News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Hypocrisy much?

Started by Adios, December 27, 2010, 09:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a communique that the White House was troubled by "what appears to be an abusive use of the legal system for improper ends".

"We are deeply concerned that a Russian judge today has indicated that for a second time Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Platon Lebedev will be convicted," he said.
Continue reading the main story
"Start Quote

It is not a bad thing that Khodorkovsky is in jail. But it is a bad thing that others like him are not in jail"

End Quote Sergei M, St Petersburg

* Views from Russia

"The apparent selective application of the law to these individuals undermines Russia's reputation as a country committed to deepening the rule of law."

Earlier, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the verdict would have a "negative impact on Russia's reputation".

German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said he was "very worried" by the conviction.

"The way the trial has been conducted is extremely dubious and a step backward on the road toward a modernisation of the country," he said in a statement.

"It is in the interest of our Russian partners to take these concerns seriously and to stand up for the rule of law, democracy and human rights."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12083773

Wow. I love the way they like to point at other countries and then justify their own actions.

The Good Reverend Roger

Yeah, good thing Eric Holder hasn't got his hired geeks going full-bore trying to selectively apply the "law" to Juliane Assange.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2010, 09:23:38 PM
Yeah, good thing Eric Holder hasn't got his hired geeks going full-bore trying to selectively apply the "law" to Juliane Assange.

That name was in my mind when I posted this!  :lulz:

Cain

We had Malcolm Rifkind on the news, lecturing us about how terrible this all is.

It would be much easier to take his whining seriously if

a) he didn't own a mercenary company profiting off American and British wars
b) he wasn't Foreign Secretary during the Bosnian crisis, and wasn't willing to stand aside and let hundreds of thousands of Bosnian Muslims and Croats be ethnically cleansed or killed by Serbian forces

But he was and he did.  So, uh, yeah.

It's also worth noting that all Russian oligarchs made their fortune during a period when Russia literally had no laws, but through acts which were illegal under both the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation's laws, and that this is a case of one scumbag picking on another, and that democracy in Russia has been a cheap joke since the very start, especially when Yeltsin was stuff ballot boxes with the "votes" of dead Chechens his military forces had killed, with the full backing of the UK and USA, in order to stop the Communists winning an election which happened, as I recall, during the time Rifkind was still in government.

But now he cares about democracy and the rule of law and stuff.  Yeah.  Like, totally man.  Fight the power.

Adios

Sad, isn't it? I can almost hear the bleating of the sheep running to the feed trough to eat this bullshit up.

Chairman Risus

Maybe they makes these sorts of announcements for precisely these reasons. They think it's downright comical to pull this gag. Points go to whoever who can condemn the hardest and preach the longest without cracking up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Risus on December 28, 2010, 05:46:37 PM
Maybe they makes these sorts of announcements for precisely these reasons. They think it's downright comical to pull this gag.

I know I would.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Using language unusually blunt for a diplomatic statement, the Russian foreign ministry slammed "unacceptable" Western pressure in a process that has long been a bone of contention between Moscow and its ex-Cold War foes.

"We expect everyone to mind his own business, both at home and in the international arena," it said. "Attempts to exert pressure on the court are unacceptable," the foreign ministry said.
http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/world-news?oid=161359&sn=Detail&pid=40&Russia-tells-West--mind-own-business--over-tycoon

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Maybe they makes these sorts of announcements for precisely these reasons. They think it's downright comical to pull this gag. Points go to whoever who can condemn the hardest and preach the longest without cracking up.

I disagree... I think most of them really believe their own bullshit. But maybe I'm a hopeless optimist  :lulz: :horrormirth:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 28, 2010, 06:14:40 PM

I disagree... I think most of them really believe their own bullshit. But maybe I'm a hopeless optimist  :lulz: :horrormirth:

Hellen Keller wasn't even that fucking blind.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 28, 2010, 06:14:40 PM

Some of them do.  Most of their followers are desperate to believe it.