News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Spending cuts, or Politics as usual?

Started by Adios, December 27, 2010, 04:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Republicans view their midterm electoral victory as a mandate to cut spending, and cutting $100 billion from a $3 trillion federal budget sounds like a reasonable goal.

But GOP leaders say they will focus only on non-security discretionary spending, and won't slash funding for defense, Social Security or Medicare.

That makes their task a lot harder.

Cutting non-security discretionary funds by $100 billion means a 21% annual reduction in the part of the budget that includes funding for education, health and human services and housing and urban development, among other things, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a liberal think tank.

In other words, the sacred cows of domestic Democratic policy.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/27/news/economy/GOP_budget_promise/index.htm?cnn=yes

Is the GOP strategy really going to be this obvious? Will anyone really notice?

Requia ☣

Senate republicans already rejected a massive spending cut bill (in committee) so I'm guessing politics as usual.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

Adios

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Meh, if they can't afford bread... let them eat Twinkies.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

In the words of my mother (the died-in-the-wool GOPite):  Unless and until people in the US take to the streets in protest like they did in Europe over this, it will go virtually unnoticed except by the media shit-stirrers.  (My mom never says "shit-stirrers" but that's what she meant.)

I have to agree, and Katty Kay or however you spell her name said the same thing last weekend.  Even though the Teabaggers and the GOPers didn't want to lay down what it was they are willing to cut when interviewed before the last Congress left this past week, we all know what it was they were going to do once back in session and getting down to business.  Rocket Science, this isn't.

And the fact it's happening in Yurp will only work to their advantage.  There's nothing the GOP likes better than to look like they are only doing what everyone ELSE thinks they should--since they paint the Dem-Libs as leftist Europhiles who ape their every move.  "See, we're only doing with the Democrats WISH they had the balls to do!"

The Good Reverend Roger

HAW HAW!

I can't wait to see the teabaggers at Capitol Grilling explain this away.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Eliminate the war on drugs.
Eliminate the war on terror.
Eliminate Top Secret America.

Then America would be debt free in short order.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 27, 2010, 06:13:37 PM

And if that were their objective, they'd do just that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Naw, your formula does not compute, because each of those elements goes under the subheading of "Security."  :lulz:  GOP'ers would find each of those things OFF the table.  You'd have to come back with someone less obvious. 

The trick is to make each of those sound like a public works program.  Then they'd cut it right the fuck off, and to the quick!

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2010, 06:12:08 PM
HAW HAW!

I can't wait to see the teabaggers at Capitol Grilling explain this away.

LOL, keep us informed please.

Adios

Quote from: Jenne on December 27, 2010, 06:16:44 PM

Naw, your formula does not compute, because each of those elements goes under the subheading of "Security."  :lulz:  GOP'ers would find each of those things OFF the table.  You'd have to come back with someone less obvious. 

The trick is to make each of those sound like a public works program.  Then they'd cut it right the fuck off, and to the quick!

Top Secret America = Government sponsored welfare for spying.
The War on drugs = Government sponsored welfare for rednecks in 4-wheel drives.
The war on terror = Government sponsored corporate welfare.

Jenne

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 27, 2010, 06:20:53 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 27, 2010, 06:16:44 PM

Top Secret America = Government sponsored welfare for spying.
The War on drugs = Government sponsored welfare for rednecks in 4-wheel drives.
The war on terror = Government sponsored corporate welfare.

That's the ticket...but you gotta get more minorities in there.  The rednecks are too close to being "family."  Or so it's said, anyway, to get the Teabaggers riled up.

Reginald Ret

Uhmm, no that'd get you about 10% of what you need to balance the budget.
That is without actually starting to pay back your huge ass debt.

Here, have a budget.
http://www.freedomainradio.com/traffic_jams/tn57.pdf
You need to reduce it by about 2 trillion, go play.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Adios

Quote from: Regret on December 27, 2010, 11:12:57 PM

Uhmm, no that'd get you about 10% of what you need to balance the budget.
That is without actually starting to pay back your huge ass debt.

Here, have a budget.
http://www.freedomainradio.com/traffic_jams/tn57.pdf
You need to reduce it by about 2 trillion, go play.

Between 2009 and 2010, the average monthly cost of the Iraq war fell $1.8 billion to $5.4 billion, a 25% drop. But increased spending in Afghanistan ate up that savings–and a bit more. Monthly costs rose $2.2 billion to $5.7, billion, a 63% increase.
Overall, CRS estimates that the U.S. has spent $1.1 trillion on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...-report-shows/

Hawk,
just sayin'