News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Simulate everything project.

Started by Adios, December 28, 2010, 04:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2010, 09:20:46 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on December 28, 2010, 09:18:28 PM
Quote from: Richter on December 28, 2010, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 28, 2010, 04:54:07 PM
I can't possibly conceive the amount of memory needed to do this.

For a totaly inclusive and accurate model it would be beyond impractical.  Everything would have to be tracked from at least the molecular level to even approach accuracy, tracking molecule on Earth, knowing exactly where each was at the same instant as a starting point.  (Which could be really fun to observe the changes that arose between simualtion and reality due to atomic / subatomic forces over time, and how fast they accumulate to affect the model's accuracy.)

That having been said, this is likely to need to take signifigant shortcuts just to get going.

This is where that holographic universe theory would come in handy... they would only need to process the relatively smaller chunks of inclusive data and extrapolate. However, since that model may be entirely bullshit, I'm not sure what they think they're doing.

They've probably found a way to market error.

In the right marketplace error, risk, critical failure points, LD50's, and minimum time to break in are valuable things indeed.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on December 28, 2010, 09:23:19 PM

For a totaly inclusive and accurate model it would be beyond impractical.  Everything would have to be tracked from at least the molecular level to even approach accuracy, tracking molecule on Earth, knowing exactly where each was at the same instant as a starting point.  (Which could be really fun to observe the changes that arose between simualtion and reality due to atomic / subatomic forces over time, and how fast they accumulate to affect the model's accuracy.)

That having been said, this is likely to need to take signifigant shortcuts just to get going.

This is where that holographic universe theory would come in handy... they would only need to process the relatively smaller chunks of inclusive data and extrapolate. However, since that model may be entirely bullshit, I'm not sure what they think they're doing.

In the right marketplace error, risk, critical failure points, LD50's, and minimum time to break in are valuable things indeed.

Someone bought stock in R.  :lulz:

This thing is a Von Neumann engine for fail.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:lulz:

Hell yeah, its not like most of these predictions ever work out... and they don't have a good strong Dobbs level refund policy.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 28, 2010, 09:27:06 PM

Hell yeah, its not like most of these predictions ever work out... and they don't have a good strong Dobbs level refund policy.

IMA DEVELOP A MODEL THAT DEMANDS ACCURATE DATA, AND PUT FLAWED DATA IN, AND THEN RECYCLE UNTIL THE GRANT MONEY RUNS OUT!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2010, 09:29:46 PM

IMA DEVELOP A MODEL THAT DEMANDS ACCURATE DATA, AND PUT FLAWED DATA IN, AND THEN RECYCLE UNTIL THE GRANT MONEY RUNS OUT!

FOR SCIENCE! (and Mammon)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Phox

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 28, 2010, 09:31:45 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 28, 2010, 09:29:46 PM

FOR SCIENCE! (and Mammon)

The Good Reverend Roger

Rat wins the global interbutt model.   :lulz:

Adios

MMIX

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 28, 2010, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 28, 2010, 07:43:07 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on December 28, 2010, 04:45:20 PM
An international group of scientists are aiming to create a simulator that can replicate everything happening on Earth - from global weather patterns and the spread of diseases to international financial transactions or congestion on Milton Keynes' roads.

Nicknamed the Living Earth Simulator (LES), the project aims to advance the scientific understanding of what is taking place on the planet, encapsulating the human actions that shape societies and the environmental forces that define the physical world.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12012082

Somehow this makes me squirm uncomfortably.

I'm picturing a bunch of old dudes like that shadow conspiracy group from the X-Files.  All gathering together at some British location, sipping tea, and plotting how to take over the world with aliens. 

Well, as long as they use aliens.  :)

But us Brits are aliens Charley
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Adios

Quote from: MMIX on December 28, 2010, 10:40:29 PM
An international group of scientists are aiming to create a simulator that can replicate everything happening on Earth - from global weather patterns and the spread of diseases to international financial transactions or congestion on Milton Keynes' roads.

Nicknamed the Living Earth Simulator (LES), the project aims to advance the scientific understanding of what is taking place on the planet, encapsulating the human actions that shape societies and the environmental forces that define the physical world.

I'm picturing a bunch of old dudes like that shadow conspiracy group from the X-Files.  All gathering together at some British location, sipping tea, and plotting how to take over the world with aliens. 

I should have known. After all, you can't speak proper American.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 28, 2010, 10:46:11 PM

I dunno, Charley. I've smoked many a fag in my day.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 28, 2010, 10:48:15 PM

Words cannot describe the horrible and funny thoughts running through my head right now.

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 28, 2010, 10:49:18 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on December 28, 2010, 10:48:15 PM

Words cannot describe the horrible and funny thoughts running through my head right now.

My job here is done.  :lulz:

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

Spanish?
Sleepless nights at the chateau