News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Recommendations please

Started by Shub-Crackerath, December 30, 2010, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on December 30, 2010, 06:39:56 PM
I can't point you to a 'free' copy, but I seriously recommend "Common Sense Tarot" by Camden Benares (one of the Old Skool Discordians).

http://www.amazon.com/Common-Sense-Tarot-Complete-Reading/dp/0878771778

From the editor: "The purpose of reading a book is to inform and entertain," said Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren in their invaluable classic, How to Read a Book. We can say the same of reading the Tarot, for as Camden Benares claims, the Tarot cards are for storytelling. "I use them to tell a story that relates to your life in some way," he explains. The information on which this story is based comes from the meaning of the individual cards and the significance of their positions in the layout. Knowledge of human behavior and insight from the client's presentation of self, verbal and nonverbal, will also add to the reading.

This book is written for the individual who would like to tell entertaining stories for friends and clients, giving information about people's lives based on the book's direct and straight-forward interpretations of the cards. Given some time and effort, according to Benares, these basic meanings can be memorized. The book also provides a variety of layouts that emphasize different kinds of information that go into making up the story one tells. In keeping with his intention of entertainment, the author's interpretations are simple and affirmative. He likes to encourage the client to discern his or her own potential for achievement. How useful this story actually is, Benares emphasizes, should be left totally up to the client. All decisions resulting from the reading are made only by the client who is responsible for determining his or her own future...

That editorial gets x100 for referencing Adler and Doren.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish