G speeds (which is really about the bandwidth between the device and the tower), but its the same backbone and network getting munched.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Here's the thing:  ETS, a so-called "non-profit" organization, prizes its tests and their confidentiality not just for CHEATING's sake but also for competition's sake.  Any person rating their material in a non-secure connection is subject to dismissal and eventual termination.  You have to be in a secure internet environment, not in a hotel, not at an internet cafe, etc.  They also don't want you using digital internet phone service, either, you must also have a landline or a cell phone separately.

the last yatto

Isn't ATT waiting on a nice chunk of the wireless spectrum?
The same company that has quota payrates?
And that 90% of people don't use over 2 gigs

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

4g is a myth, normal traffic... just compressed
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Able on December 21, 2010, 07:35:47 PM
4g is a myth, normal traffic... just compressed

Yes... which is why I said its on the same network taking up the same backbone. Its just the bit between the phone and tower that is "4G".

the last yatto

Just saying the committee that usually decides the standards for these thing didn't

Requia ☣

What I really want to know, is whether these rules will allow the telcoms to ignore existing contractual obligations.  I don't really see what the net neutrality advocates are claiming being possible, the business partners of the last mile providers will flip their shit if AT&T et al really tried to pull that (they do it to Level 3 all the time, because Level 3 tries to pull shit), but if the FCC is passing rules that lets AT&T ignore its contracts with the other backbone providers it becomes a very real possibility.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 21, 2010, 08:32:50 PM
What I really want to know, is whether these rules will allow the telcoms to ignore existing contractual obligations.  I don't really see what the net neutrality advocates are claiming being possible, the business partners of the last mile providers will flip their shit if AT&T et al really tried to pull that (they do it to Level 3 all the time, because Level 3 tries to pull shit), but if the FCC is passing rules that lets AT&T ignore its contracts with the other backbone providers it becomes a very real possibility.

Err... the 'last mile' generally refers to landline. As far as the rumors go, landline Internet (Cable, DSL, Satellite, dial-up) would NOT be allowed to block services, do QoS routing based on backroom deals or anything like that. It would ONLY be the wireless providers that could refuse to provide access to specific internet services/websites.

So AT&T DSL can't block, but AT&T Wireless Network can.

I think... based on rumor.

It pisses me off more that we don't even get to see this new rule until after it goes into effect.

Jenne

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 21, 2010, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 21, 2010, 08:32:50 PM

Err... the 'last mile' generally refers to landline. As far as the rumors go, landline Internet (Cable, DSL, Satellite, dial-up) would NOT be allowed to block services, do QoS routing based on backroom deals or anything like that. It would ONLY be the wireless providers that could refuse to provide access to specific internet services/websites.

So AT&T DSL can't block, but AT&T Wireless Network can.

I think... based on rumor.

It pisses me off more that we don't even get to see this new rule until after it goes into effect.

Me too.  It's bullshit.

Jasper

What did you expect?  A democracy of informed citizens? 

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 21, 2010, 09:58:25 PM
What did you expect?  A democracy of informed citizens? 

You think this is a free country? HA!

Adios

Assange should be happy with this. /sarcasm/

President Barack Obama, in a written statement, called the rules an important part of his administration's goal of advancing "American innovation, economic growth and job creation."

"Today's decision will help preserve the free and open nature of the Internet while encouraging innovation, protecting consumer choice, and defending free speech," Obama said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/12/21/fcc.net.neutrality/index.html?hpt=T1

Jasper

Why does he even say those things?  He's not telling us a damn thing.  When politicians start with the whole "innovation, freedom, good stuff, et cetera", I just hear "We have control.  We keep you safe." over and over.