News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Italy to ban plastic bags

Started by Adios, January 01, 2011, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 01, 2011, 06:37:27 PM
He considerado mudarse a México. Joh'nyx ¿tiene usted alguna idea sobre esto?

San Miguel de Allende esta lleno de compatriotas tuyos, familias enteras, el razonamiento de muchos de ellos es que el dinero de sus retiros les rinde mucho más aquí que en su propio país. Entonces en cierta forma esta bien, digo, hay una comunidad de americanos, aunque no se que tan cercanos sean entre ellos.

Pero todo el país vive bajo una constante violencia, practicamente el unico lugar con "gobernabilidad" y sin inseguridad es Querétaro. Entonces depende mucho de los criterios personales de necesidades básicas.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Adios

Gracias. Entiendo que la violencia y no quieren quedar atrapados en ella. Parece sin embargo que los mexicanos tienen más libertad personal que nosotros.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Faust on January 01, 2011, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on January 01, 2011, 06:04:44 PM

Just a retarded "green" fad, like banning smoking in bars, ffs.
Well in ireland it certainly ism't just a fad. All countries that rely on tourism and scenic villages and countryside should have the same we do. It was a HUGE improvement over seeing them sticking out of every hedge and gutter.

THIS.

Turkey is sooo fucking ugly with all the plastic discarded bits everywhere.

Anyone know if they're also outlawed in Spain, btw? When I was in Valencia last year, we were wondering about how clean the streets were.

In NL we haven't outlawed plastic bags (yet?), but it's not plastic bags that litter our streets. I'd say we have a medium amount of litter on the streets, but a lot of it is food packaging/wrappers and cigarette butts. I dunno, maybe because most people indeed tend to re-use their plastic bags for many purposes?

And why not styrofoam? Indeed, why not :) But they have to start somewhere, I guess. Also I haven't really seen styrofoam littering the streets.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

Well, after kicking this around in my head I came down on the side of being in favor of it. More and more I see people using those canvas like bags that you pay a dollar for and then reuse them over and over. Besides, at least paper is biodegradable.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 01, 2011, 08:09:58 PM
Quote from: Faust on January 01, 2011, 06:43:35 PM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on January 01, 2011, 06:04:44 PM

Just a retarded "green" fad, like banning smoking in bars, ffs.
Well in ireland it certainly ism't just a fad. All countries that rely on tourism and scenic villages and countryside should have the same we do. It was a HUGE improvement over seeing them sticking out of every hedge and gutter.

THIS.

Turkey is sooo fucking ugly with all the plastic discarded bits everywhere.

Anyone know if they're also outlawed in Spain, btw? When I was in Valencia last year, we were wondering about how clean the streets were.

In NL we haven't outlawed plastic bags (yet?), but it's not plastic bags that litter our streets. I'd say we have a medium amount of litter on the streets, but a lot of it is food packaging/wrappers and cigarette butts. I dunno, maybe because most people indeed tend to re-use their plastic bags for many purposes?

And why not styrofoam? Indeed, why not :) But they have to start somewhere, I guess. Also I haven't really seen styrofoam littering the streets.

This is exactly why. It's entirely possible that styrofoam is having a worse effect on the environment than plastic bags, but out of sight, out of mind.

Triple Zero

"it's entirely possible" ?? What does that even mean, either it is, or it isn't, but if you actually don't know, then it just clouds the discussion.

BTW it's also entirely possible that every three out of five salmons have a much, much worse effect on the environment than styrofoam, plastic bags and mayonaise, combined.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Adios

Another thing...PLASTIC DISPOSABLE WATER BOTTLES ALL OVER THE SIDE OF THE FUCKING ROAD!  :argh!:

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 01, 2011, 08:50:05 PM
"it's entirely possible" ?? What does that even mean, either it is, or it isn't, but if you actually don't know, then it just clouds the discussion.

BTW it's also entirely possible that every three out of five salmons have a much, much worse effect on the environment than styrofoam, plastic bags and mayonaise, combined.

I just meant to point out that there are bigger problems due to pollution than plastic bags. Banning plastic bags seems more an aesthetic decision, rather than actual concern over the environment.

Adios

I think it has very much to do with the environment.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 01, 2011, 10:08:03 PM
I think it has very much to do with the environment.

I'm just having a cynical moment.

The Johnny

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 01, 2011, 06:57:36 PM
Gracias. Entiendo que la violencia y no quieren quedar atrapados en ella. Parece sin embargo que los mexicanos tienen más libertad personal que nosotros.

Well, we can get into a discussion in terms of specific examples, because even do in a general sense theres more liberties, theres other kinds of limitations that screw over those same liberties.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Juana

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 01, 2011, 06:01:55 PM
The entire concept just surprised me I guess. I am still not sure how I feel about it. Why not styrofoam as well?
Oakland, California has banned it. Which I totally support and wish my city would as well, because they're ugly and bad for the environment. Our streets are pretty much litter free (because the city cleans all that shit up weekly), but what litter we do have tends to be styrofoam cups.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Sir Squid Diddimus

I love those reusable canvas bags.
Some of the ones I got from Publix fold up and have a snap on them so they're like the size of a .. cd case (remember those?) or something.
I can use those things everywhere

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hover Cat on January 01, 2011, 10:57:25 PM
The entire concept just surprised me I guess. I am still not sure how I feel about it. Why not styrofoam as well?
Oakland, California has banned it. Which I totally support and wish my city would as well, because they're ugly and bad for the environment. Our streets are pretty much litter free (because the city cleans all that shit up weekly), but what litter we do have tends to be styrofoam cups.

That's one thing btw, styrofoam cups are really rare over here. Most disposable cups are either cardboard/paper or non-foam polystyrene. Still people tend to throw them in waste-baskets.

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 02, 2011, 11:43:28 AM
Quote from: Hover Cat on January 01, 2011, 10:57:25 PM

That's one thing btw, styrofoam cups are really rare over here. Most disposable cups are either cardboard/paper or non-foam polystyrene. Still people tend to throw them in waste-baskets.
Same here, I think they may be banned too. We don't have styrofoam problem any more either thankfully.
Sleepless nights at the chateau