News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Well Duh: Study Finds Fox News Makes Ya Stupid

Started by Jenne, December 21, 2010, 04:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

It's not made clear that confounding variables were cleared up, though. In other words, it could just be that idiots, who are idiots for other reasons than watching Fox, are the ones who are watching Fox.

Either way,  :lulz:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Adios

I dropped 10 IQ points just reading this thread.

AFK

It should be pointed out that the Fox News effect isn't limited to the Repubilcans and Conservatives who watch the network.  If you click on the link that goes to the actual poll, it comments that the Democrats who watched Fox News were also likely to be misinformed.

Also, just to be "fair and balance" the study pointed out that NPR and PBS viewers tended to be misinformed on a couple of issues too.  But it seemed to be not nearly as pronounced as it was with Fox News viewers.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Is there anyone out there who honestly expects honest and unbiased reporting in this day and age?

LMNO

No, due to the nature of human behavior.

However, I do expect an attempt at reducing bias as much as possible. 

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 21, 2010, 04:40:23 PM
No, due to the nature of human behavior.

However, I do expect an attempt at reducing bias as much as possible. 

So do I. However, we seem to be forced into the interesting situation of reading information from all sides and then having to try to sort the truth out for ourselves. I don't mind that so much.

Cain

News in general makes people stupid.  "News" is rushed, unchecked, ill-informed, and often either disguised PR or propaganda.

Everyone should really read Flat Earth News.  I know I've mentioned this before, but it's shocking for even people with a cynical view of reporting.

Requia ☣

In other news, alternet has no journalistic integrity at all, or maybe just lack basic academic skills.   :lulz:

(Short version, the study really says what Cain said).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Oh, the study also says that 17% of people who voted Democrat are birthers.   :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 21, 2010, 07:54:16 PM
In other news, alternet has no journalistic integrity at all, or maybe just lack basic academic skills.   :lulz:

(Short version, the study really says what Cain said).

sorry, I was too lazy to find an alternative source.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

On one hand... I totally agree with the jist of the article. On the other hand, the article appears horrifically biased (or at least opinion based).

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 21, 2010, 09:38:19 PM
On one hand... I totally agree with the jist of the article. On the other hand, the article appears horrifically biased (or at least opinion based).

:lulz:

Of course it is.  So's the title of the OP.

Cain

Alternet cater pretty exclusively to the progressive wing of the democrats and the Green Party faithful.  Occasionally they have a good article (esp back in 2008, when they, in a fit of insanity, allowed Matt Taibbi to cover the Presidential race and taunt the Truthers).

One day I'm going to sit down and type of out everything of importance in Flat Earth News for you lot.

AFK

Here is the link to the poll the article is based upon: http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brunitedstatescanadara/671.php?nid=&id=&pnt=671&lb=

If you read the report of the findings you'll see that it is actually more focused on the influence of money on elections.  The Fox News/Media portion is just one of the narratives in the summary. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.